Tammy555
Hi all, only about an hour ago, although it feels longer, we put our cat of several years down. Back legs had gone, kidneys were failing, had neurological problems etc. These things could be due to old age but respectfully I'm doubtful, it may have been due to this flea stuff we used on her years ago, Bob Martin's I think it was called, it caused damage to her neurologically but the kidney issue I'm not so sure.

Anyway, when the vet was putting her down, she said there were mild complications. She had kidney issues, which slowed the metabolism of the injection, so she had to have a second one in the muscle, followed by another one in her vein when the vet said it wasn't working. She said our cat was already painless and out cold, but it made the situation kind of uncomfortable as we were trying to morn it's passing.

I want to hear from yous if you have had a similar thing happen, and if it was really true she wasn't in pain and if it was a good idea. Even though it wasn't my choice, I still feel very off out as to whether this was a good idea... The house is quiet now... used to be loud all the time because if it's painful cries, at least she's at peace now, but naturally I miss her. Just memories and photo now.
Quote 0 0
Tammy555
Would appreciate a response
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I am very sorry for your loss of your cat. I made that horrible decision for my cat last year to end his suffering. He was 17 and had cancer. He also had kidney issues. For him it was very quick. One injection to knock him out and then the second one. I don't think it took more than 60 seconds total.

I think you did the right thing. It sounds like your cat was suffering and wasn't going to get better.

My condolences,
Jan
Quote 0 0
Tammy555
Thanks
Quote 0 0
Molly4always
I am so sorry for your loss of your kitty. I read somewhere that animals don’t feel pain like we do. If she was out cold and not responding, it’s doesn’t seem likely that she was in pain. But remember that now she is not in pain or struggling. When I lost my kitty, I kept dwelling on the euthanasia. I couldn’t help it. It’s so hard not to think back to her last moments. But now I try to focus on thinking that she is free and happy. I believe that the minute her heart stopped beating her spirit left her body and she was set free. Forever.
Quote 0 0
LaGata
I am sorry for your loss. I can't imagine going thru what you have. My baby jumped into my bed, laid her head on my legs, I petted her, her head raised up a bit then dropped. I tried cpr, but it was that quick. No matter how we lose our babies, it leaves questions with no answers, self doubt, and a hole in your chest where your heart used to be. I hope you find comfort in knowing that your baby is free from pain. Hold tight to those memories.
Quote 0 0
Bigcatsdad
I'm so sorry for the loss of your cat. I feel your pain. We made the painful decision to put my 16 year old buddy, my big black cat Albert to sleep. He had a mass in his abdomen that was inoperable and he was in pain. I was there through the whole thing, I had him in my lap and held him during and long after he passed. The vet put a small IV stint in his arm, she first put in a small dose of saline to clear it, then she administered a sedative/muscle relaxer. Albert let out a big sigh and settled into my lap. Then the vet put in the last dosage that stopped his heart, in less than a minute his heart stopped, that's the moment my heart broke. There was no noise, no movement just silence other than my crying. I thought Albert's eyes would have closed when his heart stopped, they didn't, just an empty, cold blank stare. That will haunt me forever. I held him until his body became cold, I didn't want to leave him but after a while I knew I had too, I had to let him go. We were going to have him cremated. This was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I know the decision to end our furry loved ones pain and suffering hurts so much and is so heart breaking but we know in the end it is the right thing to do and not to prolong their suffering. I would give almost anything to have another night or two with Albert, just to say a longer good bye, one more hug, one more purr but I know his pain would have been worse and he was already hardly eating or drinking. It's been almost a month and I still cry every day, I miss him so much. The house is so empty and quiet without him. Albert liked to talk and was not shy about telling you how he felt in his own meowing ways.
Although you have regret, pain and sadness, knowing in the end you did what was right, she won't be suffering anymore. She know this and her spirit and love will be in your heart forever.
My heart goes out to you and you furry loved one.
Bigcatsdad
Quote 0 0