Dakota13
It’s been close to 3 months that I had to make the horrible decision to put my 13 year old chocolate lab down. Every day I cry. Especially when small reminders of him pop up. I feel so guilty for having to make that dreaded choice. He should have been able to chose his own date of death. I’m going crazy. I miss him so much. Why can’t our pets live as long as we humans>.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade
Hi Dakota13,

I am so sorry for your loss and so sorry that you had to make that final, dreadful choice. Although it was merciful.

I broke down again too crying my eyes out this afternoon. Been 4 weeks yesterday since I chose to put my beloved cat Marmalade down. And I feel like I am completely losing my mind with overwhelming guilt, regret, remorse, grief & sorrow. It's the most devastating loss I have ever experienced in all of my years. Even more than close relatives and friends. And I am 57 years old (a male) so have lost a few people in my life.

This little enchanting animal stole my heart. He was my best friend, my son, my brother, my comrade in arms, my amigo, my only family, my company and my light. I am walking around in a daze. Trudging through the drudgery of life. When my time comes, the only reason why it will not be a complete relief is, I won't be able to remember him and look at photos and video's of him. : *** (

I wish that our pets could live as long as humans. I suppose some species do, but not dogs and cats. Seems very unfair as they are so amazing.

James
Quote 0 0
Dakota13
Thankyou James. I am sorry for your loss as well. I did go through a horrific tragedy of losing my 53 year old younger brother 3 years ago when a tree came crashing down on him killing him instantly. I stillgrieve those moments. I lost my aunt, brother and father in-law allwithin 8 months that year. Took me two years to get over the hard grievingperiod although I still have those moments. Butwith mydog it’s justas bad. If not worse. My doc wants me to go to grief therapy but I’m afraid people will think I’m crazy or they will tell me to get another dog. I’m not about to do that. Maybe a few years down the line. I can’t go through the knee replacement surgeries he went through within the last 4 years of his life. We refuse to bury his ashes also as they will be buried with us when we pass. I know he’s still around us as we hear him walking some nights or sneezing and coughing.
Quote 0 0
TheJackal300
I am sorry to hear about your furry friend. I had to make the same choice Friday for my little girl Willow. She fought as hard as she could and I am so proud of her, but there was nothing else to be done. She knows that and I believe your amazing boy does too. I wish our furry buddies could live as long as us also. As time goes by I hope those little reminders you speak of will become happy moments instead of sad for you and me.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Dakota, 

I thought I heard Marmalade Trill ( a combination of a purr and a meow) 3 times last night while I was trying to sleep. Once I thought I heard him meow and bolted upright. When I picked up his ashes from the Vet's I held them close to my heart the long walk home. It felt warm and loving to do so. There was an energy around them it seemed.

Group therapy for pet loss might be a good idea. I have been considering doing so too. Anything that helps. I am concerned this grief and guilt will be the death of me. And there is still some things I need to do in my life before it is over (I hope.)

James

Quote 0 0
KE
I'm so sorry for your loss. I feel all things you do. Sitting here crying missing my Ginger so much, it's hard to go on. Reading stories like yours do help. I know I'm not alone. I hope you find comfort too. I hope the pain goes away for all of us. My days are pretty tough right now. I'll pray for you and all of us who have lost our best friends 🙏
Quote 0 0