maryashley12
On Friday my beloved baby girl passed away. She was a lab Shepard mix. She was almost 11 years old. Now I knew she was getting older but didn't show signs of slowing down until 2 days before she died. She had stopped eating. Worried my parents made a vet appointment. That morning we called and they had to fit her on for 5pm. I came home to find her breathing very heavily and gagging. It was the scariest moment of my life because she was my best friend. We sat with her until my dad got home and then had to carry her to the car because her back legs went suddenly. on the car ride over I sat with her while her breathing got worse and worse. we had decided collectively that to have her be happy we would need to put her down. As soon as we pulled into the vet they helped up carry her in and put her on the table. Seconds later she took her last breath. She died on her own terms, but seeing her body like that, her eyes open and not breathing is an image I have not been able to get out of my brain. I see it everytime I close my eyes and I just want to stop grieving but feel like I can't. she was so important to me it feels like my heart has been broken, like a part of me died with her. I loved her so much and this heartache is almost unbearable.
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Hi, I am so very sorry for your loss. I think most of us on here keep playing that final image over and over in our minds - I know I did when we had to have our dog ptd just over 12 weeks ago. The pain we feel in the first couple of weeks in beyond belief, but it will get better, Your precious baby knew it was her time to cross the Bridge, and it would have comforted her to know that you were with her. 
 You must be kind to yourself, I started to keep a diary about my dog Jim, every memory that came into my mind - I still write in it every day, I let Jim know how I feel and tell him how much we loved him. I found that helped so much, but the main thing for me was finding this wonderful site. We are all going through the same grief and loss, and it really helps to know that you are not alone.

Hugs, Jackie.

J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Baumert81
I understand what you are saying Maryashley. While I held my baby in the car waiting on the vet to get there that is all I could focus on was his eyes. He just wouldn't blink. I have never lost an animal like that before so I wasn't aware of all the stages. Had I known he was gone I would of just kept him at home and let him relax. I tried puppy cpr for at least 20 minutes, I just couldn't let go. Much like Jackie, I started writing in a journal last night and it helped me a lot. I wrote down all the things I loved about him and all the things I will miss. Then I wrote down what I did that day and let him know that his brother was ok and it was ok for him to go play in puppy heaven but I would write to him again tonight. It helps to put a little routine like that in I think. My prayers are with you.
Hogans Daddy
Quote 0 0
EM
It's a wonderful blessing that you and your pooch have been together for such a long time. Read the Bible scriptures on this website, they are very comforting and inspirational.
Quote 0 0
camunki
hi, you did the right thing, letting your baby be free and no more pain. Unfort. sometimes dogs only have days or weeks to live, and then their lives are suddenly taken without any type of warning. I lost my baby Munki back on Dec 3rd 2015 and she was diagnosed with cancer Friday (day after thanksgiving) and only lived 6 days longer and was in pain and i had to do the inevitable to take away her pain.

I am glad you were with your pet til the end, that is the most important, and now your baby is free, watching over you as your guardian angel......til you meet again.

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0