Gmr
So one part of my brain knows my dog Peanut had heart issues..had seizures...was coughing more...was wheezing ...didn't eat for 2 days or go to the bathroom for 2 days, but then the other part of my brain says maybe she was just having a few bad days and would come out of it. Maybe I should have waited to see what happened. After she had a bad night the next morning when we got up it was like I had no doubt in my mind that was the day I was going to put her down. Immediately started making calls where I could take her. It drives me nuts wondering if I moved to quickly. Could she have been around another month ?
Quote 0 0
SharonsPie
Me too Gmr . It's a month now since putting my 13 year old dog to sleep, but I still question the timing. Should I have waited. Maybe she had another week or even month. Maybe she was just having a bad day. You're right, it's so unfair we have to be the ones to decide. It should be gods job. I felt like a monster. I have to keep talking it over on this site, or with myself. I have to remind myself that if I waited she may have gotten much worse and really suffered terribly. She had heart failure. There's no knowing when it will get so bad, she could suffocate. How would I feel then. We make our best guess. I try to think that our intuition just tells us when. Better a few weeks early than a day too late.
Quote 0 0
SharonsPie
Also, coughing and wheezing is really hard on them. Not eating or using the bathroom, it sounds like her body was shutting down. You did the right thing. Waiting would have been worse for her. I'm so sorry for anyone who has to go through this.
Quote 0 0
Gmr
Thanks SharonsPie. This grief has made me physically sick. I just sit here and keep saying to myself..I can't believe she's not here anymore! I try to keep my mind busy so I don't keep going back and forth with me questioning myself. It will be 2 w k s tommorow and it feels like so much longer. I'm sorry for your loss too. People don't understand that's why I come on here too.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Gmr and SharonsPie,
You know what? I think that when we love them like this, we get so attuned to them, we get so connected, it's beyond ordinary understanding.
At the end, or towards the end, I know our whole selves are on high alert, and a sixth sense comes into play too.
We start to sense things we might not have done if they were fit and well.
We start to hear their Souls reaching out to us.

I think, where there is deep love we hear them say  "enough is enough", and are inspired then to let them go free out of those painful bodies.

And I happen to think it is an incredible selflessness in us, We aren't sensing ourselves in those moments and our own fears and worries, we are sensing them, and their Souls asking to go free.

From what happened with my own girl at the end I know a strange Grace comes into it. We let them go. Out of the pain.

Sadly I am aware there will be no-one to do that for me at the end. Unless God's mercy lets me go fast.

Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Gmr
Mistysmama, you are so right about that connection we have with them.when I would look into my Peanuts eyes it was like I knew what she was thinking and what she would like to say to me. It was such an indescribable connection. As her symptoms increased but she still showed some life I cared for her by carrying her up and down the stairs. I would play relaxation music during the day for her. I would make her comfortable next to me on the couch and the bed. She always had lots of hugs and kisses and I had many talks with her especially in the final months. I always put her first before myself. Our love for each other was so deep and i just wish she could live forever. If only she could visit me in a dream so I can see her healthy and full of life again.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Dear Gmr, Your love for Peanut is wonderful. You did everything you could think of to make her more comfortable in those last days. That's what we do when we love them. You could not have done more.

Yes I wish they lived longer too. We find someone who brings us the best companionship and love....then they have to leave this world. It is the saddest thing for us because we have a longer life-span. We have to hold them in our Hearts until we get back together again when life on Earth comes to its natural close.

Don't worry -they "hear" our Hearts ! Sometimes we hear theirs too.

I am sure you will get a dream of Peanut as time goes by. They do like to try to show us they are OK if they can get through.

Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
Allie59
Dear Gmr I'm so sorry for your loss. I believe all loving pet parents who have, are on the verge of making this extremely hard decision, question themselves, if it's the right thing to do. My family and I had to on Monday...for our sweet beautiful German Shepherd Nell. 😪😪😪

Take care..x
Quote 0 0
Lalf
We all question it . Our vet told us you have to love your pet more than anything to put them to sleep for to save them from suffering your suffering begins . How true is that ? He also explained that we need to take that step for them when they are suffering . It’s frightening for them to be sick and we take away that pain . Unfortunately we do suffer . I am so miserable it’s been 3 months since my Gizmo passed but deep down I know we did everything. In the end I took his pain away
Quote 0 0