Marty3004
Hi

My old 20 year old cat has been diagnosed with an aggressive cancer which has spread to her lymph nodes. We were worried that she was loosing weight and not eating properly so took her to the vet. They found a lump in her abdomen and we decided to go for an operation to remove. It was 10cm  in size bless her.  They sent it away for testing to see if it was cancerous. Soon after the op she started to pick up and eat well, has put on weight and started being more like her old self which was a joy to us.  We just got the results back and it was cancer which has spread.   The vet has put her on chemotherapy pills and steroids but says it's probably weeks to month before she deteriorates a lot.

I'm really struggling with the grief and how to handle it. I'm a crazy cat man who lives for my fury babies and I can't look at her without getting upset.  

Whats worse is she's been such a brave old lady to get through the operation and he seems to be doing so well but it's knowing what's round the corner which is so hard to handle.  14 years ago I lost another cat after a long and painful battle with inflammatory bowel decease which kind of traumatised me and I'm now dreading her getting really sick and when to make the decision to let her go.

Due to covid I'm working from home which is a blessing as I can spend lots of time spoiling her but its also a curse as im constantly getting upset and worrying all the time. Shes still enjoying sitting in ths garden on her chair in the sun and snuggling up in bed.

People without pets don't understand how hard it is saying goodbye, she's a member of the family and the kindest most gentle soul u could ever meet.  Friends keep saying she's 20 so has have good life but it's not helping, I don't want to say goodbye. Her daddy can't save her from this and that's hard to handle.

I suppose I just wanted to get off my chest to people going through something similar and knew what I'm going through. 
Martin
Quote 2 0
MZG
So sorry, I just lost my best animal friend ever... Pete was 14 and was diagnosed with Lymphoma 3 months ago. He held on well with Prednisone since then, but in the past week went into steep decline. Yesterday we had to put him down. The grief is brutal. I miss him terribly. I have no regrets about our decision because he was suffering, and as bad as the loss is, it's not as bad as seeing him suffer. Our animals are very special, possessed of their own unique kinds of intelligence and emotional capacity. I guess this is just gonna take some time.
Quote 1 0
Marty3004
  • Hi Msg, thank you for your kind reply, its clear Pete was a special cat and was loved very much.  Molly starts her prednisone tomorrow,  I'm hoping it gives her more time with us with a good quality of life and doesn't affect her newly found appetite. It's the worst decision ever when to say goodbye.  When I lost my last cat I was beside myself with grief and guilt and replaying the worst bits over and over in my mind, over time i know the good memories are the ones you remember. Be kind to yourself and know you did everything you could for him. 
Martin
Quote 1 0
BrendaLynn
Hi MZG. On April 14, 2020,  I made the decision to say goodbye to my sweet cat Mary due to a diagnosis of lymphoma in both her kidneys and to ease her pain and suffering. Even with the Covid 19 procedures in place,  I was lucky enough to be able to hold her and tell her how much I loved her before her heart stopped but the pain is so deep, I am having a hard time getting through each day. I completely understand your grief. Mary was my ESA, my Emotional Support Animal. She was there to help me through my depression, my anxiety, my stressful days and my feelings of not being wanted or loved by anyone other than Mary. Now that she is gone, although I promised her that I would be able to look after myself when she finally said goodbye to me, I am having a hard time keeping that promise. I just want to end it all so I can be with her again. How do I continue on and stop thinking that I want to end my life?
Brenda Cleary
Quote 1 0
Jan_H
Martin,

I'm sorry to hear about your cat's diagnosis. No matter how old they are it is always painful to think about losing them.

Molly does not understand the prognosis. She is going to enjoy whatever time she has left in any way she can. I hope at least some of the time you can put aside you anxiety and enjoy your time with her. I know it is hard. I lost my boy Jagger to cancer last year. He was the sweetest boy and I tried not to let him see my anxiety. It was hard but I would have done anything for him.

Hope the medication gives Molly and you some wonderful days ahead.

Jan
Quote 1 0
BrendaLynn
Hello Jan,As much as it pleases me to read your kind words to Martin about his Molly, you did not send them to Martin. You sent them to me, Brenda. An easy mistake. Please accept my deepest condolences for the loss of your Jagger. Take care and stay safe.
Brenda Cleary
Quote 0 0
Marty3004
Hi Jan

Thank you for your kind words, they really do help and I'm focusing on having as many days with miss Molly as I can and spoiling her rotten while shes well enough.  Sorry to hear you lost jagger,  our pets are really family members and you go through the same spectrum of emotions as if you are loosing a close member of your family.  Sharing and knowing your not alone in your feelings really does help. ☺
Martin
Quote 0 0
Sugar_Bear1
Hi,

I’m so sorry. Just wanted to let you know that after my cat’s adenocarcinoma spread to his lymph node and lung he survived happily for another year. I used prednisolone and Palladia. He was diagnosed in January; by October we were starting to get worse. But some cats do even better on Palladia than he did. 
Best wishes and good luck. 
Quote 1 0
Marty3004
Thank you for your kind comments.  I'm hoping to have as long as I can with miss Molly. She seems to have good and bad days at the moment but seems content enough so fingers crossed. The vet said it will probably change quite quickly near the end. Shes sat in the sun in her favourite spot in the conservatory at ths moment. 
Martin
Quote 1 0
squares
Hi, Marty.  I lost my cat two months ago to bowel cancer.  It is a horrible feeling to watch a pet suffer with cancer or with any disease or affliction, and the emptiness we feel when they're gone is sometimes unbearable.  I just want to offer my condolences as I know that many people do not understand how we pet parents grieve when our animals are sick or when they must leave us.  I hope that your Molly is doing as well as she can, and that you are doing okay, too.  Just always remember that you have given her a wonderful life and a happy home.  That's what matters the most.  
Quote 1 0
Marty3004

Hi Squares, thanks to so much for your kind words.  Molly is no longer with me, it was time to say goodbye as she was suffering so much.

It was the hardest thing I have had to do, say goodbye to my little girl but I knew it was time.  
I’m sorry for your loss too, cancer is an awful disease.  I hope your hanging in there. 

I have another cat Katie, she’s 13.  I said I didn’t want any more cars due to the worry and pain of losing them but a stray cat needing some love has started hanging around more and I’ve decided to try to take him on,  he’s not very tame and could have health issues so it’s not the easy route to take but I think molly would approve as she was a stray who chose me and e we ended up having a special bond. 

Take care
 Martin

Martin
Quote 2 0
Jan_H
Martin,

My condolences to you on the loss of your sweet Molly. I hope you enjoyed some quality time together before saying goodbye.

Jan
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
Hi Marty

I have a stray cat that has been hanging around for a while...I could never encourage him in as I still had my darling Monty but lost Monty a month ago. I always feed him up to three times a day and I have noticed he has not been neutered and is petrified if he thinks I am going to touch him.

However the last couple of weeks he has been coming in and eating the food and has a look around and then leaves.

Could you give me any information on what I could do to help this boy.

Thank you

Ellen.
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0