Forum

Author   Comment  
Sheri_H

Reply with quote  #1 

Well.. I did it. I FINALLY took Rico's urn out of the box that's been sitting on my desk for almost 3 weeks. I thought that I was going to have to put the ashes in the urn myself which is the main reason I waited so long. I just couldn't bear to do it. And really didn't want the pain of that 1st weekend to overwhelm me all over again.
Thankfully that was not the case. I discovered when I opened the box, that it had already been done for me. I was even braver & opened up the lid & looked inside. So at least now I know what it looks like. I honestly thought I wouldn't be able to even look but it didn't bother me at all. I'm also glad I waited until after I finally had the dream I mentioned in another post here where I saw Rico. That dream helped me so much!
I'm now in process of creating a memory box/frame etc thing to hang on the wall. Found one today at Michaels (who was having a big sale!). Actually excited about doing something creative. Almost went overboard though. I had a limited amount I could spend & almost went hogwild in buying some really cute stamps & inks I found, in addition to the stickers, the memory box & the frame I got. I don't really know how to do stamping & so I plan to "study" up on the subject, consult with a friend of mine who makes cards using stamps & so on. I almost feel like I'm building a monument for Rico but, why not? He was the most special pet I've ever had. Just feels right to honor him this way. My husband thinks we should have it in the living room or something like that but I don't. Rico spent his last months/days a lot in our bedroom & always slept with us, plus this all feels so incredibly personal. Not something I share with just anyone, just my friends who've also lost pets & of course, with everyone here.

Can I just say though that on the one hand I'm also surprised that I'm at this point already?! I mean, when I opened the box on Friday I was like, am I really doing this? Then I held the urn close to me & actually felt better.. yet another surprise. I'm not complaining, just am surprised. Before I did this I'd been thinking a lot about a shelf, or a frame, something to put the urn & his pawprint on. I kept thinking about it, & trying to envision what sort of frame etc. Today i went online & did a lot of searching for frames. There was one I saw that will allow for a paw print plus a photo! It was very cool. After all of this I decided to go check out what Michael's had because I thought, maybe I can just buy something & kinda duplicate my own with stickers, frame a pic withIN a picture box. All to say it was very nice to have the creative juices flowing. Feels like winter is over & spring is coming.. don't know if that makes sense or not, I just know that's what it feels like for me.

Also, more pics of Rico can be found on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1291163525&aid=2023119#!/photos.php?id=1291163525
Susie_Squillions

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Sheri ~

I'm so glad to hear that you're looking forward to making a memorial for Rico.  Dream visits are the best, aren't they?  So healing, and so very comforting.  I'm so happy for you, that you had one.  I hope you will have many more.

I've been working on a special project today, and I finally have my final design laid out.   I'm going to make T.J.'s paw prints now, while he's still with us.  I bought a very light weigh polymer clay that dries on its own (so I won't have to worry about improper oven temps and times).  I will roll it out into a thin sheet about 8" x 8".  Then, I'll mark the clay for the design (a heart within the square). In the center of the heart, I will place a llittle pendant of a heart within a square, so the whole piece will mimic the pendant.  I have always called T.J. "The Heart of My Heart," so this is the only appropriate design for him.  We will make his paw prints within the big heart, surrounding the small pendant heart in the middle.  After the clay has dried sufficiently, I will paint it in the colors of T.J.'s coat, leaving his paw prints white.  then I'll do some gold leafing around the border of the square (and maybe in his paw prints.  I haven't decided about that yet, but there's always time to do that later).  I'm so pleased to have the design ready to go.  That's been a huge hurdle for me.  I know this process will help me deal with my loss when the day comes for T.J. to begin his new adventure with the angels at the Rainbow Bridge.

I hope that making Rico's memorial will be as therapeutic and comforting for you as this will be for me.  I'll try to post a picture of mine when it's done.  I don't expect that to be for a week or two at least, but the important thing is that I get started today while Teege and I are enjoying each other's company.

xoxoxo

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Sheri_H

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Susie - I love your ideas - sounds like it will be an amazing memorial once finished :-)
Rico's pawprint is one I got from the vet & has to be baked, have yet to do that.
I definitely feel like this is all very therapeutic & can't wait til its all finished & hung on the wall. I'll probably take pictures of mine when its done also. Would love to see yours when its done.

Btw Susie, regarding part of my comment I put on your post (prayers) the other day.. I don't think I wrote that very well. Mainly I was trying to express how (IF) the vet has to put T.J. to sleep, that the part when the anesthetic is given, to possibly, look away. Although I have heard that some vets do it differently. Ours gave Rico an initial "shot" which was the anesthetic. But the combination of her giving the shot & Rico's (initial) reaction to it, is what I wish I hadn't seen & still bothers me at times.
Anyway - just wanted to clarify a little better for you.. I really hope TJ is able to just "wake up" in Rainbows Bridge without the help of a vet (when its his time of course) :-)

Also, more pics of Rico can be found on my Facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1291163525&aid=2023119#!/photos.php?id=1291163525
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.