Quinn
Hi there,
Yesterday, we tragically loss our beloved friend and family member of 11 years. Our dog was attacked and killed by another dog.
I witnessed the whole thing and couldn’t do anything about it as the other dog was 10 times the size of my little dog and had mine in a lock jaw.
I went into shocked and managed it get a little sleep last night. Today, I woke up in a complete mess and I am having trouble coping with his loss. The image keeps replaying and replaying.
I’m an writing as we do not know anyone who has been in this situation to talk to
Quote 0 0
Gmr
I am so sorry for your tragic loss. I can't say I have ever had that happen to me . But my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry.
Quote 0 0
Quinn
Thank you x
Quote 0 0
shantismom
I can't imagine what it is like to witness such a terrible thing.  All of the people here have suffered a loss of their fur friend and we do know the heartache it causes.  The only thing I can think to say it that you dear dog is not in pain any longer. He is not still in that lock jaw but is now free from all pain and stress.  Time will help you but it will take time especially under the circumstances.  You have my heartfelt sympathy.
Marlene Wagner
Quote 0 0
I am so very sorry prayers and hugs sent to you God Bless
Quote 0 0
Please keep writing i would love to read more about your baby
Quote 0 0
redgirlraven
What an awful awful awful thing. I don’t know what to say except that I am sorry. Daybydaypetsupport.com has a hotline you can call that is staffed by people trained in pet loss grief. Maybe calling one of their consolers can help you as you process not only your grief but also your trauma.
I have also read that playing a repetitive game like Tetris or candy crush saga will help re-wire your brain so PTSD doesn’t set in. You should do this as soon as possible. Even if you don’t feel like playing a video game, please consider it - and do it soon. As your brain replays the horror of what you lives through it lays down tracks that will be there for a long time, this sis supposed to help prevent that
AlsoI recommend googling “the ball in the box” theory of grief (after you have played a video game like Tetris )
Also I recommend seeking professional help from a doctor and a counselor- seriously what you witnessed yesterday is exactly what induced PTSD and there are preventative steps that can be taken but that need to be taken ASAP.
AR
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Dear Quinn, I’m sorry for your devastating loss! I think the last poster (redgirlraven) had some very good ideas that will be helpful for you. You will still have to grieve your awful loss though which is in and of itself enough to deal with!
Adriane_d on this forum experienced something very similar. You could always do a search and perhaps leave a reply on her thread or maybe a message. I can see why it would be helpful to share with someone who understands exactly what you’ve been through.
I’m not even sure what to say. No one should have to go through something so horrific! Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
kristenharlow
I'm so sorry, Quinn. So sorry. My Barney was also 11. He died in my arms after his leash was run over by a car. It was the last thing I expected, the worst thing I could ever have imagined. I understand how you feel. It's such a shock, such a huge shock, that you can't even believe it happened at all. It took me a while to even really understand that Barney was gone. It's been a little over 3 months, and only now is the veil of shock beginning to lift and I'm realizing that he is truly gone. It's a heavy burden to lose the sweetest thing you've ever known, violently. I know. Sending you lots of love and healing (and hopefully I can borrow some of that, too). 
Quote 0 0
Living_with_tragedy
Quinn,
Where do I begin to say how deeply sorry I am.  This is a tragic event you witnessed. You have been traumatized. Maybe a grief counselor can help you work through this. 

I am now so petrified to let my dog go anywhere, especially on the street, and he's always on a leash. We walk him in our yard and when it's dark, i worry about bear or other wild animals so we stay close to the house.  I am so terribly sorry this happened to you and your little baby.

Several years ago, my 10 pound dog (Porter) was attacked on our property by a dog who was also at least 10x larger than him. (The dog still lives across the street and we never walk him near there.) Porter was on a leash and being walked on our property. I don't know how he survived. He had huge holes in him from the dog's grip because it would not let go. The dog bit my husband on the hand. and would not let go. Porter was in shock, shaking, bleeding, and petrified. it was a stroke of luck that our vet was at his office on his day off.  He was on his way to personal appointments and stayed to save Porter.  It shook me up, but his miraculous recovery saved me a lot of tears and heartache. I don't know how I would have managed if I lost him. He later developed an acute case of pancreatitis from the trauma, and is being managed with Rx food.

Please accept my condolences and know that I truly understand because I experienced a similar event, but luck was on our side. We reported this to the dog warden. It's a good idea to report it  when you are up to it. I didn't care this was my neighbor.  Without the dog warden being involved, that dog could attack another or a child.  This dog escaped their yard 2x before the dog warden arrived. It was terrifying. They had to build up their deck so the dog could not jump over it again. I still talk to the neighbor, but I never walk in that direction for fear of that dog. I only get my mail during daylight so I can see in case it ever gets loose. 

There are no more words that I can write to make it better for you.  I'm so sorry Quinn.

Parker's Mom 
(Parker tragically passed at a little over 6 yrs old, he was Porter's brother. I wasn't as lucky with Parker.)

Quote 0 0
Stacy7
Oh my goodness I’m so sorry you had to witness this and deeply sorry for your loss. I too had a baby who had gotten out of the house. I called to him and told him to come home right away. As he was crossing the street, a car came up over the hill and hit him. He was gone within 5 minutes, but I saw what was going to happen and there was nothing I could do in that instant to stop it. That was 16 years ago and even talking about it slows time down as was in that moment and I see it all over again. I felt such guilt that I was the one who told him to come home or that I didn’t just go get him. Our street wasn’t even a busy street, but the car was going way over the speed limit. I don’t know what to say except time really does help. I also had to recognize that it wasn’t my fault, it was just a collision course that came to pass. I know you will heal this in yourself, but unfortunately we all have to live through the horror and pain first. Rest if you can, go outside away from where it took place and take deep breaths and shower as often as you can. There is something about the earth outside and the water flowing over your body that is healing. My thoughts are with you and again, I’m so very sorry for your loss. Be blessed.
Quote 0 0
codysmum102
I can't even imagine. I am so sorry for you. I lost my Cody 3 weeks ago today. He had a brain tumor. The image that keeps replaying in my mind is when he had a seizure and we knew that the medicines he was taking weren't working anymore and that it was a sign the tumor had gotten too big. I thought we had more time. When I saw him shaking my heart sunk because I knew what we were going to have to do so he wouldn't suffer. My suffering is worth it knowing that he isn't anymore but my heart is broken and empty without him. The house is so empty and everything and everywhere I go reminds me of my sweet baby boy. I feel lost.😭
Julie 💔
"Grief only exists where love lived first."
--Franchesca Cox
Quote 0 0