Digger

Hey all-

Just stumbled upon this forum as I try to figure out how I'm going to get by after we likely have to put down our dog later this afternoon. I am a father of 3 boys (11,8,2). We are all devastated, particularly my wife and I.

We adopted our Oskee in February of 2003. They said she was about 1. So we've had her about 15 years. She was seriously abused before we got her. She's been through 4 stomach surgeries for eating foreign objects...needless to say, we've been through a lot together. Yesterday night, she suddenly took a turn for the worse - balance problems, a few falls, won't calm down. Anyhow, we head to the vet in 2 hours.

Wondering if anyone had any good advice for adults and/or kids for coping during the first few hours, days, weeks. I just can't imagine what life will be like in a few hours...I'm in serious pain.

Thanks in advance,
Dig

Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry about what you have to do, but you are being selfless in doing this and thinking of your Oskee.

The first few hours tears will fall like crazy, you will feel numb, your heart will ache, you will probably have a hard time sleeping. I had to take 3 days off from work when I had to put my last baby Jemma to rest. There is no easy way on this path, its a dark path, a long path but you have to feel your feelings. I do know talking to people, especially posting on this board has helped so much. And I also journaled each day of my feelings, and I also "talk" out loud to my pets in heaven, it really helps the healing phase. Also look for "signs" as time goes on. If you truly beleive in the Rainbow Bridge, then you know your Oskee will be on a new and fun journey free from pain. Yes, you will miss his physical being, and his being at home. I had so many meltdowns in the first few months were i would just fall to the floor and ball my eyes out, and crying every night on the way home from work for 4 months.

Please know you are not alone and I wish you strength and support on this path you are now taking.

Cam

Quote 0 0