stevo19860

On Thursday our baby boy Bruno was diagnosed with cancer. He is close to turning 8 and he is a French Bulldog. He is the sunshine of our lives. It’s just me, my wife and him. I have never lost a pet before. I am scared.

The reason I am posting is to gather any information on how to cope with what is coming. We know that his time is limited now. The past few days have been, well, you all know. My eyes hurt and there is a lump in my throat as I wrote this. I know that times are going to get harder as time goes by. Please, please, please, anything that anyone can tell me on how to cope will be very much appreciated. I have attached something my wife sent me today which is really nice, but my heart still hurts. 

Quote 0 0
Achilly
Stevo,
Hello so sorry your bruno has cancer. I lost my Chance 5 weeks ago to cancer. All the advice I can give is to live each day to the fullest. We used prednisone to help his appetite and to help him feel more like himself. He ate and was even able to make a few walks. We loved him with all we had. I cried for the first few weeks, but then tried my hardest not to cry in front of him. We canceled all plans to spend with as much time as we could with him. We had picnics in the living room. He slept on a blanket next to our bed. Chance was to big to sleep in our bed. Talk with your vet to make the best plan you can. It really comes down to making him as comfortable as you can, and think of quality of life. When it was time, we had a vet come to our house. That was really important to us. 
Take care
Quote 0 0
stevo19860

Thank you so much for your reply. And I am so sorry for your loss. Yesterday was a good day. We took him down to the local river, my wife’s friend stopped by for a visit and he hasn’t seen her for a long time so he was so happy, got him a couple of fries (and other treats) and I bought him a new La Z Boy orthopedic bed which he loves. 

I just have one more question. As I mentioned I have never had to go through this before, and if you can’t answer then I completely understand. My question is, how did you know that it was time to say goodbye? Are there any signs that we need to look for?

Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
Steve,  I’m sorry to hear this.  My boxer passed back in October, she had liver cancer. We found out in July and we were devastated to say the least. She was our girl, we have no kids.  So this was very very hard.  Our vet told us just let her live each day out,  surgery was not an option at all.  I felt like I was grieving as soon as we were told the bad news. I wish I didn’t do that.  You know months leading up to it, I just felt something was wrong, she wasn’t herself. She had turned 10 in June.  She did okay up until September, the weight loss was so hard to see, then she refused to eat etc. I will not say more, it’s depressing to me.  I don’t want to make you any more sad than you already are.  Please make each day you have with Bruno the best. If he feels up to it, take him for a walk or whatever he likes, feed him whatever he wants and just spoil him even more.  It stinks they don’t live as long as we do.  Hang in there, you and your wife, you have each other to get you through this.  Hugs....   please stay on this website, it has helped me tremendously.  Everyone is great on here. Oh I see you asking when is time? We didn’t want to accept it was time.  My girl towards the end, would stare at me a lot.  We were best buddies and I knew she was telling me it was time but we didn’t want her to suffer. She got so skinny, refused to eat for a week, just wasn’t good plus there was a chance her tumor would rupture, like our first boxer. The key is as long as your Bruno has good quality of life, its okay but if he’s not.  Again I’m sorry...
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
Achilly
Its really hard to tell someone else when its the right time. As boxer mom says quality of life is key. We took Chance for a walk the day before On a Sunday, he was so tired and weak, but loved it. The prednisone helped his appetite until that day as well. Sunday morning he didn't want to eat. I couldn't watch him starve again. He didn't eat week for almost a week before the prednisone.  At that time we knew it would be soon and i was planning to make a apt for the end of the week. We wanted more time, he also didn't want Chance to suffer. Monday morning he had a horrible seizure in front of my husband. He was getting ready to go back to work after being home with Chance for 3 weeks.  That's when we knew, it was time. We couldn't think of him suffering like that again and us being at work. It's the worse decision of your life, but at some point its one that has to be made. So very sorry your baby is sick. This site has been so helpful to me. 
Quote 0 0
stevo19860
8714DF39-3085-40F9-B649-07BB54E130CA.jpeg  5D6F82EA-05AA-41AD-9A91-BA917A14FE48.jpeg  A853CD5A-4EEB-4FB1-855C-9EBD045C4C2B.jpeg  Thank you Achilly and Boxer Mom. I truly appreciate your input. My wife and I are doing a little better. I can’t speak for her but when I look at him now, I try not to do it with sadness but with the joy he has given me and continues to give me. So I smile, hug him, kiss him and tell him that I love him. Over and over 🙂 I will stay apart of this wonderful group and will keep you updated. May God bless you both. I have attached some pictures of the last week. One is with his new La Z Boy orthopedic bed and treats and the others are snuggled up together.
Quote 0 0
Achilly
Stevo
Thank you for sharing, he is such a cute little guy. I hope what ever time he has left is filled with love and happiness with you and your wife.
Quote 0 0
Achilly
Stevo
Thank you for sharing, he is such a cute little guy. I hope what ever time he has left is filled with love and happiness with you and your wife. This was our Chance 💜
IMG_11032020_180537_(165_x_300_pixel).jpg  IMG_11032020_180509_(300_x_150_pixel).jpg  IMG_11032020_180756_(225_x_300_pixel).jpg 
Quote 0 0
Gmr
I am so sorry for what you are going through right now. I agree with everything everyone has said on here already. One thing I would add that I wish I thought of doing is to take alot of pictures during this final time. I have a few of my baby but wish I took more but I was to focused on taking care of her. Bruno is adorable and I can see the love you have for each other. I will be praying for Bruno and your family. 
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
Steve, he is such a cute little boy. Nice photos, I will keep you guys in my thoughts.  Hugs...
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
AngelsGift
When things happen quickly, I believe you do the best that you can. We had a day and a half to say our good byes to Angel. On March 18th it will be two years, and it still leaves tears and a hurt in my heart. We now have a new pup in our family, but the hurt is still there.

When we were told she didn’t have long, I gave her steak and took her out in the front yard and sat in the sun with her. We loved on her for hours.

Give your dog everything you can if time is precious... enjoy it, breathe it in... live it. It doesn’t make the good bye easier, but maybe they leave here knowing how truly special they are in your heart.
Quote 0 0
stevo19860
Hi everyone, so here's the update on Bruno. We had a biopsy done a few weeks back and unfortunately it came back "in conclusive". The vet advised us not to do another biopsy as the bone is so worn away and the risk of fracture is high. She said we have 2 options. 1) Keep him comfortable and let him live out his life... 2-3 months. 2) Amputation and chemotherapy... 7-12 months and maybe more. My wife and I made the decision to amputate. At first I was petrified of amputation but the more I read about it and the more I watched videos of dogs doing great after surgery, I am now at peace with it. We'll see how he does with a doggy wheelchair and if that doesn't work out we we get a pet stroller 🙂

He is having the procedure done today. When he is home he will have unlimited hugs and kisses and as long as he has quality of life, he will be around. Thank you all for your kind words and I ask that you keep him in your prayers today. Here's a few pictures of him after the biopsy, and I will post more pictures in a few days when he has 3 legs 🙂.      
Quote 0 0
stevo19860
B1.jpg  B3.jpg  B4.jpg 
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
He is so precious.  I hope all well after his surgery. Dogs can manage pretty well with 3 legs I hear.

sending Bruno lots of love and speedy healing his way.
Quote 0 0
Achilly
Such a cute little guy. Hoping and sending positive thoughts to you all. I have seen a lot of pups that do just fine on three legs. He's also small so that helps a lot. So happy you will have more time with him. Please keep us posted.
Quote 0 0