Smokey3887
My pet Smokey of 18 years is sick. I've been having a hard time with the fact his days are numbered. I dint know what to do or how to handle this. I've never been thru this before and need someone to talk to. I'm very depressed
Smokeys mom
Quote 0 0
Molly_Beagle_Mom_4ever
Smokey’s Mom, I’m so sorry your precious boy isn’t doing well. We lost our dear beagle, Molly, a year ago when she was almost 17. Depression and grief are unfortunately the feelings we experience at a time like this. You have many caring friends here who understand and have been through this same thing. Please know that when the time comes, your Smokey will always still be near to you...he will show you the most beautiful signs of this as you work through the grief. He’ll also have many friends at the Bridge to run around with, pain free, with lots of treats and snacks in the beautiful sunshine. Take care of yourself, and remember the love never goes anywhere. It grows and grows, and you will be together again.

Molly’s Mom...Dawn
Love you infinitely our little Molly. Forever and ever XOXO
Quote 0 0
cathyhal1
Yes it is so hard.  Probably the hardest thing you will ever experience.  I had to do the same thing 2 weeks ago.  You have to know people are here on this forum (like me) to try and help.  It is going to hurt and be very devastating.  I have been half dead inside for 2 weeks now.  Crying and so sad.  I miss my baby Gigi and there is nothing I can do to get her back.
I cannot believe I have to live with this kind of pain.  But keep busy, call a friend that understands this kind of loss.  Go out.  Don't sit around the house with the memories as much as possible.  Try to go to dinner with a friend or family member.  I find when I am out in human world the pain although piercing me is alittle relieved.  
One thing you have to remember, 18 years is a major gift.  My gigi was fine, cancer spread so fast I only had 3 weeks left with her.  And then boom she was gone, 9 years old but fit and happy like a puppy. Too soon.  You should feel some relief knowing a long and wonderful life.  What I wouldn't do to have mine for another even 3-4 years. -Cathy
Cathy Hal
Quote 0 0
Smokey3887
I've never done this. He has these spurts of seeming ok then he just lays there for long periods. He currently has to wear a diaper because he is old and can't always make it to the box. These have been helpful. He is my boy. I have no kids these are my kids. I've had him sine 2001. He has been with me thru so much. I'm very depressed and not sure when the time is right because of the good days and bad days. Just when I think this is it he perks up. He nibbles on food and drinks. I give him his daily mess and fluids when needed. I love him with all my heart. I can't imagine not having him. I'm not from here so I don't have many people.
Smokeys mom
Quote 0 0
Smokey3887
Molly_Beagle_Mom_4ever wrote:
Smokey’s Mom, I’m so sorry your precious boy isn’t doing well. We lost our dear beagle, Molly, a year ago when she was almost 17. Depression and grief are unfortunately the feelings we experience at a time like this. You have many caring friends here who understand and have been through this same thing. Please know that when the time comes, your Smokey will always still be near to you...he will show you the most beautiful signs of this as you work through the grief. He’ll also have many friends at the Bridge to run around with, pain free, with lots of treats and snacks in the beautiful sunshine. Take care of yourself, and remember the love never goes anywhere. It grows and grows, and you will be together again.

Molly’s Mom...Dawn

I am not ok. I don't know how people do this more than once. He is my first. I love him . I don't want him to go
I don't know how to handle this. I live 800 miles from home. I'm lonely at times. He is what helps me get thru the day
Smokeys mom
Quote 0 0
CKMP
Smokey's Mom,
This is an agonizing and difficult time...your sweet companion, confidante and soul-mate is not well and there is that fear - fear he will not rebound...Have you taken him to the vet?  Any advice or direction there?  You are facing a terrible decision...one which none of us ever is ready to make, nor will ever be at peace with deep within ourselves.  Often the last act of kindness and love for our special fur one is to say goodbye and let them physically leave us...You will not be ok - Smokey changed your life forever and always - and while he will be within your heart and soul for always, without him your life will be changed forever and always too...He is your boy, your special one and he will continue to be connected to you...
You will know deep within yourself when the time has come - he relies upon you to make the decisions that are in his best interests...A life lived with dignity - and a life well loved.  Smokey's mom, I am so so sorry you are facing this decision...He needs you now, as you need him...Look within yourself and at your best friend within the world and he will tell you when...Remember, Smokey held you through life for 18 years - and lived 18 years with love, care and affection.  You gave him a loving, accepting home - a life filled with treats, adventures and no worries...Your bond is solid and will not waver no matter what...Now Smokey is looking to you for the next adventure....
This is agonizing - and only you know what is best and right - the head and the heart are at odds now...
Stay in touch with this forum...there are so many kind and understanding people who have gone through this - This is a long road and not an easy one...I am so so sorry for Smokey and for you - Take each moment of the day, one step at a time.
Quote 0 0
Smokey3887
I wish there was someone I could call to speak with.  He currently is sleeping he has drank some broth and ate some turkey. Has not pooped since the enema last night. He has been under a vet's care now for a few years. He was diagnosed with TRIAD disease almost five years ago. He started having seizures about less than a year ago. Now he just seems blah, nibbles at food and drinks broth.  I give him fluids every other day and his meds for his issues I just mentioned. Last night he had to get an enema because he had not pooped in 7 days. She (the Vet) stated that if he cannot poop in 4-5 days then she said she doesn't want to put him thru a enema again. The poop was like clay. He is on meds for the constipation currently.  I am so scared. My life of 18 years will change drastically  I am feeling very isolated. I have to go back to work tomorrow. My Husband has been very understanding about it. I am just scared of the whole process. If anyone is willing to talk please PM me.
Smokeys mom
Quote 0 0
Smokey3887
I am barely eating myself. I am forcing myself to eat. My nerves, my anxiety are bad. 

Smokeys mom
Quote 0 0
PeppermintPatty
Unfortunately, I do not have any advice for you because I am in the same numb state that you are in. My little kitty, Lara, passed early this morning (around 2:00 a.m.) after an excruciating weekend of watching her show a few signs of life, but then ultimately giving up the fight and going in her sleep next to me on the couch. I had just had to have her sister put to sleep in August of last year, so I am overwhelmed with depression. Especially since this occurred around the holidays. Putting two pets down within less than a five-month time span is something I am fearing I'll never get over. It is seemingly too much to handle right now.

You will know when it is time. Please know that I know exactly how you feel. Many on here do as well. That's why we came here. Our bonds with our beloved pets are special, some even more significant that bonds with certain humans. I have heard others speak of how they cried harder at the loss of a pet than they did a relative. 

Hugs to you and prayers for Smokey. 18 years is a long life. Some don't make it that far. He is lucky to have you as his mama. Stay strong and know that you are not alone.
Quote 0 0
Smokey3887
I don't know what to do and I need guidance. Smokey is eating and drinking but then he sleeps and seems uncomfortable. He had a enema on Monday night. He was full of hard poop. He has been eating a light diet of turkey meat and turkey bone broth but he has not passed any poop. Is he in pain, is he suffering? I've looked online I cannot find anything and was hoping you could help me understand what to look for. I don't want to make the wrong decision. Please help me He sleeps with his head down. I'm not sure what this means. He use to sleep like this before but. I don't know
Smokeys mom
Quote 0 0
CKMP
Smokey's Mom,

You know your boy best...Look to others whom you trust for some guidance too...Smokey's vet?  This is a difficult difficult time - and after all the years together you know your boy.  Really only you, Smokey and those nearest to you can help you make any decisions...so sorry you and Smokey are in this situation.  Take care.
Quote 0 0
Marci
Smokey´s Mom,

It is so hard to know what is best for your dear and loved furangel. I can only send my prayers for you both and I know how hard it is to have a loved member of the family so ill. I hope you find the guidance you seek and know that here, we understand what you are going through.

Please take care; I know it is very hard.
Quote 0 0