Darleen
Just received a call that my chihuahua Sambucca's ashes are ready for me to pick up.  I am sobbing as I type this.  I still cant believe he is gone one week ago today.  I am hurting so badly.
Quote 0 0
cgf
Darleen, Im so sorry for your loss of Sambucca. I know the pain you are facing. Tomorrow will be 1 week without my sweet boy Gusto, the pain is unbelievable. I was just thinking about that phone call too. My thoughts are with you.

Louanne 
Quote 0 0
Darleen
Thank you Louanne for your reply.  It all seems so unreal.  I just pray each week will be less painful.  I am so thankful for this site.  God bless all the supportive people on this site.
Quote 1 0
springacres
Darleen and cgf, I am so very very sorry for both of your losses.  The best advice I can give is to take things one day - or even one hour - at a time, but to surround yourself with people who remember your furkids and share your loss.  And if you can't find someone who remembers your furkids, every one of us on this forum has had at least one similar loss or is facing one.

Hugs and prayers,
Maria
Callie - my dog daughter
Tigger & Katrina - my angel kitties
Quote 0 0
mpaull
Hi Darleen,
I am 29 days out from losing my Auggie Doggy.  I couldn't handle going back to the vet to pick up Auggie's ashes-I had to send my husband.  Then when his ashes came home, I couldn't even handle having them in the house without sobbing.  Every step like that has been a struggle and, I guess, part of the grieving process.  

I am so very sorry for your loss.  I wish I could say I'm feeling better after 29 days but I can't.  I can say Rainbows Bridge is an amazing place to find.  Everyone is so kind and truly understands your loss, while respecting your own process and experience.  The first week after Auggie died, I went onto the Monday night service and it was extremely supportive.  I also write letters to Auggie on my post and it helps to have that time to honor him through the power of words.  I'm not sure how it is for you but I don't really have too many people to share openly about my grief.  Many of my friends and family were supportive for a few days after Auggie was gone but then it was like, "OK, time to move on..."  I didn't feel comfortable sharing my feelings with people who really don't understand this kind of bond.  These posting sites at Rainbows Bridge provides you with a safe and trusting place to communicate with other people who understand the strong bond we share with our fur angels.  I encourage you to stay close to people who truly understand and want to hear your story.

I do believe Auggie is in a safe and nurturing new place with his health restored.  I also know our fur angels will take care of each other just like we want to support each other.  I know Sambucca will be loved by so many over the bridge.  I hope you can give yourself some tlc and know you are never alone with your pain.  I wish you peace and strength in the days ahead.  

Peace and love,
Auggie's Mom-Melissa

Auggie's Mom
Quote 0 0
normsmom
The ashes. Oh man, it's such a tough thing. On the one hand, you so badly want them home with you. On the other hand, it is so very final and another horrible step in realizing that they are gone for good. I have set up Norm's ashes with a framed photo of him and some candles that I light each morning when I say hello to him and tell him how much I love him. I am glad to have him home, but I was absolutely inconsolable when his ashes first arrived. Thinking of everyone on this thread who is going through this heartbreaking time. 

Heather
Quote 0 0
Darleen
Thank you to all who wrote me.  I just walked in the door from work.  My husband picked up Sambucca's ashes.  I can't believe what a huge wave of grief I feel.   I could not go to pick up his ashes either so I sent my husband.  I am sobbing as I type this.  The reality just smacks you down again.  It is so so hard.
Quote 0 0
HoundDogMama
Hi Darleen, I will soon be getting this call as well. I said good bye to my baby Jackie on Monday night at our home next to a campfire which was one of his most favorite spots. Sending you lots of love. Take care.
Quote 0 0
Chinadoll
Blessings to all of you on this thread who are just receiving or going to receive the ashes. For me, it did finalize the loss in my mind. It was a very hard day. I never wanted to return to the vet's office where I lost her, not soon anyway, but that's where the ashes were. I was dropping off some toys she had to an adoption place when I got the call. I prayed, I prayed and then prayed some more. A very strange peacefulness came over me, all the tears stopped, things slowed down. I was able to drive over to the vet's office, pick up her ashes and drive home, peacefully. It was so unusual. Of course, when I came through the door at home, the tears flooded, my heart ached. I am so sorry all of you have to go through this, I pray for peace and I hope the days ahead will slowly improve for you. 
Charlie
Quote 0 0
mpaull
I read all of your posts and I feel like we are kindred spirits.  The whole experience of losing them and the ashes and the waves of grief!  Our pets were so amazing and so are all of you!  I do not think I am very special but my Auggie Doggy was...I also thought I was this crazy freak who loved my doxie with every ounce of my being.  I'm being forced to go out tonight and I am dressed in black from head to toe-totally in mourning.  Have to run.  

My thoughts are with all of us in our journey...much love!
Auggie's Mom
Quote 1 0
Lcoffman1
My glorious Aussie named Bunny passed on 2/3/18 and her ashes were ready 2/5/18, I was at work all day and have had extremely high anxiety since her death.  I actually couldn't wait to rush into the vet office and pick my girl up and take her home.  Her whole life I always told her that I would never leave her and I didn't.  I embraced the cedar box and drove her home.  I placed her on my nightstand and continue to include her in conversations as if she were alive.  

On Tuesday morning before my alarm went off Bunny came to me in my dream, and it was absolutely very, very real. I heard her nails on my hardwood floor and it took me by surprise, she came running from my living room into my den, she was joyful and leaping and hopping around like she did. She was a blur of fur. She was sooo happy to see me, she leapt into my arms and I buried my face into her fur and smelled her, I could actually feel her warm body in my arms, and held her face and told her how much I loved her and thanked her for coming to me to let me know she was okay. She was lightning fast and very happy, then my alarm went off and she was gone.  This gave me a lot of comfort when I got out of bed.  Bunny was a highly intelligent dog and we had quite the connection like shared souls.  It made me immensely happy that she was able to do what she did for me that morning.  I weep off and on during the day and imagine I will be doing that for quite some time. I think the longest I ever left her was for 10 days when I went to Italy.  I am quite sure that I will remain a homebody for a while.  I always made sure I was home by six to feed Bunny and I never, ever wanted to leave her for very long, even on the weekends I would make my errands/exercise short because I just wanted to be with her.  I for went many activities/friends because I wanted to just be home with her.   Everyone reacts the same, but differently as well, but the ashes for me were comfort.  DogBless

Linda
Quote 0 0
Jscandle
My Juice passed on the 4th. His ashes were ready this morning for pick up. Quite an emotional few days, I am having so much trouble. Despite all the feelings and all the tears I am finding what little comfort I can in the fact knowing he is back home with my wife and I and also our second dog Piper. I am so sad during this time and I hope that you, as well as I can find comfort sooner than later. My deepest sympathies unfortunately I am right there with you
Quote 0 0