Lamont
...not there yet, but i have been thinking about maybe, sometime late tbis year, to start thinking about another pet. It wont be so much because of me, but there are just so many abandoned, homeless pets out there that deserve a family and a home. I am especially touched by the older ones, who by no fault of their own, after years of devotion to their daddy or mommy are left alone, living in some cage, hoping their special human will come back to take them home.

It just kills me to see their photos, looking bewildered, dejected, sad, or still hopeful that maybe they were just forgotten for a minute and that any second their daddy will come to take them home again.

I know there are extenuating or unfortunate circumstances that lead to these sad stories, but for the life of me, I would just do anything to avoid giving a pet, whom trusted me , to a shelter where they may not ever find another home.

10 million healthy pets are euthanized every year in the United States, because they have no one.
10 million.

When the time comes, I'll be glad to save one precious soul the sadness of dying alone.

L
Bertie's Daddy
Quote 0 0
Ginger4256
I honestly think that it's a beautiful idea. I know that eventually I will have to have another pet.
Boo' s mommy
Quote 0 0
JennyTeddy
You have such a beautiful spirit. Pets in shelters I wish I could save them all. It’s breaks my heart to know their mommies and daddy’s broke their promise to them and abandon them. I really don’t understand and I never will and refuse to understand why or more like how could you do that? I could never do that. I made a promise to Teddy that I would love and care for him and stand by his side from the very first day I got him. And I kept it. Senior pets and handicap special needs pets have a special place in my heart. 💛
If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Quote 1 0
CK1991
Dear Bertie's dad, I read your post and I feel the same when I see these abandoned pets. Their faces break my heart. When you say they are still hopeful that their daddy will come to take them home any minute, knowing they won't is just so sad!
I'm so very sorry for your loss but I have to say that I feel inspired by your post. I've been thinking off and on of getting another pet and I think taking an abandoned animal from a shelter would be my choice as well.
You are a kind person and I wish you well. I think that by saving one of these animals you will find happiness. Of course they will never be Bertie, but they will bring their own sweet personality and work their way into your heart as well. All the best!!
Hugs to you! CK
Quote 1 0
Snowfire
Me too. I've been taking care of my late moms and my babies until the last one now gone. I got a pup years ago to blend in and be a part of them as I knew the day would come when it would be just her and me left. Glad I did as does help to have each other.
We had indoor kitties outdoor too. Also dogs as we lived in the country. Most of our cats came from being dumped on us and they made some of the best pets. We also took in a friend's cat who her family left for the pound to come get her as our friend died. They only wanted her belongings but guess she wasn't one of them. They all sorely missed and not forgotten.
You know I was thinking how connected we all are in our lives for our fur babies who are a part of our family. Some may laugh but others get it. Animals are a special thing too and they know it. Wiser maybe than us. I'm trying to get to the point where when time and my dog allows another to enter our family as too lonely. She waits while I'm at work Alone now but she tries to be so good. Though she's the handful at times as stubborn and opinionated. I just tell her hey what would all the others think. She misses them so do I fiercely.
Problem is she only wants them and no other. Katia cannot understand they are not coming back which makes me cry harder at times. I let tears flow as does heal but try too to lighten mood for her sake. So every day a challenge.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
It's good to hear from you, Lamont. And I'm thankful your heart is healing and that when the time is right you desire to provide love and care for one of these dear creatures. Hope you stay encouraged!
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
Sil
Lamont,

Bless you.  Hoping that you were able to open your heart and your home to another pet.  I lost my beloved pet eleven months ago.  And, we decided to "open our hearts to another fur baby".  Her name is Maya (11 months, female German Shepperd).

Of course, my beloved pet Sol, will forever live in my heart. 

Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
Oh, Lamont --

This is wonderful news! Bertie will guide someone to you when the time is right. 

I'm so happy for you, that you feel you're making enough progress to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

I wish you continued healing now. 

xoxo
Susie
In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night. -- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

All tears are healing tears.  They help to wash away our sorrow and allow the first buds of happiness to blossom in our hearts. -- Susie "Squillions"

.T.J.'S RESIDENCY: http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm
.BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY: http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM
.KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY: http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm
A fresh start after 947 posts. March 7th, 2011. I've been coming to this wonderful site since April 6, 2004.
Quote 0 0
ForMitookie_03
Hi Lamont,

Glad to hear you may be ready for another pet.  I too have been perusing the shelter sites for another kitty.  Still not sure if I'm ready and seeing all those faces makes me cry.  I want to rescue all of them.  Maybe Mitookie will guide me to the one for me.  Keep us posted.

Take care!

Marina
Marina ~ Mitookie's Mom
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
Lamont....this is good news. It shows you are starting to heal more. I have been starting to think about it too. Not sure where I will get one, but life without a dog (for me) is just so dull. I am glad you are passionate about getting a shelter/rescue. Important work.
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Lamont, when my Rookie was sick, my Mom actually asked me if I would ever adopt again. From anyone else, I probably would've flipped out, but knowing my Mom's heart, I was okay. As broken as my heart is right now, I can honestly say I too will rescue again. I actually volunteer at an animal shelter and it saddens me to see so many dejected, homeless animals. I know it won't be so awhile, and I know I will feel super guilty, but I also have to believe my Rookie would want another dog to have a good home. When you're ready, good luck in your search.
Quote 0 0