Forum

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Humanswithpaws

Reply with quote  #1 
My 2 young chihuhuas (brothers) have a love hate relationship if there not kissing there fighting it’s very hard to tell who is the most dominant to be honest. I’ve just spoken to my vet about having them castrated I thought you should do this for health reasons anyway!

However she’s told me you don’t need to castrate boys and if I have them both done it will make the situation worse, she’s advised me to get the most dominent done which I haven’t a clue which one. Is this even true? Your thoughts would be much appreciated as they are provisionally booked in for next Tuesday.
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #2 
I know things have changed since I was in this field but as far as I know neuters should take place by 6 months. You said they were young but how young? The health reasons are mammary cancer and testicular cancer which are almost never seen once the hormones that cause them are gone. Seems like if you have only one done he’s the one that will continue to get his *arse* beat.
Are the fights food related? Do they draw blood? Or are they lil hissy fits? Chi Chi’s can be feisty I’m sure you know😁 also have they gotten worse since your baby passed? I know I’ve asked more questions than helped, sorry but I’m surprised by your Vets response,,,,,

Reply with quote  #3 
There 12 months old I was going to stud them but after loosing Noah I have no interest in doing that anymore so I’ve decided to castrate as I’ve always done. Unfortunately not they can kick off over food and toys but they can’t even play together nicely they don’t draw blood or bite just have hissy fits but it scares me sometimes and I don’t want to just ignore and one day they take it to far. They also try to hump my girl often 🙄 luckily she’s done they also mark there territory every where. I’ve never had this before. I wouldn’t say they have got worse since loosing Noah but the thing about my boy when he played with them they all played nicely together it was lovely to see they just can’t play nicely with each other.
Humanswithpaws

Reply with quote  #4 
Just to add to that it doesn’t even have to be item related they’ve just kicked off with each other now for no reason at all 🙄
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #5 
Gemma that’s frustrated male behavior. Noah being gone has changed the power level also. They are definitely displaying male dominance behavior. I’d neuter both. It takes about 60 days for the hormones to be gone from their bodies after their neutered so I’d keep them separate while you’re out. What are you doing to discourage their rowdiness?

Reply with quote  #6 
My vet suggested waiting 2 years. He said that in the past people had their dogs neutered as puppies and apparently they don't live as long(s a result). I wished I'd known sooner. If and when I get a new pup I will be waiting longer to neuter /or spay.
Hope this helps. So sorry for your loss!!
CK
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #7 
I’m going to message two of my Vet friends in the am about this. CK1991 my neighbors Vet also told him what you said. What they have is a hyper lrg dog who is constantly trying and succeeding in getting lose and running. Definitely owners fault in that but when a male picks up a females scent it’s instinctual to follow it. The cancer risks were proven. I’d really like to know what’s been proven that’s shortenig their life span more than the previous thought. Gemma I’m so sorry, I know you must be even more confused now. I will get back with you tomorrow,,,,,

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Tankie's mom,
I would also be interested to see what your friends say. Both my dogs died from cancer and I blame myself for not knowing and having them done as puppies.
I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved Tankie!
CK
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #9 
What kind of cancer? I’ve made a note to contact them so I’ll definitely get back. Ones retired but very knowledgeable, the other has her own practice in centrall Fl
Thank you, tonight is 32 Wednesday’s 🐾

Reply with quote  #10 
Thank you Tankievi really appreciate it. I have tried a mixture of things at first I use to leave them to battle out the ranking as they weren’t hurting each other just having huge hissy fits then I tried to seperate and discipline but that hasn’t worked either. To be honest I’ve never come across this before but I’ve never owned two brothers at the same age at the same time before xxx
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #11 
Word from the retired Vet friend is what I expected. Not neutering creates physical problems (the ones I mentioned) as well as bad habits that are hard to correct later on such as the leg lifting, mounting and aggression. They become “learned” habits even after a delayed neuter.
Like I mentioned my female Vet does have a practice so it may take her longer to reply.
I’m thinking this is a male issue in regards to waiting. The thought may be a delayed neuter lets the urethra fully develop and decreases the occurrence of male UTI’s, but I saw so few of those that I just don’t know-

Reply with quote  #12 
This is what she said when I asked about delayed neutering. Her dog that she takes flipping everywhere including work everyday is a lil Chi Chi

Attached Images
jpeg 3B2EE495-FD7E-4BF1-94F3-12024AA4A741.jpeg (115.39 KB, 5 views)
jpeg 380EAEA2-4983-44B7-B1C7-D050D2D144F5.jpeg (102.52 KB, 5 views)

Tankie12

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1991
My vet suggested waiting 2 years. He said that in the past people had their dogs neutered as puppies and apparently they don't live as long(s a result). I wished I'd known sooner. If and when I get a new pup I will be waiting longer to neuter /or spay.
Hope this helps. So sorry for your loss!!
CK

I let Gema know what both vets told me🐾

Reply with quote  #14 
Thank you for your advice I really appreciate it. Both boys are in tomorrow I’m extemekku nervous about it to be honest. Unfortunately the aggression is getting worse I’m not sure how to deal with this if I’m being honest. I think I’m going to put a thread on here see if anyone can advise x
Humanswithpaws

Reply with quote  #15 
Also the leg lifting 🙄 I’ve never had this problem before it’s my own fault for leaving it so long. It was my intention to stud them to breed like I said but after loosing Noah my decision has changed.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.