myname
We just had our cat euthanized. She was 10+ years old and we sort of adopted her and her family when she was born right next to our house/garden, though they always remained primarily outdoor cats. She had a seemingly aggressive form of lymphoma and my mother wanted her not to suffer so we went to the vet and they agreed to put her down.

It was not what I expected at all. When she got the first shot she was very uncomfortable and struggled trying to fight off the vet. Half a minute later she vommited, then made hissing-like sounds and grinded her teeth. It was more violent than peaceful. If I had known this beforehand I would've never let it happen. I am shocked.

Her sister was put down just a month earlier without my presence I can only hope she had a better way of going.
Quote 0 0
BSmith1199
The Vet should have warned you about the vomiting.  Not all cats do, but most will.  The first shot makes them nauseous.  When Dax was put down, she had muscle contractions which indicated she was going to vomit, but she did not.

I was petting Dax as she got the first shot and looking in her eyes.  I tried my best to hold it together for her and keep her calm.

The Vet warned us it might happen, before the shot.  Dax was at a point where she could no longer move, so it was still better than the alternative for her.

Sorry for your loss and it is sad you were not warned about what was going to happen, but it sounds like you made the right choice for your cat.
Smokey (1959-1959, car), Prissy (1966-1968, car), Tina (1955-1974, old age), Rags (1976-1980, stolen), Dax (1999-2015, my choice, due to renal failure), Shelby & Jag (2015)

You only think you are training them.  When they are gone, you finally get it.
Quote 0 0
mybaby1robert
It is a dreadful thing to have to do and  your vet should have prepared you for that.  I guess it is different for dogs.  Sorry for you loss and the trauma that you experienced. 
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Sometimes a sedative can make them queasy. That's why (under normal circumstances) the vet will ask you to fast them before they get a sedative.
The vet should have told you this, I think. I am sorry it was upsetting like that. It is likely she was half-anesthetised while it was happening (very groggy) So although she was fighting instinctively, her mind might have been partly asleep....

I had my first dog put to sleep, and he yelped when the sedative was given. That upset me too. It was intra-muscular -and as anyone knows, an intra-muscular shot always hurts more. But the vet didn't tell me that. I felt so very sorry. He was sleeping however in only 2 seconds, so I think it may have been a bit of a blur for him.

My dear Misty was put to sleep also, but  she was already on the verge of death, and it was a desperate method to speed that up at the very end. She didn't have the sedative -only the last shot. So her passing was incredibly peaceful. I did not know what to expect.

In my opinion, although this shockng thing happened, you made the right decision. She would have suffered so much more, and longer, from the Lymphoma.

My heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0