Forum

Author   Comment  
UCFKnighs

Reply with quote  #1 

Hi!  I have a 9yo female beagle, Lucy.  In November 2008 she had an ugly growth removed from her mouth.  It came back melanoma as the vet suspected.  She was given 6 months to a year to live then.  Well, a year has come and gone.  In November 2009, we had a 2nd ugly growth removed from her mouth.  Shortly after that surgery, I noticed that the lymph node on the left side of her throat was growing.  The vet said this was the cancer spreading.  The lymph node is about the size of a baseball now.  Our vet feels like it might only be a few more months.  She is a happy dog.  She eats well and plays with her toys and loves to stand outside at night and catch bugs that gather around the garage lights.  We don't want her to suffer.  When will I know its time to let her go before she is in pain?  Thanks for any and all replies.

CharleeJLZ

Reply with quote  #2 
I am  so sorry to hear your news, you must be very strong to go through this. its not easy at all. Lucy playing and eating is a fantastic sign and what a strong little girl to be happy through her ops and lymph swelling! I dont think id like the bug catching all that much, well as long as they wernt brought near me :) x
Knowing when the time is right is very difficult, every person in your situation has thought the same, my mum's cat is 16 and is showing old age in many ways, and knowing when an animal is in pain is very difficult. but saying that, i can only say that you will know when is the right time, you might not think you will or what your looking out for but you know Lucy the best... inside and out. With my cat, i noticed he seemed different, a different he had never been before, he didnt seem in pain but he looked glum and wasnt his usual bouncy self. the little spark in his eye was going and hed look at me and i felt it. i do not feel he was in pain at this point as animals in pain are likely to bite you when you touch them, become irritable etc.
keep talking if you need to hun and just trust yourself and enjoy all the time you can as you both deserve it. your very lucky to have eachother and shes so lucky to have such a caring owner. Keep your chin up, dont forget you can always pm me and others if you want a chat etc, the chat rooms and your vet is always there to answer questions. Your not on your own xx
Your doing a fantastic job dont doubt yourself and i send best wishes to you both xxxxx
UCFKnighs

Reply with quote  #3 

Thank you CharleeJLZ.  Your words meant alot to me and reassured me I am doing what needs to be done for Lucy.  It pains me to see that huge lump on the side of her neck.  But I guess it's like a GF told me, who would you put her down now for - you or for her.  I want to keep her as happy as I can and loved until I see a sign from her or feel the time is nigh.  Thanks for your reply.

MagzMom

Reply with quote  #4 
UCF I am sorry that Lucy is ill.  I think for me the decision was made that last week with Maggie.  I wrestled and agonized.  I knew her best as I am sure you know your Lucy.  She didn't want to show me she was not feeling well, she kept her "sunny side up".  She stopped eating which was the big red flag.  She was so weak she couldn't follow me around and do the things she always did, although she really tried.  My heart was breaking, its totally broke now.  In the end, I put her well being and quality of life in front of my own, and gave her some dignity. 

You know your baby, you will know when it's time, she'll let you know too. Hang in there, I feel your pain.
UCFKnighs

Reply with quote  #5 

Thanks MagzMom.  I guess I will just know in my heart that's it time.  Until then, I will love her all I can.

CharleeJLZ

Reply with quote  #6 
your a very strong person, i am sending my thoughts still and email whenever you need. send her cuddles from me xx
UCFKnighs

Reply with quote  #7 

Thanks for all your comforting words.  I noticed tonight that the lump on the side of her cheek is intruding into her mouth.  You can see the tumor inside there now.  This is so hard.  Lucy has a 13 yo pug brother who is in ill health also with a collasping trachea and can hardly walk and is mostly blind.  I wonder if they both are putting on their sunny faces for mom.  I believe the pug has a high tolerance for pain.  I just pray for God to guide me as to when is the best time to say goodbye to either one of them.

UCFKnighs

Reply with quote  #8 

Lucy has crossed the Rainbow Bridge today about 3PM.  The lymph node on the left side of her neck was huge and spreading under her neck.  This weekend she was very quiet and hid under the bed alot.  And there were times when she would wheeze when she breathed.  She seemed to eat okay except when food got caught in the growth and then she would kinda hack and hack.  We took her to the vet to let him give us a consult.  He said the lymph node was bigger than it was last month and he could see her throat was starting to get growths across it inside too.  He said that this was as close to her needing to be let go without being in pain as we could get.  He said we could take her home but we'd probably be back within a couple of weeks.  We had already talked about it and decided to let her go.  The cyst on her head had burst again and was very ugly this time and I couldn't stop the bleeding.  It was very quick and painless for her, but heartbreaking for me.  She was 9 years old.  I will miss her terribly.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.