oknavigator
My cat had a stroke, and I had to put her down late Sunday night after I got off work.  She was on the floor with that pitiful meow, and would not move.  She had been doing so well on her Thyroid medicine, but when I took her to the emergency room after work, they said her liver function was really off the charts, and then the staff came out and said she was "slipping".   I had just enough time after doing the paperwork to run in there and hold her head to tell her goodbye while they gave her the shot.  Her leg was twitching and she had that death look.  I think she was partially paralyzed.  I couldn't bear to see her suffer.  She was the sweetest cat I have ever known.   She was acting normal during the day.  It all happened so suddenly like bam, bam, bam.  I am totally falling apart.  The bond between us was so close.  She was only 6.  She was my world, and I loved taking care of her and her needs.  Now that she is gone, I can't stop crying, I'm having trouble sleeping, and I think I'm getting depressed.  I had no time to really say goodbye or to even see it coming.  I'm am hurting so bad.  I just cry and say NO! NO! NO!  I loved that little girl and am having a hard time letting go.  I'm lost and need some answers.  What, I don't know? Abby In Bed.jpg 
David Norton
Quote 0 0
Cynthia_H
Dear David:

I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved fur baby, what I beautiful girl she is.  I am sorry I cannot give you any answer as to why this happened, I know I looked for answers too but yet have found no real answer.  One of the stages of grief is acceptance and maybe if there are answers we will find them when we reach acceptance.

All I know is that I had to let my feelings out, cry and don't hold back.  Talking to people who understand your loss helps, there are a lot of us on this forum who understand because we too are going through or have gone through the loss of our beloved fur baby.

I know it seems impossible at first, because we focus on the last day and the death of our beloved, but when you can, I found it helps to remember the happy memories, even one happy memory a day can help.

Time does not heal all wounds, we will always be sad at our fur babies passing and miss them.  Healing is learning to live with the sadness and loss and learn to be less overwhelmed by their death and this does take time.  Remembering that they are still with us in spirit and the love we shared never dies.

Be gentle with and take care of yourself.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.  Hugs, Cynthia.
Quote 0 0
oggy22
Hi David,

I feel your pain and know exactly what you are going through.

It's still very raw for you as it was only days ago and the suddenness of it all makes it more of a shock, like total disbelief. I had the same with my Cat Smudge nearly 7 weeks ago now and it still hurts. We will always miss them it will always be sad but I must say, as time goes by you learn to deal with the loss better and remember the good times together - no1 can ever take the memories away from us. You loved and looked after your beautiful cat as best you could and that's all we can do for our little fury friends, give them the best life possible in the time they are alive, whether that be 6 months, 6 years or 16 years, the key is quality of life and by the sounds of it, you gave your little mate the best life possible. The last act of kindness was the decision to put her to sleep.

Take care

Paul

Quote 0 0
snakenole
Hi David.
I'm reacting in a similar way to the loss of my dog, Leo. It's a very frustrating and helpless feeling. I get overwhelmed with what feels like unbearable sadness that feels like it will never pass. But it does eventually and I feel a bit better for a little while. 

I lost my partner tragically and unexpectedly 6 years ago and I search for answers then. I will tell you that you don't ever find the answers. It's just not for us to know, for whatever reason. I went to counseling and my counselor pointed that out and told me that I would be better off if I stopped trying to find answers. It was hard, but once I did I started to heal. So I've tried not to ask "why?" since Leo passed. Unfortunately, it's part of life. And life is tough. I know that's not very comforting but it will make sense eventually. 

For now, keep talking about your feelings and let it out however you need to. I scream in my car and cry whenever it hits me. I have to let it out or I feel like I'll explode.

Take care,
Mike
Quote 0 0
Rosanne777
I am still hurting having
had to put my Beloved
Cat Maya to sleep.

Grief just does not go
away overnight.

So so sorry that
you have lost 
your precious and
Beloved Cat too!!
Quote 0 0
oknavigator
Thank you everyone for your replies.  It has helped knowing that there are others who are hurting too.  It is day 3, and I still hurt.  I'm not crying as much, but I am still overwhelmed some times when I realize she's really gone.  I read someone's comment on another page about talking to Abby, and I did that last night in bed.  Her, me and God talked.  Just talking to her made me feel better and having read some Bible verses that clearly say we will meet again also helped. 
David Norton
Quote 0 0
Derynie
Oknavigator,
It might be a while before your grieving process is over. Just know that you're allowed to grieve, you're allowed to be sad. It's a devastating event. I've had 2 cats die within 8 months of each other. One was sudden, I woke up and just found her gone. And the other one had a 6 week fight with cancer. Both were devastating in their own way. Find people who you can talk to that understand, and use this forum anytime you need to. We are all here because we've lost our beloved pets. It will get easier with time, even though it feels like you'll never dig yourself out of this hole. I hope you find solace and peace. Your kitty was obviously very loved.
Quote 0 0
nordi57
oknavigator wrote:
My cat had a stroke, and I had to put her down late Sunday night after I got off work.  She was on the floor with that pitiful meow, and would not move.  She had been doing so well on her Thyroid medicine, but when I took her to the emergency room after work, they said her liver function was really off the charts, and then the staff came out and said she was "slipping".   I had just enough time after doing the paperwork to run in there and hold her head to tell her goodbye while they gave her the shot.  Her leg was twitching and she had that death look.  I think she was partially paralyzed.  I couldn't bear to see her suffer.  She was the sweetest cat I have ever known.   She was acting normal during the day.  It all happened so suddenly like bam, bam, bam.  I am totally falling apart.  The bond between us was so close.  She was only 6.  She was my world, and I loved taking care of her and her needs.  Now that she is gone, I can't stop crying, I'm having trouble sleeping, and I think I'm getting depressed.  I had no time to really say goodbye or to even see it coming.  I'm am hurting so bad.  I just cry and say NO! NO! NO!  I loved that little girl and am having a hard time letting go.  I'm lost and need some answers.  What, I don't know? Abby In Bed.jpg 
Quote 0 0
nordi57
I am so sorry for your lose.I had a similar situation where my hearts joy suffered greatly and died the day I took him home from the hospital.My cat Oliver was the most wonderful companion to me and to see him suffer that way ( after I had spent so much time and money to heal him ) nearly destroyed me. I was helpless to do anything.I like you kept crying out...help me..help him! My heart was so badly broken.That was a few months ago.With time and prayer I've begun to heal.I still cry everyday,but not the way I use to.I sought help from a counselor and that helped also.You will be in my thoughts & prayers..I know what you are feeling. 
Quote 0 0