CabooseDad
He was roaming the canals in the San Joaquin-Sacramento river delta when he got rescued. I brought him in to meet Choo-Choo (I like trains) and even at a very young age, 6 weeks...tops, he jumped on her like HE owned the place. She'd been there over a year already. He was like that the rest of his long life. If it moved, he wanted a piece of it. Even when we lived in Colorado and he had to stay indoors (coyotes) he'd chase me around through the kitchen to the dining room, the front foyer and back into the family room just to hunt SOMETHING!!!
He never ceased to catch something for which to elicit praise. He thrived on it. Finally, he retired. But only because he went blind a couple years ago. But he knew his way around and never needed help finding his way around.
All of a sudden, Tuesday morning, he tried to get up and just fell over. He couldn't walk. The kidney failure and the pancreatitis and the degenerative bone disease in his spine was too much.
He could feel me and smell me and gave me one last kiss before I told the vet the words I had been regretting to utter. Then...he was gone... It was the worst day of my life. Worse than the loss of any human I've ever known. Even my own dad. I only knew my dad 20 years. I was with Caboose for 22 years, as an adult.
Man, it sure does hurt. I'll never forget him...
I hope this Rainbow Bridge stuff is real. I can't wait to see him again.
Caboose's Dad...
Caboose
4 July 1994 - 20 September 2016
22 years, 2 months, 2 weeks and 2 days.
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
CabooseDad,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss! Caboose seems like quite the little man and a wonderful companion I'm sure! 22 years is a long time. He would be such a huge part of your life so no wonder you miss him so much! I do believe we will see out beautiful little friends again. I lost my dog, Bailey last November and it was the worst thing I have ever been through. He was almost 16 when he became really sick and we had to let him go. I was in shock and my doctor said your brain will only allow in what you can handle so I went in and out of feeling numb. Then I had to mourn his loss and sometimes that meant screaming (when I was alone) but you really do need to let out all of the awful grief. It's so important for healing.
I'm so sorry you're going through this! The price for loving them is very high but also so very worth it. Please know that it will get better. I was able to adopt another little rescue dog (something I never thought I would do) but I think of Bailey every day and I know in my heart that I will see him again just as you will be reunited with your sweet Caboose. Take Care,
MJ
Quote 0 0
Monty13
Oh, that is so sad! I lost my Monty in May and I remember how awful I felt during the first few weeks, especially. I had Monty as I was growing up and he was just so wonderful! You had Caboose for a very long time so you must miss him so very much. I agree with MJ. I do think you will see him again and we will all see our friends over the bridge. I'm sorry for you loss...... Please take care!
Quote 0 0
CabooseDad
MJ & Monty13
Thank you both for the kind words. I feel for both of you as well as all of our furry friends and their families. It's tough sledding at the moment but I'm hoping it gets better. However...I'll never forget how much I loved him.
I do wonder how strange I'll seem if I build some sort of memorial to him...not that I really care what people think of me. I like animals WAY more than I like people anyway.
Take care, Mark (Caboose's Dad)
Caboose
Quote 0 0
Julius33
I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of Caboose.  Caboose sounded like an amazing kitty with a strong personality. Not just that but a resilient kitty with a zest for life - even after going blind and being sick with kidney disease and bone issues. 22 years is a proud old age for a cat! That is so many years together - a lifetime even in human years. You were both SO lucky to have each other for that long.

Know that some people understand and feel the exact same way about the loss of their beloved soulmate. Words cannot describe the pain and sense of loss we feel when our animal soulmate passes out of our lives. I lost Julius last Friday and can relate so, so much. 

Treat yourself kindly and give it time. Time heals all wounds - some just take longer than others.

Stacy
Julius's Hooman
Quote 0 0
TabithasDaddy
I am with you. I too hope that my little girl is out there, well and waiting for me. Likewise, even my own Dad passing did not throw me this much. Know that everyone here understands this and has been there too. We have all lived 'that day', over and over. Hang in there, it will get better.
Quote 0 0
CabooseDad
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I still have pangs of guilt. Did I act too soon? Did I wait too long? Could Caboose have had a good life even with his illnesses? Could I have taken care of him properly?

I just don't know the answers to these questions. My wife seems to be handling it better than me but she didn't have the same relationship with Caboose that I did.

When he was an outside cat he'd run home when he heard my car or motorcycle just to see me. When we finally had to bring him in he'd wait in my spot on the couch for me.

This is heartbreaking.
Caboose
Quote 0 0
meganwade3
I'm so sorry for your loss of Caboose - what a brilliant name for a cat with such a big personality!!! The way you speak of him makes me smile - it brings so much comfort to know that others love their pets the way that I love my boy, Banks. He passed away on August 11th, just before his 11th birthday and my heart is broken in a million pieces. I don't think it will ever really heal, but I hope in time the pain lessens. I just miss my boy so much :(

Sending hugs
Megan x
Megan
Quote 0 0