Forum

Author   Comment  
sweetiesmom09

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi everyone.  I lost a wonderful dog (the beautiful Akita mix who inspired my name) to Osteosarcoma) almost 7 years ago to the day.  Four months ago, I posted about my current dog, Blaze, a 9 1/2 year old Pitt/Shepherd mix who I rescued after Sweetie passed.  He was 3 at the time.  Back in August, we did a FNA on a small lump on his left hind quarters (almost to his hip) and it came back negative.  At the time, we thought it might be a Mast Cell Tumor.

The lump grew, so a few weeks ago, we did another FNA, which this time came back with spindle cells, so my vet recommended removing the lump, which we did, last Wednesday.  We were lucky to get it out with clean margins, but the diagnosis other than that is not very good.  The pathology report says that it is a Grade II Soft Tissue Sarcoma - Peripheral Nerve Sheath Tumor.  His Mitotic Index (I'm pretty sure this means how fast the cancer cells are reproducing) is 22.  The report states that anything over 20 is considered very high and that with this number, the chance of metastasis is 5 times higher.  The report recommends evaluation for regional lymph node metastasis.

Blaze still acts like a puppy and has so much energy.  Even right out of surgery, he was right back to his normal self.  It's hard to even imagine that there might be anything wrong with him.  It's good to know that all of the tumor was removed but I'm scared to think that it might have spread.  I have scheduled an appointment with a vet oncologist for Thursday (2 days from now) and once we determine whether there is any spread, we can figure out what, if anything, we will do in terms of further treatment.

I'm posting now for a couple reasons.  One, I just need some support.  Not surprisingly, I'm freaking out.  I have family and a small circle of close friends but I find that they quickly get tired of hearing me talk about this.  For some reason, worrying about a dog's illness seems to not have the same validity as that of a humans, at least with most of the people I seem to know (even the ones who claim to care about animals).

Secondly, I also plan to consult a holistic vet and have already been doing some research.  I'm wondering if anyone here has tried anything in this area and how they've done with it.  One thing I keep running across is something called The Budwig Diet, which is basically Flaxseed Oil and Cottage Cheese (mixed in certain proportions and a special way), plus cutting out grains and keeping the other foods to within a low glycemic index.  

Thanks for any replies.

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_20181127_204624.jpg (146.08 KB, 3 views)

Peteyd

Reply with quote  #2 
I’m sorry to hear about Blaze. I know what it’s like to have your people get sick of hearing you talk about your beloved pet. It sucks. They don’t get it . I do. Can’t give you any advice on new diet. There are so many theses days. Careful not to go down the rabbit hole. Spend as much time as you can with Blaze. Tale pictures and video. Love him up. That’s my best advice. Good luck. I’m here for you.

Pete

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you for your kind reply.  I am trying to remember to take pictures and videos.  I've taken some videos during our time together already, and lots of pictures, but sometimes the days just go by so fast and I forget.  Giving him lots of extra loving - that's easy.  I can't wait until his stitches come out and I can let him take that awful cone off his head though.  I feel so bad for him but he really needs to wear it because he keeps trying to rip them out.  As for the diet, I will be careful.  I plan to consult a holistic vet and won't do anything radical on my own.

Tomorrow is the oncologist visit.  Hopefully we'll get good news about whether this has spread.

It does suck about friends who don't seem to care.  Thankfully we have this board.  I remember when I lost my Sweetie 7 years ago I spent a great deal of time here and it was a huge comfort.

Also, I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss of Elvis.  I read through your post and can imagine the pain you must feel having had to make the decision to release him.  It is never an easy one.  I've lost 6 dogs and 2 of them were by euthanasia ("good death" as you said).  It sure didn't feel that way at the time though.  Elvis looked like such a sweet boy.  

Thanks again for your words of support.
poodlemomof2

Reply with quote  #4 
I lost my beautiful 12 year old Tessie yesterday due to mammary cancer.  I can't believe she is gone as I am devastated, but seeking support here helps.

Mary

Reply with quote  #5 
My "holistic vet" saved my puppies prognosis. Seriously. And my kittie's life. They are the best - mine does both holistic and standard medicine, if you are in WA, ask for a ping and will share details. But with cancer, I'd really try anything that was not invasive or painful. I would look to holistic for tumor regression, maybe supplements for less pain, just a 2nd thought. How ever the boughs may cross, I am so sad for what you are going through.
sweetiesmom09

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Dragonia.  I am not in WA but I agree overall with your comments about holistic vets.  Fortunately since I wrote I've had some good progress with Blaze's situation.  The oncologist tested his lymph nodes and chest.  Both tested normal and clean (no spread).  We have a follow-up at the end of the month.  Meanwhile she did recommend some supplements and changes to his diet.   So right now we are just watching for recurrence of the tumor.
Sil

Reply with quote  #7 
sweetiesmom09,

I am sorry for your loss of Sweetie and for what you are going through with Blaze.  And, praying that Blaze continues to stay well.  It is very hard when our fur babies get sick, we want them healthy and thriving.  But, in the meantime, cherish Blaze, shower him with your love and give him as many tummy rubs as possible.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.