Hossenfeffer
our yellow lab, ROSE, was taken from us by a hit and run driver 4 weeks ago tomorrow.  as everyone here knows, it has been tough.

i am a procrastinator.  for the first time, i made my christmas cards in SEPTEMBER!!  i was using snow pictures from february so i thought why not get a jump on things this holiday season??? then we took in a little kitty that we had planned to be strictly a barn-kitty.  after she was fixed, we brought her in to recuperate.  rose loved her so much we could not take her back to the barn.  our dog had a cat. :)   . . . . had to re-do those christmas cards to add ELLIE.  ( luckily i had only ordered a only few the first go round anyway. )

my 10 year old and i were saying 2010 had been our best year ever.  then BAM! november hit with a vengeance.  rose was taken 11/08/10.  we crashed into despair.  on 11/13/10, we adopted a new puppy.  it was a bad choice.  she was not rose.  she was everything but rose.  she was a terror!!!  at 6 weeks she growled, bit, barked.  we were not used to such a rough puppy.  rose was sweet from the start.  we got her at 10 weeks and was only 11 months when we lost her.

we couldn't even name this little monster we brought into our home!  we argued for 2 weeks - finally my son and hubby won with BEAR.  strange for a female i thought.  then i realized it could be short for BARRACUDA!!! 

it was so bad, i spoke to my husband about selling her.  she was still only 8 weeks and almost house-broken and crate-trained!! someone would buy her!  it was too soon for the adults in the family.  my son loved her from the start.  then after she drew blood a few times, even he mentioned selling her!

after 3 weeks (yesterday) we had a heart-to-heart and said we could not be hypocrites.  ( so many of my friends never kept their pets for life - we ALWAYS have )  we realized we are in it for the long haul :)  . . . she is getting better :)

anyway - i wanted to share this little picture that i will add to our christmas envelope this year.  i'm using those cards i made - i love them.  this little pic will introduce BEAR and honor ROSE.  (still crying for rose. . . )

i hope you like it!
Quote 0 0
TomT
I am so very sory for the loss of your beloved Rose,  these things are so hard to come to terms with.  Please accept my sincere condolences.

The story about Bear brought a grin to my face.  A few months after Starr passed, we brought a very rough, very rambunctious male German Shepherd puppy named Scout home... he was 6 weeks old, and we had not had a male dog in the house for several years.  I still after 2 years have tiny white scars all over my arms from his bites.  After trying everything I could think to do, the day finally came where I bit him back...  HARD!  He never did it again!

I pray you and your family Peace and Comfort,  and above all Good Luck with Bear!

Tom T
Quote 0 0
Hossenfeffer

thanks for you kind words, TomT :)  that is a good story about scout!!

i keep telling myself - like children, furbabies all have different personalities!  

rose spoiled us by being so kind-hearted and calm.  ( she was just what my son needed to help him get past his fear of dogs and even turned him from a cat-person into a dog-person in 11 short months!! )

bear is getting better by the day.  i believe she is an alpha dog.  this should be an interesting ride!!!

here are a couple of pictures of bear. . .

the first day home she was pulling the curtain!  augh.

Quote 0 0
judylinn
You know how sorry I am about Rose. I had to laugh, the pictures of bear are so cute. Maddie used to bite me all the time, one day, I had had enough and gave her a good smack on the face....nothing hurtful, she never bit me again..she realized I was the one in charge.
My experience is that brown labs are more energetic shall we say, but they will be loveable as well. It may have been a little soon, as you needed time to grieve for Rose...but bear is yours now, and I just pray all goes well. if you have the committment, it will.
thanks for sharing your story and the cute pictures of both. I looooove the table cloth picture...thats exactly how Maddie was as a puppy, but man did she grow into a loving girl.  Bear will too.  Keep sharing about all.  Judy:)
Quote 0 0
sadiesmom
I am so sorry to read about your loss of dear Rose. She looks and sounds like such a lovely girl.
And the pictures of Bear are the first thing in a long time to actually make me laugh out loud at my desk! The look on his face with the slipper — oh my!

We have a 10-month old yellow lab/sharpei mix I recently adopted in the wake of losing my 11-year-old rottweiler/chow mix (and love of my life) Sadie. Joon is trouble—last night I set up the Christmas tree and she chewed a few ornaments and some of the tree.

The first few weeks we had Joon were so stressful on top of the agony of losing Sadie. My stress level was through the roof, the boyfriend and I were at odds over her, arguing like crazy. Then there were a few sweet/fun moments, and a few months later, she has really settled in and (although not perfect), she has wormed her way into both of our hearts and has turned into quite a good thing for us.

So good luck with that bear. Sometimes the troublesome ones (Sadie had aggression towards other dogs etc.) end up pulling on your heartstrings even more. And man is Bear adorable.

Liz

Quote 0 0
ohkari
Great pictures.  I too made the mistake of getting another dog too soon.  He's growing on me and sometimes does things that Dottie used to do that the other dogs never do.  Sometimes I think he's part Dottie. 

Rose will always be missed no matter what other dog will come into your life.  She was your forever dog. 

The only thing I think of when I'm really upset is that when I go to heaven Dottie will be there.  I honestly believe that God gives you back what you loved most in your life.  What's heaven without your favorite things?  Be it a dog, a cat or in my husband case, cigarettes (he doesn't smoke anymore and hasn't forever but he still misses them).  Now not every dog will make it to 'my heaven' but Dottie will.  And I can't wait to see her.

Quote 0 0
Hossenfeffer

thanks everyone. . .   4 WEEKS AGO TONIGHT - nearly the exact time too, we lost rose to a hit and run. . . the hardest thing to accept ever. . . 

and

ONE YEAR AGO TODAY we brought rose home for my son.  she was 10 weeks old and he was so afraid of her. i thought it was the biggest mistake to push a puppy on a child so fearful of dogs.  thank goodness i was wrong!

his dad told him he could name the puppy and he said ROSE.  ( after the buddy-movies with yellow labs - the only girl dog was named ROSEBUD. ) his dad tried desperately to talk him out of rose but we convinced him and she grew into her name. :)

here is their first encounter. . .

Quote 0 0
angie95

I'm so sorry to read about your beautiful Rose.  Your new puppy Bear sure is a cutie.  I wish you many happy years together.

Hossenfeffer wrote:
our yellow lab, ROSE, was taken from us by a hit and run driver 4 weeks ago tomorrow.  as everyone here knows, it has been tough.

i am a procrastinator.  for the first time, i made my christmas cards in SEPTEMBER!!  i was using snow pictures from february so i thought why not get a jump on things this holiday season??? then we took in a little kitty that we had planned to be strictly a barn-kitty.  after she was fixed, we brought her in to recuperate.  rose loved her so much we could not take her back to the barn.  our dog had a cat. :)   . . . . had to re-do those christmas cards to add ELLIE.  ( luckily i had only ordered a only few the first go round anyway. )

my 10 year old and i were saying 2010 had been our best year ever.  then BAM! november hit with a vengeance.  rose was taken 11/08/10.  we crashed into despair.  on 11/13/10, we adopted a new puppy.  it was a bad choice.  she was not rose.  she was everything but rose.  she was a terror!!!  at 6 weeks she growled, bit, barked.  we were not used to such a rough puppy.  rose was sweet from the start.  we got her at 10 weeks and was only 11 months when we lost her.

we couldn't even name this little monster we brought into our home!  we argued for 2 weeks - finally my son and hubby won with BEAR.  strange for a female i thought.  then i realized it could be short for BARRACUDA!!! 

it was so bad, i spoke to my husband about selling her.  she was still only 8 weeks and almost house-broken and crate-trained!! someone would buy her!  it was too soon for the adults in the family.  my son loved her from the start.  then after she drew blood a few times, even he mentioned selling her!

after 3 weeks (yesterday) we had a heart-to-heart and said we could not be hypocrites.  ( so many of my friends never kept their pets for life - we ALWAYS have )  we realized we are in it for the long haul :)  . . . she is getting better :)

anyway - i wanted to share this little picture that i will add to our christmas envelope this year.  i'm using those cards i made - i love them.  this little pic will introduce BEAR and honor ROSE.  (still crying for rose. . . )

i hope you like it!

Angie

My Sparky 5/26/2000 - 12/5/2010
Quote 0 0