calatta Show full post »
wolfshadoww
I said "WHAT?!" out loud as I was reading this.

Disgusting!

I am so glad you exposed them for doing this. I feel so sad for you and your family. Karma will catch up with these people.

R.I.P. Spider 7-16-10

You were very loved and will always, always be missed.
Quote 0 0
calatta
Well, It has been a week and a half since Sonja was murdered...every day has gotten less physically painful. I can actually eat now. I had a dream about her today when I took a nap. She was gone, but I saw her by my legs from the corner of my eye, and I was able to pick her up and hold her and hug her for a few minutes before she had to go...I didn't get to say goodbye to her in real life, so the dream felt like she came to say bye.  It was kind of bittersweet.

I miss her but I have accepted that she's gone and nothing can be done about it. The reporter that did the story emailed me a few days ago to tell me others had contacted him after seeing it. Apparently this is not the first time (recently) that they have killed people's pets by mistake. Maybe more will come out and help animals - maybe they will become a no-kill shelter? Right now they kill an average of 25 animals per week.
Quote 0 0
DebbieD
I'm so glad that you dreamt about her and had that feeling of being able to say goodbye. Several of us here (me included) have been hoping to somehow get that dream, but as I'm coming up on 16 weeks I don't think that's going to happen for me. But I've had some other signs and am grateful for that.

Sounds like the reporter might need to do a follow-up story to expose them further. Sometimes that's the only way to get any changes made. It was so brave of you to interview with him to tell your story. Sonja is certainly proud of your strength.
Quote 0 0
donnalee
So sadly, you are right, nothing can bring her back.  If a change can be brought about the way they do things there, I'm not saying it would be worth it, but at least, something good could come out of bad. 
I'm glad you are getting a tiny bit better each day.  You have been through a lot. 
Quote 0 0
Leigh
Oh, Carrie, I'm so sad and mad after reading your story and seeing the news video http://www.wvec.com/news/local/Virginia-Beach-woman-says-animal-control-killed--103662324.html

This place sounds like it should be closed.
You'd think there'd be a long check list of things to do that required every person involved to initialize every item before killing an animal.  For example: #1, CHECK FOR A CHIP, #2 CALL THE PHONE NUMBER.  DO NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE...TALK TO A REAL PERSON.  Jeez, this is a little life, for cryin' out loud!!!
I am so very sorry for your family's loss of Sonja and all of the media circus (even though they are helping) you're having to go through.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Leigh 
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
I am sickened at the thought of the ordeal you have been through and to find out that others have had the same thing happen is heartbreaking.  I hope and pray that something is done about it.    
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
calatta
Well, it seems like such a coincidence, but tonight I received a call from a lady who used to work at that shelter. She was outraged! She told me this has happened many times to pets. We talked for a long time and she asked me to speak at our next city council to be sure someone is held accountable, since the law was broken (she was held only 1 day instead of the 5 days mandated). She also told me to get proof of her being tested for rabies by requesting a FOIA (freedom of information act) and to ask to speak with the veterinarian that supposedly advised she be put to sleep.  She and other friends who are working to try to get things improved there think I should request the info; they really believe they are using the rabies thing to cover themselves, they think another cat was sent to be tested since my cat probably never was (as a coverup). She said she's seen it before. She also told me I should sue them...I'm going to go to the city council open mic and talk about it, and also let the reporter know.

She also gave me her contact at the Virginia Pilot newspaper that has done stories for her about the shelter before.

So, today was a good day. Sonja visited me in a dream (it felt so real holding her!!!) It was hard waking up and realizing it was just a dream...but I'm thankful, I really believe God let her come say goodbye for my sake! Call me crazy :)  I thought it was such a weird coincidence that later I get this call kind of nudging me to stay on top of this and not let it get swept away.  She begged me not to give up and to make sure peopel are held responsible.

It stirred up the emotions again but it does feel good knowing that I might be able to make a difference - and that my sweet Sonja didn't die in vain.
Quote 0 0
jen2010
Hi Calatta

l have thought about you a few times and wondered how you where doing , lm glad you came back to let us know .

By your actions you are helping  to make sure this doesnt happen to anyone else l admire you for that .

How wonderful you had a dream  of Sonja Jen xxx
Quote 0 0
TxGuy
Calatta,
I am just in shock and disbelief after reading this. I am new to the forum. I am praying for you and your family and pray that God gives you strength in the days ahead. I am so happy to hear that Sonja visited you in your dream. What a wonderful blessing! 
Quote 0 0