muzckl1
Found out this past week that my 15 year old female cat has an inoperable bladder tumor that is likely cancer.  She started having trouble passing urine and feces (lots of diarhhea), and licks herself profusely.  The vet told me there is some NSAID anti-inflammatory that would basically just prolong the inevitable, but could cause her to vomit and/or have kidney failure...she has already lost a lot of weight.  

So I've made the decision to put her to sleep on Monday.  But I just hope this is the right thing to do.  I keep thinking what if there is a cure?  Or what if this is false information?  I trust the vet, but what if he is wrong?  I don't have the money to spend thousands on tests and scans....and I'd never put her through chemo.  I am a breast cancer survivor...I went through chemo....and I would never want my child nor my pets to go through that hell!  

My kitty is very uncomfortable, but not in lots and lots of pain yet.  I don't want her to get to that point either.  Am I making the right decision?

Quote 0 0
Morganzola
Do you live near any animal hospitals or veterinary schools that might offer oncology services.  I recently lost a dog to bladder cancer, but medication gave me an extra 143 wonderful days with her.
Quote 0 0
muzckl1
What did the oncology services provide?  Did you put your dog on chemo?  I don't want my cat to go through chemo.  I had chemo....it's horrible.  Can't bear to watch a poor animal go through that.
Quote 0 0
Morganzola
The doctor at Angell in Boston gave us lots of information about different drugs that we could try, and yes, discussed chemo as well.  Since Morgan wasn't urinating (the cancer was blocking the urethra), we had to do emergency surgery to put in a catheter.  This enabled us to "remove" the urine from her bladder for her, until the meds kicked in.  After being on Piroxicam for 3 days, the inflammation went down enough so she could pee on her own.  I am not sure if your doctor is thinking about using Piroxicam on your baby or not, but it was a lifesaver for us.

Battling my own demons right now for putting her to sleep, knowing that we could have done more.  I know this is a question that will eat at me for years. 

Quote 0 0