Larissa
Wondering if anyone has tried grief counseling? I thought I saw someone mention it but there was no follow up if it helped or not.
Larissa
Quote 0 0
DaniC
I haven't been to a pet grief counselor though after speaking with my vet, I think it might be beneficial. In her line of work she has seen a lot of people going through the death experience all in their own unique ways.

The day I had my baby put to sleep, it was so surreal. It was le one of those dreams where you can't speak, can't move, frozen. It was like I was watching this event play out in front of me. I cried bitter tears at the end as the reality of what was happening hit me hard. Enter the nightmare..

I cry and I miss my baby like sunshine, but at the same time, i don't beat myself up over 'what should I have done differently' etc. I did the very best I could in that moment. I do want to better understand what happened. Some have told me I had a disassociative experience and very well may suffer from PTSD.

So all that to say I have not seen a grief counselor as of yet.
Quote 0 0
Burl_B
I have not been to one yet, but I plan on it.  There is one in my area on the third Wed of the month.  I am going to go to it.  I have been crying everyday missing her.
Katy Lou, you will forever be in my heart.  Until we meet again.  Daddy loves and misses you so much.  You are daddys daughter.
Quote 0 0
rlynn91
Ya i am gonna look into it this week its been 3 weeks today my Fiona has been gone and i had a episode of tears last night started to remember all the time i spent with her and it just got to me 3 weeks is not a long time to grieve for a loving cat i miss her so much 12376753_1171066579588086_5314987317947164848_n.jpg 
Rhonda robenolt

*Love you always fiona & Mrs kitty 
Quote 0 0
Bahoomba
I'm actually considering it. It's been two weeks for me; I cope, but I break down every so often and I'm yearning for the "gray" to finally go away. I miss my old life so badly.
Quote 0 0
Larissa
Missing your old life so badly is the best way I've heard this feeling explained. I know some humane society branches do counseling. I haven't found anything in my area.not sure if a regular grief counselor for people that you've lost would be the same. Would a general grief counselor work or should a animal specific counselor be found.
Larissa
Quote 0 0
Tommyhunter123
If the grief counsler is free I would go, I lost my beagle of 14 years Luckydog 3 months ago on jan 1st I still cry almost everyday, this is what I do I pray the rosary for him every night before I go to bed. 
What you are going through is normal it could last a week it could last a long long time. Most people that are very close to their pets have worse times than actually losing a relative, cuz their love is different.
The best help you will ever get is going onto the chat room on here or visiting the monday night candle lighting ceramony.
david gaspari
luckydog 1477725_681588531872448_833527484_n (1).jpg
David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
I`m also finding this forum so helpful. We lost our 17 year old boy Jim a little over 4 weeks ago, and some days are just unbearable, but its also the loss of the routine of looking after him, giving him medication, trying to get him to eat etc.  Even getting up during the night to take him into the garden to pee is hard, as I seem to be waking up every 2 hours anyway. If I still feel like this after 3 months, I may seriously consider counselling, but as the moment, I find just being on here is helping, knowing I`m not the only one going through this, and that I`m not going mad. Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Larissa
Jackie,it sounds like you too are experiencing " caregivers syndrome " . That adds a whole new dimension to grief and swimming through it all. It's When 24/7 you are caring for an ill or disabled pet,your whole world,even when you brush your teeth and how much time you have in between doing things before you need to get back. I have read you run on adrenaline when caring for something or someone to that level. Then when they pass you are left shocked,stunned and nowhere you go,nothing you do doesn't remind you of them. Because for so long every other thought deals with their care. Also the adrenaline is gone,so your body experiences a crash,and can lead to exhaustion. It's a very physical thing to deal with adding to the immense grief of loosing your friend. The longer they were ill needing your care the worse it can be. For me,caring for my disabled pet was two years. Now this empty wheelchair sits and torments me. I have lost pets both ways,those needing immense care long term,and those that go quick. It's not easy either way,but the added empty ferling of when to give meds or change their bed or turn them on the other side,it can seem torture. I struggle with not feeling needed anymore despite a full farm of amazing animals needing love and care. I hope your routine is soon filled with happy reminders of Jim,and his love,not just his health and your responsibility to tending to those needs. Thank heavens for this group,and we're all here with you when you need us
Larissa
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thanks Larissa, you describe exactly how I am feeling, I seem to have so much time  to do things now, but the strange thing is I don`t really want to. When Jim was here, if we wanted to go out it was like an army exercise, getting him in the car, taking him to mums, then a quick dash round the shops or going local for a meal - always aware of how long we were out. Even though mum was great with him, there were always those little niggly doubts - what if somethings happened to him while we`ve been out, what if mums had to go out and left him ( which she never would of), just basically guilt feelings. We went for a drive on Sunday, but even though Jims passed, I still didn`t want to stay out long. Its like we`ve had this routine for so long it feels odd doing something different. I suppose it will just take time, adapting to a new situation, and it has only been just over 4 weeks. Just so glad I found this site. Jackie. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
kllsu
Hello Everyone,

There are no support groups offered in my community. I am considering see a grief counselor because I need to process these intense emotions. I was not this devastated at the recent loss of a family member. I have heard that we grieve so intensely for our animals because they ask nothing of us except love...they never judged us. We do not usually have someone so happy to see us every time we enter a room like our babies did. If I go, I will post what it was like for me.

~Karen~
12342594_10205164480618705_4779219107197853601_n.jpg 
~Karen~ 

Quote 0 0
Larissa
Karen thank you I'd love to hear if you feel it was worth it. I have also heard we mourn deeper for animals than humans. Makes sense. Sometimes the last thing I want to do is be with people,but I'd hang out with my pets 24/7
Larissa
Quote 0 0
EM
There are all kinds of mind games that this plays on you. It was like instantaneous that I went from a really happy-go-lucky person with confidence to the complete opposite of those. I think there are so many factors involved too, maybe a combination of many things that add up to all of this hurt. It goes from migrating bouts of guilt to denial of what happened. Many other things as well. Maybe the inexperience of not going through this since I was a kid, when things use to be so simple and pure, and not so complicated like they are now as an adult person. Who knows though, maybe it's just fear of the unknown, even though I'm Judeo Christian, or maybe it's some other reason that we don't quite know. Grief counceling is pretty much my next choice to make in order to ever go forth through all of this if I ever want to go back to living normal or at least somewhat normal.
Quote 0 0
Larissa
Em, I hear that. What is normal now right? Life itself is totally changed. I'd settle for somewhat normal right now too. I'm just so curious to hear if/when someone goes to counseling and what they thought .
Larissa
Quote 0 0
EM
Yeah a part of me didn't take anything for granted, but another part of me did. I was in denial just as much up until he went to Heaven, thinking maybe we'll stay together like this in this physical form forever. Like I said, as a person with Judeo Christian beliefs I sometimes feel like such a hypocrite when I look back at that. I'd joke confidently about how well I'd get through it when it was his time, whilst really wanting deep down inside for it to continue like it is. And then when that moment came, my greatest concern was how it occured, such as, did he go to Heaven with me holding him at a ripe old age, which he did. However, now that that moment has come, the weak part of me still goes into selfish mode and wants to still hold him in the flesh, so that I can stroke him and kiss him and nurture him like so many times before. Reality to me is that nothing has changed. And ironically, spiritually, according to my faith, the only thing that has changed is that his spirit is with God in Heaven. It is still so difficult though for me to carry on in this chapter of life though, but I try, I do try.
Quote 0 0