ElenaMarie
It hasn't even been 2 years since I visited here and shared Claxton's story.  I haven't fully healed and now my precious Preston has been taken from me.  I don't think I will recover this time.  Too many of my furbabies taken from me in a span of 4 years.  I am like the kiss of death to cats.  As much as I adore the little creatures.  I think I'll do them all of favor and not adopt another one again...

Below is a letter/email I began mailing and posting to alert the public of the harm ProMeris caused to my beloved feline companion of 4 years. The emotional distress his sudden and preventable passing has caused to me - heartrending. As I am left with nothing but a costly veterinary bill.

WARNING dated 6/2/2010: In Memory Of My Precious Preston - ProMeris flea prevention/control dangerous to your pet/pets.

I wish I would have goggled and read through the numerous post, emails, blogs, and websites that warned about the danger to using ProMeris before applying it to my sweet boy. Not to mention the recent EPA reports I've since read. I can assure you that this is not an urban legend - as I just lived through it.

I applied ProMeris to my four year old domestic black and white male cat Preston on Friday, May 29, 2010. On June 1, 2010 I had to put him to sleep due to kidney failure. Although, his vet couldn't say for that it was the ProMeris. She did say that some poison/toxin caused the failure. Preston was a healthy and happy cat until I applied this product. Now after a four day stay in the hospital he is no longer with me. His vet's attempts to flush his system with fluid therapy and antibiotics in hopes of restoring normal kidney functioning couldn't undo the damage. Why is this product still on the market! This product is extremely dangerous and should be removed until its safety can be guaranteed.

Heartbroken in Florida

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I am so very sorry to hear about your most recent heartbreaking loss.  I'm sending virtual hugs of comfort now.

Was the ProMeris by prescription?  My sister managed a veterinary office for 15 years, and her daughter is now a vet (our vet, as a matter of fact).  Both of them say that these products should never be used without the animal first being given a basic exam to make sure they are able to handle it.  Had you treated anything in the area (bedding, etc) with other products?  I know that is a huge problem.  Flea and tick products are very strong and should never be mixed.  The problem is that the warning labels on some products can be so vague that it's almost impossible to tell what the dangers are.  I almost overdosed my beloved T.J. once, not realizing that certain products could not be used together without disastrous consequences.  Thank God I discovered it before using either of them.  I know a lot of people haven't.

You would never, in a million years, have done anything intentionally to have harmed your babies.  Handsome Preston knows that, and he does not hold you responsible for what happened.  He will live forever in your heart of hearts.  He runs free with Claxton and the others now, healthy, young and happy forever and always.  I hope you will receive some kind of sign from him soon to let you know he's near by. 

You and your Bridge Kids are in my thoughts and prayers.

My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
ElenaMarie
Hello Susie,

Thank you so much for your kind words of comfort.  Please know that I send you the same in return.

No it wasn't by prescription.  My life partner purchased it at the a local PAWS at their high recommendation over my normal flea control product, Frontline.  I actually remember having a uneasy feeling right before applying it to him.  As if I somehow inside knew I shouldn't. I didn't think anything of it because I'm always a bit  nervous when applying any flea product for fear of - exactly what happened!  I am having such a hard time coping. And can't even grieve properly because I don't know how I'm going to pay for the rest of the vet bill?  I was only able to give them $150.00 out of an approximately $500.00 bill. I couldn't even afford to have his ashes returned to me for an additional $140.00.  I had to opt for the basic cremation and that breaks my heart even more.  I wish it didn't have to be amount the cost. It's bad enough losing him in such a way but to have to worry about the remaining bill...  I want his treating vet's to be paid because they did try to help him. They were good to him and even allowed me visitation, I believe now because they knew he wasn't going to pull through.  My heart is so heavy.  This is the worst of all of them because of the circumstances.  It was preventable if only mommy had been more educated about these nasty products.  As far as filing suit against Fort Dodge.  I would only do so to hurt them were it counts, because after all, it's always about the profit, now isn't it.  No amount of there money can replace my beautiful boy.  What price tag can be put on the unconditional love and sweetness he graced my life with for those 4 short years. It would be nice if they would take responsibility for the vet bill, but I will not sell my soul in return.  I want the public to be made aware of the dangers of this product and it pulled off the market until its safety can be assured.

Thank you and God bless.
ElenaMarie
Quote 0 0
MagzMom
I am so sorry for your loss Elena.  Please try not to beat yourself up too much.  I know that is probably not possible.  Your Preston knew you loved them and would never do anything intentional to hurt them.  I pray that your heart will heal. 
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Oh, Elena, I'm so sorry. If I were in your position I would probably feel exactly the same way you do, but since I can look at this with a bit more objectivity, I want you to know that you did nothing wrong.  You used a product that you believed to be safe, and you used it in order to keep Preston comfortable and safe.

The product, and indeed the whole industry of flea sand tick prevention, let you down.  Because of my sister and niece's veterinary experiences, I am acutely aware of the dangers of these products, but most people are not. They are marketed OTC, hand-over-fist, to a public that trusts them to be safe.  Every item should come with strong warning labels, especially about mixing the use of these products with any other products, including those to treat the animal's surrounding.  that is one of the most common interactions around.  But even using a flea collar in conjunction with the drops can be deadly.  the manufacturers don't tell us that up front. They want to sell as many products as possible.

I'm so sorry you weren't able to have Preston's ashes returned to you the way you wanted them to be.  It's just another level of heartache that you shouldn't have to bear right now.  The only thing I can suggest is to make a memorial of some kind to honor his life. Write about him, or get (or make) a custom frame for a favorite photograph.  Although the ashes mean so much to us, the important thing to remember is that they are a symbol of the best friends we loved so well, they no longer embody that special spirit.

Once you have the veterinary bills under control and can manage it, I do have a site to suggest.  A friend of mine makes beautiful custom designs of animals, and her cat pieces are fantastic.  I just ordered one from her for T.J., and I can't wait to see how it turns out.  I've attached a picture of one of her custom cat vases.  Here is a link to her web site:  Nina's Big Store

Please try to forgive yourself for what happened. I know it will take some time, but you will come through this.  Please stay with us as long as you need to.

xoxoxo
My heart is battered and bruised, but I will not let it break. It holds such precious cargo, I must protect it now. (Susie Squillions)

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Quote 0 0
jasminesmom
Elena,

I am so sorry for your untimely loss and I know how you feel. I gave my healthy, happy Jasmine ProIn (prescribed by her vet), stoped it after 5 days of reseraching it and lost her 57 days later to kidney failure. And yes, today (9 mns later) I still feel guilty for doing so.

Jasmine was there to greet your precious Preston and soon you will be at peace knowing all your furbabies are free from pain now at The Rainbow Bridge.
My thoughts and prayers are with you today.

Hugs,

Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm
Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
Jasmine was loved
Jasmine was given ProIn
Jasmine is now gone
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
SchnauzsMom

Dear friends,

I am a bit of a naturalist and never used any flea or ticket products on my Schnauz.  Instead, I rubbed him down with lemon juice (diluted slightly with water) before we went outside during flea/tick season.  If you look at many of the human bug/tick products, one of the major ingredients is citric acid.  Lemon juice did the trick for us -- never a bug -- in fact, I would watch mosquitoes circle him and not land

-Schnauz's Mom
Quote 0 0