SweetBetty
I need to tell Betty's story.  We had to put her down on September 14th.  She was almost 15 years old.  She was the sweetest, most gentle animal I've ever had or known.  One cold winter day, when she was a kitten, a lady driving down a busy street in our city saw someone throw her out of their car window into a snow bank.  The lady stopped and rescued her and brought her to the no-kill stray cat shelter where I volunteered.  Of course, I fell in love with her and we adopted her.  Our other cat, Katie, bonded with her right away.  She could tell that Betty was traumatized and every time Betty ran to the basement to hide, when there was a strange noise, Katie would go down and cuddle up beside her and stay with her.  Amazing, really.  And so they became the best of friends.  Katie was only a few months older than Betty.  And so we had them both for almost 15 years.  They always slept together, cleaned each other, and loved each other.  As I write this, Katie is beside me asleep in "their" bed, alone.  She didn't eat for three days after Betty was gone.  And she still searches for her.  All we can do is love her even more.  I wish I could explain this to her.  I hate to think what Betty went through up until that day she was "thrown away".  She was so loved by me and my husband, I'm sure we made up for her horrendous start.  And of course she had Katie.  I know only too well how many abused animals are out there, having volunteered at the cat shelter for a few years.  I just felt that Betty's story needed to be told, and for people to know how very much she was loved.  We miss her terribly.  I'm going to try to insert a picture of Betty and Katie together, I hope it works.  Betty is on the left.    

Betty and Katie small pic.jpg 

Quote 0 0
treecee53
Im sorry for your loss but thank you for telling betty's story. it makes me sick that some people literally through animals away. but betty had a great life filled with love, from not only you and your husband but from katie as well. i went to the shelter last week two days after my baby went to the bridge. i am not ready to adopt just yet but i do believe it was my rita telling me to go and just look and begin to open my heart to another cat. i get so sad when i go to the shelter knowing each one has a sad story. i want to take every one of them home!
You definitely made up for her horrendous start in life and i hope you find peace and healing until you meet again
Quote 0 0
Daisysmom1
I love this story. It makes me so sad how heartless people can be. You gave her a great life . I'm sorry for your loss and that Katie is missing her friend, that breaks my heart. =(
Quote 0 0
SweetBetty
Thank you both for your lovely replies.  I think sharing Betty's story was something I mostly did for her, and maybe all the other abused animals out there.  We always found it so amazing how much she trusted us, after all she must have gone through.  Treecee, there will definitely be another cat who needs your wonderful love.  Getting another pet doesn't replace the one that is gone.  We have lots of room in our hearts for all of them.  I've had many pets over the years, cats and dogs.  I loved every one of them, and they are all still in my heart.  We just have Katie, the cat, and Molly, the miniature pinscher, left.  My husband and I are both 66 years old and these will be our last "fur" babies.  Molly is only 7, so we hope we have quite a few years left with her.  However, I've never been without a pet, so I guess we will just have to see when the time comes.  Of course the worry is what happens to future pets if we go before them.  Anyway, thank you both again for your lovely replies.  
Quote 0 0