BoxerMomForever Show full post »
Living_with_tragedy
njzip wrote:
I just lost my 8 year old yorkie to diabetes. He went blind five months ago and was getting insulin twice a day. I went broke trying to rejuvenate him. I am now getting evicted. I still have to listen to people,s bull I am devastated beyond belief. The hell to the holidays.

Oh, how so young to contract diabetes and then go blind.  I'm so sorry. I went through the insulin thing with another dog way, way back, but he was already 15.  He was lucky to have his sight. I let him go at 16, he had too many other things happening and he lost his ability to walk. I put him out of his suffering, but he lived a full life.  

I'm sorry about your loss and you have every right to have a quiet holiday. I'm having no holiday since I'm not about to celebrate and have a grand old time a year after my 6 year old died on Xmas Eve. Something about that doesn't seem right. My dog deserves more dignity and respect. I'm with you with the screw the holiday. I am still grieving as you must be since it was not long ago for you. If this was a person who died we would be frowned upon by celebrating the holiday. My dog was a person to me. I had no children and cared for him like I would a child. 

You take care. Get some rest. Stay away from too many holiday shows, they may be bad reminders.  I'm immersing myself in happy non holiday movies and shows, like cooking shows. 

Do what makes you feel at ease and not what others dictate. 

Take care,
~ Parker's Mom
Quote 0 0
Michelemh
Is it just me or is anyone dreading tomorrow? On top of losing my dog, my cat is sick and now I feel sick from all the stress. Can't wait until all this is over.

Michele
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Please read my prior post.

I will be alone (except for my rescue kitten KID) in a cold, uninsulated warehouse, with no friends or family, I am completely broke and don't know where my next meals will be coming from this weekend, but I have a Marie Calendars Turkey Dinner I have avoided eating (even when hungry) to save it for Thanksgiving. Each year I used to take my girl and sister out for Thanksgiving dinner buffet to a 5 star hotel. We would dress to the 9's and then go to a movie.

It is supposed to rain all day here tomorrow, as it will be raining all day today. My clothes are dirty. I have no hot water heater, just washing my hands is painful at night. I miss my cat Marmalade terribly and I still cry. I am technically homeless but able to stay in the warehouse due to the graciousness of an ex-employee of mine. BUT I am not dreading tomorrow. All day and all night I will be only 100% GRATEFUL & FEEL BLESSED that my and Marmalade's paths crossed in the first place and that we loved each other so much. That I was shown great mercy by my ever having met him, got to know him and that I was loved by him.

It is remarkable that I had to hit the absolute lowest part of my life, to finally, fully feel this way. But such has been my journey. And it has been worth it.

I am deeply humbled. I am grateful to have ever known such love and companionship in my lifetime. The more I feel this way? The more I am healing.

Hugs,
James
Quote 1 0
Michelemh
James - Where are you located? There are churches and other places offering free meals at their locations. Maybe someone can drop off some food and water for you. Clothes also. Cat food?

Michele
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Michele:

I will be  saying a prayer for your cat over the Thanksgiving holiday. Make sure that you take some much needed time for yourself. I know that is easier said than done, but we don't  want you getting sick too. Yes, the stress and demands of the Holidays can be overwhelming. Just take it easy. That having been said, I also will be glad when the Holiday are over with. It can't go quick enough.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
James:

You are an amazing person. The very idea that you are not angry at the world for your current plight is a testament to your character. You said that you are humbled by the graciousness of your long time relationship with Marmalade. You and Marmalade were so very Blessed to have had each other. I once read somewhere (author unknown) "that he or she who has never known the love of a pet, has never known love at all."  So true. Despite your current circumstances, you have known a love far greater than many others will ever know - wealth and affluence - or lack thereof - notwithstanding.
I must confess, I have been posting recently that "I can't wait for the Holidays to come and go quickly." I still stand behind those statements. Still feel that way. But for a brief moment tomorrow I will be lighting a Candle to honor my beloved Shelby and saying a prayer for the wonderful people in this Forum. That's what I am Thankful for.

All the best,

Jim 
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Michele,

Thank you so much for your kind comment and suggestions. Actually I have been a volunteer at a local church here. Although I am not a member of their congregation.

When Marmalade and I first arrived here to Los Angeles, I went to the local Social Services office. They provide those in need with a few bags of groceries 3 times per year. Marmalade could eat their Vienna sausages, canned chicken and tuna. Which we shared and he enjoyed. Then I went to the church and they have a food pantry that provides food once a month, on a first come, first serve basis. But they would run out of key foods each time as the lines are long. They feed 300 families per month. If you are single you receive much less food.

I became a volunteer at the church and would help empty food delivery trucks each week from the larger Los Angeles Food Bank and then I helped built-out the churches Thrift Store. I then located obtained / salvaged  a large metal donation bin for the church and then personally donated hundreds and hundreds of pounds of clothing (I also donated to the Veterans Administration) that I had salvaged and secured donations of from several miles around the warehouse where Marmalade and I resided using a push cart. I currently store hundreds of pieces of clothing for men, women and children here at the salvage yard where I am based, as well as appliances, cradles, strollers etc. intended for domestic abuse survivors. I donated so much, the church could no longer handle any more donations, so I store items here.

As a volunteer I was able to receive food prior to the once a month distribution day. The church was very supportive of Marmalade. They called me once and the coordinator said a prayer for them and then in the background I could hear the entire congregation say "AMEN" in unison. They would drop off canned chicken by the case for him.

I ended up starting an outreach program to feed the homeless in camps and on the street. And used a push cart / dolly to bring food to those who could not, or would no,t go to the church on food distribution day. I also distributed salvaged tents and sleeping bags to those in need. Winter is always a very challenging time for the homeless as you can imagine. I am grateful I have a roof, a couch and can lock a door and sleep. It gets down to about 40 degrees in the warehouse, but I built an igloo like structure within it for Marmalade and I. Kind of like a hut. Marmalade loved the hut as I could (and still do) turn a small heater on inside it and warm it up, with no safety risk the way it was designed,

I was able to stock up on some food, but there are always dry spots between and at times the food bank had no idea of what they are going to receive each month. And the food is also often past expiration date or about to expire and if not frozen must be eaten quickly. I'm doing better financially speaking but again, at times it is tough. I didn't mean to sound like I am starving, I get by. It is just difficult. But I am rebuilding from the ground up. I do believe 2020 is going to be a much better year.

What I was trying to say is this time of year is all about giving thanks, being grateful, and feeling blessed, not only for what we have currently, but for what we once had and lost. It is all about perspective.

When I finally got that message above? It changed me in many ways. I don't mean to sound preachy. I am just trying to share perspective.

I do hope you continue to heal and that your cat feels better soon. I too will say a prayer for your cat like Jim above wrote.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 1 0
Matthew

raise your hand if today sucked! 

*raises hand

Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

I am completely estranged from my remaining family. My only friend (other then KID the kitten) is in New Zealand currently on a film shoot.

I raised 2 hands, placed them together and prayed with great gratitude instead, for:

1.) My path crossing with my beloved cat Marmalade in the first place.

2.) For the love, friendship, companionship and countless good memories Marmalade and I shared

3.) For the time that Marmalade and I were allotted together.

(Even for as short as that time was ( 4 1/2 years.) Only "forever" would have been enough time with my lad.)

4.) For coming across my rescue kitten KID, when he was in need of a friend and I was as well. And for his great companionship to date. 

: )

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Hugs,
James
Quote 1 0
redgirlraven
Well Thanksgiving sucked without my sweet Roary so I am not looking forward to Christmas.
AR
Quote 0 0
MichelleKinkaid
Holidays are definitely not the same without my Rocky and much of my family.
Thankful for the support and compassionate, caring folks here.
xoxo
Michelle Kinkaid
Quote 0 0