Wanderlust1789
Last week my husband & I noticed our cat had been laying in the same spot all throughout the day so I told him to go move him around and see if his leg or anything was bothering him. He meowed and didn't seem to be in pain, just tired. We were both off of work for the week for our summer vacation so everyday we were busy out of the house taking our kids to do things. On Friday I kept smelling a cat urine smell in the front room and saw my cat laying behind the couch so I smelled him. He smelt like pee so I put him in the bath. He didn't even fight me! He stood in the water and drank it like he was very thirsty. And he also felt skinny to me. I called the vet and they told me to bring him in because I didn't think he had been eating. They called hours later saying he was very anemic and only had 10% of his red blood cells which should be atleast 40%. She told me he had a 25% chance of surviving and might not make it though the weekend. I was DEVASTATED. The next morning we went to see him because I was so scared he might pass without us saying goodbye. We held him and kissed him and told him we loved him, he was so weak. I asked the vet how much a blood transfusion would increase his chance of survival and she we'd be lucky to get his blood count to 13 or 14 percent. He needed to respond to the medications is what she said. The next morning we got the call that he passed away and my heart was broken. Now all I can think about it maybe the blood transfusion would have saved his life. I keep finding other people's stories who's cats blood cells were at 7% and survived after gettting a transfusion. I'm just so sad and depressed and keep thinking we should have done the transfusion and she should have encouraged us to.
Quote 0 0
Wanderlust1789
Every time I walk in a room I look right at the spots I know he'd be sleeping. He could still be here if we tried the transfusion. It's so hard knowing he's never coming home to his family and his sister cat ☹️ My kids won't get to grow up with him.
Quote 0 0
BadensDad
I am so sorry for your loss.  I know the guilt with thinking if only we had done this or that.  I elected to not have surgery done on my 11 year old dog.  I feel guilty about that!  We can only make decisions based on what we know and are advised at time.  You shouldn't beat yourself up.  We do the best we can.  Your cat loved you as much as you loved him.  It's hard I know.  I wish you peace as the days go on.
Quote 0 0
Wanderlust1789
Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry for your loss as well. The "what ifs" are really getting the best of me. Especially reading other people's happy stories about their cats surviving. I know time will help heal the pain, but it's so hard right now.
Quote 0 0