Nessastef
Tonight I had to make the ultimate decision in euthanizing my pitbull mastiff Brazi. Brazi had a distended belly due to his stomach flipping over. How does this even happen?? Brazi was 16years young. We first met 3 years ago at the Downey Shelter where he waited for over 22 days in a cramped space hoping to find a new home. Brazi's previous owners had taken him to the shelter in hopes of euthanizing him because they felt he was too old. Luckily the county shelter didnt jump at the idea of the previous owner and offered to find him a new home. When I met Brazi in his kennel, I immediately fell in love. Fast forward to three years later and I am now met with making the life or death decision to perform surgery or euthanize my beloved. Never in a million years would I imagine opting to euthanize my friend. It was explained to.me by the vet that surgery would only be about a 5% chance of survival due to his age and the success rate of the surgery was very low as well. Brazi's blood oxygen levels were extremely low and it was said he is dying inside. His body had gone into shock. How does this happen?? Brazi the night before had gotten into the cat food and when he didnt eat breakfast this morning we originally assumed he had an upset from his midnight snack. He continued to refuse to eat, even when it was his favorite food being offered. He had thrown up a few times before we realized his belly became distended. His belly had grown to an alarming size that we immediately rushed him to the emergency vet. Everything happened so quickly, I'am still trying to wrap my head around it all. I personally feel like I failed my Brazi bear. I wish I could have done more for my handsome guy. I am truly, truly, heartbroken.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Hi Nessastef,

I'm glad  you found the forum but I'm so sorry for what brings you here.  My heart goes out to you over the loss of your beloved Brazi.  

By the way, there are others here who lost their dogs to similar stomach/intestine issues. I know it was a terrible shock and is a great heartache.

Please don't hold yourself responsible. The fact that it happened was out of your hands. I wish there had been a good option to restore his health.

I know the pain of loss is just searing and healing from it takes real time. I hope it will help you to write here and know others hear you and understand. 

Hugs and comfort to you!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Nessastef,

I truly am sorry for your loss. I can hear how heartbroken you are in your words. It is a very devastating thing to lose someone we love. My heart goes out to you. I hope you are hanging in there as much as can be expected with everything. Many kind thoughts to you...
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
Nessastef
catiebee wrote:
Hi Nessastef,

I'm glad  you found the forum but I'm so sorry for what brings you here.  My heart goes out to you over the loss of your beloved Brazi.  

By the way, there are others here who lost their dogs to similar stomach/intestine issues. I know it was a terrible shock and is a great heartache.

Please don't hold yourself responsible. The fact that it happened was out of your hands. I wish there had been a good option to restore his health.

I know the pain of loss is just searing and healing from it takes real time. I hope it will help you to write here and know others hear you and understand. 

Hugs and comfort to you!
Catiebee, thank you so much for your kind words. In this dark time I am beyond grateful to hear some positivity. I am very sorry for your loss. The love we have for our pets is one that transcends dimensions of time and space it is an eternal love. My heart goes out to you and everyone else who is suffering heartbreak. I didnt realize how common the stomach issue among large breed dogs is. Having found out all of this new information has increased my awareness about difficulties our pets may experience. But thank you again for your kindness. I was beyond distraught and couldnt sleep. When i saw your message I teared up because I needed comfort. Thank you again.
Quote 0 0
Nessastef
RileysMom wrote:
Nessastef,

I truly am sorry for your loss. I can hear how heartbroken you are in your words. It is a very devastating thing to lose someone we love. My heart goes out to you. I hope you are hanging in there as much as can be expected with everything. Many kind thoughts to you...

RileysMom,
Thank you for sending me some kind words and comfort. Its times of dispair that we as humans are resiliant. We have so much love to give to our pets that when the time has come we cant help but grieve and also feel somewhat of a relief for the pain they endured.

My heart is with you, I too have also endured a terminal illness with my pup Penny. She was only 5 months old when she passed. Penny had been purchased from a breeder and at 1 month stopped walking. She had a neurological disorder that caused the rest of her legs to stop functioning. It was devastating to see her yearn to walk and play. But everyday I loved her. I couldnt stop loving her even knowing she might pass anytime. The day she did pass I screamed. I felt as though the blood rushing through my veins had sunk into my stomach and I wanted to faint. I quickly held my composure and found solice in knowing she was in pain and no longer has tl experience the pain.
Knowing our pets will pass on is heartbreaking even before it happens. But the love we express to them means so much more than any medicine or treatment could provide. Our love is eternal.
Thank you for taking the time to write to me. I am so grateful to have found this forum and have people relate to me on the passing of our beloved pets.
All the love ,
Nessa
Quote 0 0
mamame
What a handsome boy!  
I'm so sorry for your loss.
I see he likes to chew the insides out of his toys in the one pic. I can only hope my Arnold and your Brazi are chewing up all the toys to their hearts content wherever they are!
Our unselfish, forever giving furbabies are dearly loved and missed.
I share your loss and hurt- take care and know you are not alone.
Quote 0 0
Shark88
Please accept my deepest condolences.   You did a very difficult and brave thing...in doing what was probably best, you had the courage to give your Brazi a peace and new life in God's animal kingdom.   Very difficult to move on after losing one of your best friends in life but over time the cuts of pain and sorrow will begin to heal and scar over.   You will always miss your Brazi but know that The Lord knows what you are going through and understands.   The Lord's eye is on the sparrow and certainly His eye was on Brazi.  
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
You didn't fail him. You saved that handsome boy and gave him what were probably the happiest years of his long life!
Quote 0 0