lpsmom
I know that I'm going to have to have my beloved kitty (age 13) put to sleep. I made the appointment for tomorrow, but I'm second guessing myself.

She has cancer - it originated in her nasal cavity and she now has a tumor in her mouth that is causing her pain. She is having some trouble eating and drinking, but is still able to do both.

She is unable to groom herself. 

This past Friday was a normal day for her - she acted like her normal self. The weekend was horrible, and she wanted nothing to do with me (very unlike her), and started hiding and having to be really coaxed to eat her food, and drinking only out of the toilet (which she has never done before). I made the decision last night to call today and make the appointment for tomorrow morning.

So I did. And then immediately she started being more interested in interacting with me. Came over for the first time in days and was purring and laying on me and happy.

I know that I'm going to have to do it, but how do I know it's the right time? On the one hand I'm glad I had today with her as a "last memory," and I know things are not right with her, even with today's "good" day. On the other hand I wonder if I'm cheating her and myself out of more good days together and rushing this because of the unknown. I feel tremendously guilty either way.
Quote 0 0
Lamont
You owe it to her to do the right thing by her. 
As much as it is a dreadful thing to even consider, it is 100% the right time to do the right thing.

My deepest sympathy for both of you.

If you can find a vet who does euthanasia in your home, you may want to consider it.

I recently put down my best friend, and if I could do it over again, I would spare her that last stressful trip to the vet.

Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
Kittypiller
With the health problems she is having I believe you are doing what is right for her. I had to make that heartbreaking decision back in december for my 4 1/2 year old kitty who also had cancer. I second guessed myself to and even though it broke my heart I know I did what was best for her and her quality of life. We love our fur babies so much that its hard to say goodby but we have to di what is best for them. I am here anytime you need or want to chat.
Quote 1 0
lpsmom
I appreciate your compassionate responses. I kept the appointment for last Wednesday, and my baby has been gone for a week today.

It hurts so much, and I'm still in disbelief, but it's better than wondering if she was suffering more than I realized. The vet said "you've done everything right" and that comforted me. I held her to the very last moment, and I have a picture of her sedated but still pressing her head against me. I'm relieved that I was able to help her to the rainbow bridge and stay with her until her last breath, and I hope my girl knew how much she was loved.

My love to you all who are suffering with these same feelings.
Quote 0 0