catiebee Show full post »
catiebee
I very much appreciate everyone sharing here. I know none of us are trying to park within any of these images, but we definitely try to escape from those emotionally loaded mental images as soon as possible. Yet in a way certain moments feel like they're branded onto our hearts and emblazoned in our thoughts--and the pain is all too easy to rekindle. Still in rough shape here.  Glad to hear from ones who say these things will fade in time and not be as excruciating.

I will try one of the letter-writing exercises in the "Grief Recovery Handbook for Pet Loss." It can't hurt and might help. I'm a believer in expressing the feelings and letting them out as best we can, whether in writing or spoken word. The sadness has been unrelenting.

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
AZTiger98
Catie,

I am having the same trouble. The memories of Stormy, frightened, trying to climb out of my arms in the van. The look of resignation on her face at the vet. Her limp body in my arms afterward. The grief is still so raw. I hope those images will fade as the time passes.

Writing letters to Stormy on my new post is helping somewhat, at least to let me get the hurt out instead of bottling it up.

Hang in there. Say hi to Marissa for me and ask her to go find Stormy. :)

David
David

Daddy to beloved fur baby Stormy
08/2003 - 05/19/18
Stormy’s Residency https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/STORM059/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Radarsmom
David, I really have to thank you for this post.  My Radar died in November, and I am still struggling with these images and all the pain.  I love your letter writing idea.  Oh what I'd give to talk to him again!  I will try it later today, and I think it will help.  Thanks.

Connie
Connie C
Quote 0 0
TeeGirl
I read an article which said you should think of an image or images beforehand to quickly go to whenever those sad images pop into your head.  I've done this and it does help.  Of course there are times when I allow myself to just linger on the sad image but it does no good.  It only causes me to cry and go deeper into sadness which doesn't do me any good.  The only real healer is time.  
Quote 0 0
Lynn62
Sandy_T wrote:
I still remember my baby Joejoe and how he reacted to the euthanasia drugs. He passed in 2014. I don't know that the images will ever go away but I can say with time it doesn't hurt as bad. When the horrible images come try to remember happier times. I hope you find peace.
Quote 0 0
Lynn62
I too remember my Rock and have that image in my head.
Quote 0 0
Sil
Catie and everyone,

Now, I am crying.... I suffer from the same "last day, last hour" guilt.  The images have been torturing me - Sol's last moments - my very special male doggie -, his moaning in pain....his pain meds took longer to work …… and he suffered.   

Reading all your posts re-assure me that I am not alone in my grief and guilt - grief/guilt the mean twins-.  Hugs
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Oh goodness. I'm sorry I left posts from weeks ago unanswered here! For some reason, I didn't catch them, but thought this thread had gone quiet.

David, Connie, and Teegirl, I dearly hope that you're not still experiencing those torturous pictures, or that there has been real ease by now in this area. Images can be terribly hard for our minds to push out and they bring such heartache! 

Lynn62 and Sil, my heart goes out to you both very much. The images bring such cruel pain and are very hard to shake, especially in the early days of grief. One can still drop my heart into a dark hole and I have to fish it out of there. Gratefully, the "end" is not the summary of their lives and does not represent the days and years of love and nurture and all the more carefree and life-filled days our furry loved ones had. For sure, you are not alone and in time these pictures somehow become easier to step back from. I can't say they go away, but at least to me they don't loom as large. 

Big bear hugs to all and warmest hopes and wishes for your strength and healing!

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
Catie I don't know if anyone has suggested but have you heard of EMDR therapy? A friend is doing it and I looked it up yesterday. It sounds amazing. Replaces those images with better, happier ones so your brain is actually retrained to remember the good ones. I am thinking about trying that.
hugs
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Melissa, thank you, dear friend. I will PM you a reply. 😉
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0