Blossoms_dad Show full post »
Blossoms_dad
I am seeing the pet grief counselor this morning and I am both looking forward to it so I can completely verbalize everything I am feeling but dreading it as well as I know it will be one emotional hour of pain. I am also leaving for a business trip this evening which I am hoping will take my mind off things at least a little. Day 6 and the weight of pain is still unbearable...
RIP Blossom August 2002- Sept 3,2016 and Gilly  2011- Jan 19, 2018
Quote 0 0
catlong75
hi blossoms dad so sorry to hear about the loss of your precious blossom. I too lost my beloved dog suddenly and unexpectantly. She passed two months ago 3 1/2 hours after surgery to remove a mammary mass. I was made to believe that she would be ok after the surgery. I too am interested in a plush animal of my Hitomi. could you please pm me the information? thank you.
hitomi's mom
Quote 0 0
Deremna
I ordered plush replicas of my Harle and Quistis after you mentioned it. It's such a great idea, thank you for the inspiration. We should do a memorial post with them when we receive them. I am glad to hear you are seeing a counselor. I hope it helps you to heal though we all know we will miss our babies forever.
Quote 0 0
catlover1
Blossom's Dad,

I am very sorry for your loss. Do not beat yourself up. I did the same thing with Cody. He had mast cell cancer and we had the bumps removed but then a few months later they came back. He had other issues as well and the vet wanted to treat the other issues. We gave him another surgery shortly after to remove the bumps again and he passed away as he was waking up from the 2nd surgery. I am also beating myself up over what if we did the surgery earlier, what if we did not see all the bumps during the first surgery and hence why they "came back".... All these what if's keep filling my head as they are filling yours and it is impossible to stop us from thinking these things but unfortunately it will not do us any good now. I hope counseling helps you out. Losing a pet is always hard but I think in our situations where we did not choose to put them to sleep and did not get to say goodbye is rough.
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
That is a fantastic idea!
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
Thank you Catlover1 for your kind words and I am very sorry to hear about Cody. Yes, It is very difficult coping with a loss where we did not have time to say goodbye. The night Blossom passed away, I had a dream that we were scheduled to put her down in a week and was going to spend every moment I could with her and when I woke up and realized that was not the case, it saddened me even more. Then again, I have read so many stories and experiences from folks also experiencing the guilt of making the decision to put down their beloved pet even when there is no hope and I guess the reality is, we are our their guardians and so dependent on us on their health and well being, and because they cannot fully express themselves as humans do we mostly all feel guilty when they pass that we did not do the right thing.
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
So I came back from my business trip and all in all, it was good to get away from the house and take a 'break' from the grief even though it was still always there. I still looked at photos of Blossom daily (can't avoid that since she is my wallpaper on my cell phone) and I also had some time to visit a friend whom I had not seen in almost a year who has a wonderful miniature schnauzer. The dog remembered me after a few minutes and she was so lovable and attached to me almost as if she knew I needed this type of affection from a four legged friend. While it was comforting and wonderful, it also saddened me at the same time as it just wasn't the same thing as my Blossom.

Before I had left on Friday, I had my first session with the pet grief counselor and have two more scheduled. It was a very good session and I was surprised that I did not break down...I did crack a few times but I thought for sure I would have been MUCH more of a mess than I was.

While at the airport yesterday awaiting to board the plane, my ex wife texted me two photos of a kitten that is up for adoption. She was found abandoned outside of her husband's place of work and are looking for a home. It is so tempting however I am not sure it's time yet for me and I am concerned in introducing a kitten with claws to my household who still has Blossom's antisocial sister, Buttercup who is declawed. I can easily see Buttercup feel threatened and lash out but being able not to defend herself. Plus we have a guinea pig and while she is caged and is not bothered by Buttercup (Blossom did not bother her as well), I am not sure what this kitten would do.
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
So last night I am watching television and I hear some strange noises coming from my living room...specifically near my piano. Sounded like a cat getting behind it and playing with something. Now I still have a cat Buttercup however she spends most of her time in the basement ever since her and Blossom started fighting some three years ago although she has been coming upstairs a little more often ever since Blossom's passing ten days ago. I just assumed it was her but when I went to investigate she was not there. OK...sure it's possible she ran away before I got there and I didn't see it...I did look down the stairs to the basement and Buttercup was there just staring at me. Cats are fast but I think I would have heard her scamper down the stairs but still...

Then it happened again....again, no sign of anything. While I am not a very spiritual person at all and feel that there is a logical explanation, I'd like to think that Blossom was doing this
Quote 0 0
1967Pinecone
So sorry about Blossom. She looks just like my Inkling! I've had the same experience of not really connecting to or feeling close to an animal for quite a while, then finally getting that closeness for all too short a time. It left me feeling that I didn't love them quite enough, even though some of them didn't seem to be that interested in me even though I tried. I now make an extra effort with those. It took 5 years for Panther to let me pet him, and I'd had him since he was 6 weeks old.

Just remember there will never be a kitten shortage, so take your time adopting. You'll know when you're ready. I wasn't planning to get another cat, but fate brought me 2 kittens yesterday. We found them in the middle of the road. 

"Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow" and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater." But I say unto you, they are inseparable. Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed." Khalil Gibran
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
Thank you 1967Pinecone for your kind words. Would love to see a picture of Inkling...it's funny on how not only do I appreciate Blossom more since her passing, but now love tuxedo cats in general. There is a local shelter that has a tuxedo up for adoption and this cats markings are like 90 percent similar to Blossoms so it is sooo tempting to make a beeline and adopt her. But I almost feel as if I would be doing it for the wrong reasons and be REALLY using her as a substitute.

Nice to hear that I am not the only person that took a long time in connecting with their pet and also had that seem feeling that I did not love them enough as you correctly put it. It certainly has added to the grief and guilt for sure. Even though I feel it's impossible, I am now trying to gain some trust with Blossom's sister Buttercup but not sure what kind of inroads I can make.
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
This morning I had lox for breakfast which is something I would have every other day but haven't been able to for two weeks because of Blossom's passing. I had spoiled her where for every meal she would jump up on the table and beg for scraps. It was annoying to say the least (I would do ANYTHING to be annoyed like that again by her) especially when she did not like what I was eating and then proceeded to meow and head butt me as if to say 'eat what I like to eat!'. But when it came to lox, she LOOOVED it (and of course she would, she's a cat and it's raw salmon). I felt a little guilty eating it without my little buddy and a little breakdown as I was preparing it but I got through it. Trying to make my life 'normal' again but I know no matter how much I heal, it will never be 'normal'...it will just be a new 'normal'
Quote 0 0
1967Pinecone
I've just spent the last 5 minutes  trying to get a pic of Inkling, since none of the photos I have of him show his face really well. There is quite a resemblance, although he has more white on his face than Blossom does. The little brat keeps jumping on my shoulders! Now he's on my lap swatting at my face. It's annoying, but like you said, some day I'll give anything to be annoyed by him again.

It was the same way with Buttercup. She was blind, and loved to claw her way up onto my shoulders and ride around. It often hurt like heck, especially without a few layers of clothing! But I'd do anything to have her back with me. Only 8, and passed away suddenly with no warning, just a little vomiting one night and then dead a day later.
"Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow" and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater." But I say unto you, they are inseparable. Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed." Khalil Gibran
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
Wow 1967Pinecone...so we have/had similar looking Tuxedos with Blossom and Inkling AND also have/had cats named Buttercup. My Buttercup is my remaining cat and is Blossom's scared of her own shadow sister. I am sorry to hear about your Buttercup...
Quote 0 0
Blossoms_dad
My daughter is coming home for the weekend from college today and it will be the first time that she is home since Blossom's passing. She was closer to Blossom than I was so I am not sure how this will go especially when I do not think she realizes just how much of a void was created by not having Blossom around.

Quote 0 0