Mapper Show full post »
Mary_Jane
Hello Mapper. How is the lovely Smokey getting on? I hope and pray that he is still making good progress and that you are able to enjoy a lovely Christmas together 
"If the sky comes falling down, for you, there's nothing in this world I wouldn't do"
Quote 0 0
Mapper
He is still doing the same. We put down some tuna for him and he is eating at that. Not eating a ton, but at least some. I think we just need to find some food that he likes to really eat, even if it is human food. Any suggestions what food  might make a cat go hog wild on eating?
Mom to 6 lovable cats: Bubu, Momo, Skittles, Callie, Scooter, and Ichiban

Playing over the Rainbow Bridge: Smokey and Luna
Quote 0 0
Mary_Jane
Ah that is fantastic news! I'm so pleased to hear that he is continuing to make progress. 

In the past two weeks I think I tried everything under the sun to get Molly to eat. Unfortunately she didn't make it, but I will try to give you some suggestions, as I learnt a lot about this recently!

Firstly, it can help if you try to offer foods that smell strong, like pilchards or sardines (make sure anything you give doesn't contain onion, onion powder or garlic). Our vets tried pilchards in tomato sauce, although I had thought tomato was bad for cats so not sure about that one.

Try heating the food just a little, to around body temperature. This makes it smell stronger and can be more appetising for them (be really careful with microwaving, as it can make it very hot very quickly).

Some people try baby food (again, no onion). I'm not sure where you are, but I struggled to get anything without onion in the UK, but I have heard that some US manufacturers make meat-only baby foods.

I tried giving scrambled egg. Some cats like it, and it is high in protein. You could also try various types of meat and fish. Although these aren't ideal, just getting him started and tempted might help.

If these don't work, there are high energy foods you can get from your vet. It probably varies depending on which country you're in, but Hills make a high energy, soft canned food call a/d which is supposed to be very tempting for cats. It can also be mashed up and syringe fed quite easily. Royal Canin make a powder food called "convalescence support". It's like a formula milk and again is very high in nutrients. 

Anyway, I do hope some of this helps and will keep everything crossed for little Smokey. It would be so nice to have some good news. 
"If the sky comes falling down, for you, there's nothing in this world I wouldn't do"
Quote 0 0
Mapper
Smokey is going downhill again. He hasn't had anything to drink on his own since Christmas Eve. We put a bowl of water in front of him and he gets his face down to it but that's it and turns away. He is extremely weak. I'm afraid pretty soon he won't be able to walk as it seems he is having a problem getting his hind legs to get him where he wants to go now. He hasn't purred in a few days either. He was doing so good and gave us hope after his last downhill phase. I doubt he will bounce back from this episode.

Quote 0 0
Mapper
Only 2 hours after posting my last post on Smokey, he passed away. My husband found him lying lifeless on our bathroom floor. It is for the best. We have had time to come to grips with losing him and it makes me feel better that he is no longer suffering and that we did not have to make that final decision for him.

We are going to bury him in the backyard and plant flowers around him. He was a good friend and he will be missed.

Quote 0 0
Catladykaren
I am so sorry. I'm sorry you had to find him that way after a glimmer of hope. My Leeloo also stopped purring towards the end. Some cats will purr to comfort themselves at the end as my Mei Mei did. Your Smokey is at peace with our other fur babies now. Hugs to you.
Love is eternal....
Quote 0 0