spiritdog
http://www.rebellesociety.com/2013/12/18/5-lies-you-were-told-about-grief/

My grief counselor sent this to me, and it has a lot of validation for us.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
jonancy
Thank you Spirit dog for posting this. You don't know how much I needed to read this today. It is nine weeks today that the love of my life died. Since the two month mark, I feel I am reverting backwards into a deep depression..I go through the motions of life because friends and family wouldn't understand after this long how could I still be sad. I want to scream......He was my baby and I miss him so much I can't stand it!! I am going to read this over and over.

Again, thank you!

Jonancy...Scooters mama

Quote 0 0
Apollo_the_great
What does this even mean?
William
Quote 0 0
Nadjabs
I loved this article!  
It's been 2.5 weeks since my bundle of furry joy has passed.
At times I feel fine but other times I'm very emotional.  I have very little support right now because what is done is done and I should "move on already or just get another cat".
I haven't been wanting to go to any social activities and I felt a bit guilty because "I'm not trying to feel better".  This is what people want to see you do but it's completely unrealistic.  There is also the feeling that "feeling better" is letting your loved one go.  It's hard.  
If grieving over a loss of a human can be lonely it is even worse with pets.  People just don't get it.  I took only 1 day off from work because it's busy season and I just had to pretend that nothing had happened.
I was visited by a couple and later I sent a text apologizing if I was acting a bit crazy.  I was furious at myself for even have apologized!  Nobody else knows what we are feeling but us.  We don't need to please others.  We all grief differently and I try to remind myself of that. 

Quote 0 0
TimTam
Thank you Spiritdog.

Being without you takes a lot of getting used to.
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Spirit dog
Thank you for sharing , so many things ring true
Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
Thank you for sharing this Spiritdog...   I read every word over and over and it is SOOOO true!  Only those that have experienced that grief and unconditional love can understand.  The last paragraph is true for my life...and I will feel it for the rest of my life.  Thank you, it validates all I feel

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
spiritdog
I am so glad you all understand. Grief is such a long lonely road, and validation is a very important part for us. The "world" tells us to move on, etc.......but I believe we should be allowed to grieve for as long as it takes........we need to have our mourning validated.

Validation is healing.
"People disappoint, dogs never do" - spiritdog

"You MUST be your pets ADVOCATE, if it doesn't feel right walk away." - spiritdog
Quote 0 0
mybaby1robert
Very good article. 

Thanks
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Spiritdog,  I just found the time to get to reading this article. Wow!! Thank-you for providing me with something that truly validates the many feelings I have had through the past few month's. I have often felt that Coco took the best part of me when she left this earthly life. The truth is that she did.
 I can relate to so much of what this article describes. It puts into words things that I have not been able to articulate very well. It confirms that I have not completely lost my mind. I am trying to find myself again, its a long road to travel if with the burden of true loss on your back. I have come to accept that. I refuse to allow others to determine how I should feel or give me a timeline for feeling it.
  What is the lesson in all of this? There is a lot to be learned from having a part of us taken away. Yet we must stay open to that. Lessons learned through such loss can be very painful. I am just doing the best that I can. This article helps me to realize that by allowing myself to feel it all, take it and use it to rebuild my life in the most loving way possible, is the best thing I can learn and do.  Thanks again, and thanks to my beautiful girl Coco, who gave me so much in life, who continues to give me so much, I love you Coco, always, forever!!!
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Yes, maybe this is a part of life's lesson, and part of acceptance is embracing the fact that we will always grieve and yearn for our babies
How could we not? And how could we not be forever changed by all they brought to us. And by the loss of them?
as painful as the process is I think it is far better than the alternative , to pushing ones feelings aside and 'getting on with it' as so many people expect one to do.
Our beloveds lived, they mattered tremendously and will not be forgotten!
Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Thank you for this article spiritdog. It is very helpful.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0