Helonwheels
5 weeks on and the pain stabs me very deeply. I lost my boy Bandit  to an aggressive form of cancer.  His life was passing before my very eyes and I didn't even know,  I was taking him on a routine arthritis injection, when the vet said that my dog was bleeding into his stomach and that he was dying.  I had to say goodbye to my best friend as he wasn't going to see out the night. How do you say goodbye to such loyalty and love? I am deeply broken at having to let my boy go, but his body could no longer sustain him. I miss everything about him, his personality,  his independence,  his love and his soul piercing eyes. Deep hurt and emptiness resides in me, will I be able to accept he is gone, will I ever be able to love in the same capacity again? I truly miss my boy, Bandit, I love you ❤💛🐕🐕🐾❤💛
X x
Quote 0 0
grievingmama
I'm so sorry for your loss, it's very hard and the grieving process is so very painful. Our lives revolved around these little furry beings who not only played a huge role in our lives but also, gave us such a gift of complete unconditional love. Reading about your visit being planned for a simple arthritis injection only to have it become suddenly life altering, hits home with me. I said goodbye to my boy recently, he got his final arthritis injection (of 4 loading doses) only a few days prior..it was supposed to just be about managing discomfort. I too had no idea we were about to say a final goodbye. Please be kind to yourself. Don't rush your grief. Honour your pup as best you can right now. xx 
Quote 0 0
Pecan_mom

I’m so sorry for your loss.  I lost my beloved dog Pecan unexpectedly so I know exactly how you feel.  Please be kind to yourself and give yourself time and permission to grieve.  

With love, 

Sp
Quote 1 0
Helonwheels
Grieving mama, do you think the arthritis injections may have been detrimental to our loved ones? 

Helen xx
X x
Quote 0 0
Helonwheels
Thank you Pecan mum, sorry to hear of your loss. It is very hard on us, thank you for your kind words xx

Helen xx
X x
Quote 0 0
grievingmama
[QUOTE username=Helonwheels userid=7251763 postid=1311956327]Grieving mama, do you think the arthritis injections may have been detrimental to our loved ones? 

One of the first things I did when I said goodbye to my boy after months of decline, was question everything he had been treated with over that time frame. This is part of the grieving process, desperately looking for answers/control of the past.
Every med has side effects, it's the same for human medicine. I know some that my boy had taken long term for one health issue had a negative effect on other functions. That said, when it comes to routine arthritis medicine most are typically low risk, and cancer is obscure, they don't know for sure why we or our animals get it. I'm not sure what your dog was getting (steroids as an inflammatory or perhaps cartrophen vet?) Steriods can cause issues with long term use, but again cancer is an unknown. I doubt the injections were a part of the reason why both our pets suffered sudden internal bleeding. Cancer happens and cancer sucks :( Again, I'm so sorry for your loss. 
Quote 1 0
Helonwheels
Thanks grievingmama, your well rounded out thoughts brought me back to reality. Cancer is indeed a dreadful sickness! I appreciated your words very much and realized that so many of us out there are devasted by our loss of our precious babies. Now for the long journey of learning to live without them, as painful as that is. Thank you xx Helen xx
X x
Quote 0 0
roseblue1
I understand how you feel...it was like my cat Monty I knew he was really old for his breed (he was a Maine Coon and they usually have a life span of 12 years and Monty was going into his seventeenth) but before I knew it he was suffering and I never saw it.

I was told that pets have a way of hiding there illnesses from you...whether this is true I do not know.

The vet said he was an old boy and best to let him go...the hardest thing I have ever had to do as my heart broke into a million pieces that morning.

I knew that he was loved and I knew he loved us.

You will be able to love again in time....as I am sure your heart is big enough for someone else.

Ellen x
Ellen Hague
Quote 1 0
Helonwheels
Thanks Ellen, I have cried tears deep from my heart for the last 5 weeks. Now I feel so very numb, lost, empty and guilty. I am grateful for your kind words. This forum is great for healing. Our babies got deep into our souls and now we are all faced with lonely roads. Only pet owners really understand this. 

Helen xx
X x
Quote 0 0