Forum

Author   Comment  
Peach

Reply with quote  #1 
I adopted him from the animal shelter on March 20th, 2003.
It was love at first sight. He was my constant companion and the love of my life. He was by my side for so many things, the biggest being my mother's illness and subsequent death. 

When Beck's health began to deteriorate in November of 2018, we made numerous visits to the vet. I spent a lot of money trying to make him feel better, get better. I was willing to spend what it took because this wasn't about money. It was about helping my little love. The entire time I felt that I was grieving for my mom too. It seemed that I was going through the same motions over again as a caregiver to a sick loved one. It was very draining both physically and mentally. 

Then January came around. This month has always been very difficult for me since I lost my dad to suicide in 1998.
It seemed that Beck's health plateaued, almost as though he knew I needed him still... on February 1st I came home from work and overnight his health had completely deteriorated. I spent the day with him, comforting him as he slept. He would wake up periodically and cry until he heard my voice. "I'm here baby, and I'm not going anywhere." He would then dose off again, and this went on all day. Later I snuck away as he seemed to be sleeping profoundly, and made a quick visit to the vets for a stronger pain med. Then I came back home and made a phone call to a business called Vets To Go. Even though I didn't want to, and I could barely dial the number through my tears, I booked an at home euthanisia for Beck. Car rides had begun to stress him out to the point of getting sick since everytime he got in a car, it was tests and needles.. I wanted him to be stress free and at home in my arms when he took his final breath. 

I feel that he knew I was ready to let him know because he died not even four hours after I made that call. And he died in my arms, I will be forever grateful for that.

Beck graced my life for a little shy of 16 years, leaving me on February 2nd, 2019. He's a little thief that took a piece of my heart with him, but I plan to fill that hole with the many wonderful memories he left me. 

BECK.jpg 

AlabamaAnnie

Reply with quote  #2 
Beck was a wonderful, well loved kitty. I think that he hung on for as long as he could, for you. I am so sorry that you have faced so many traumatic experiences...the death of a parent, the illness of another. And our pets do offer us comfort as we go through these trying times. Your love for Beck is evident in how you speak of him and that you were so aware of his needs. The hole that they leave is vast. Much comfort and love to you during this difficult time.
Peach

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you.
Missmysweetboy

Reply with quote  #4 
What a handsome boy. So very sorry for your pain. Hugs to you
Nacoka

Reply with quote  #5 
You adopted him and gave him a wonderful life for 16 years. I think you were each other’s angel. I’m sorry for your loss. You need to grieve his death, then when the time is right (and you’ll know) celebrate his life. He was a beautiful cat. And a very fortunate one to have you in his life.

Jack’s mom
Peach

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmysweetboy
What a handsome boy. So very sorry for your pain. Hugs to you

Thank you, and hugs back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacoka
You adopted him and gave him a wonderful life for 16 years. I think you were each other’s angel. I’m sorry for your loss. You need to grieve his death, then when the time is right (and you’ll know) celebrate his life. He was a beautiful cat. And a very fortunate one to have you in his life.

Jack’s mom

Thank you for saying that, he was my little angel for sure. This grieving is awful, but it is worth it for having him in my life.

And this forum is fantastic, it brings so much comfort. As I read what others have lost I realize that some of the thoughts and feelings I am having are actually quite normal. I guess many of us here are very hard on ourselves. It's nice to have a place to express how we feel. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.