jimmy17
Well Jim. this time 4 weeks ago you were still with us. Although you were 17 and had a few problems with your health, we thought you would still be with us for Christmas and into the New Year. Little did we know that you would take such a downturn during the night and we would be left with that awful decision. Looking back, it all seems surreal. that Sunday morning was spent on the phone trying to get you to to see a 24 hour vet, then a horrible journey in the car - I didn`t think you would even make it, but you did. You were such a little fighter, but this was one last battle that even you could not win. You were our best ever little friend - we had no children, but you were there giving us so much love and friendship, we were truly blessed when you came into our lives. Our house is so empty. our lives totally revolved around you and now there is just a huge hole that I don`t think can ever be filled. Please be happy over the Bridge, and wait until that day when we will come to you, you were our once in a lifetime dog, thank you for all the wonderful memories,for all the love and companionship you gave us. You truly were our sunshine on a rainy day. My dad will love and look after you Jim, until we meet again beautiful boy, your loving owners Jackie and Brian. xxx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Vegas2015
We too had to make that awful decision five weeks ago. Sixteen years together but forever in our hearts.
One day we all will meet them at the bridge, to walk together, forever.

Vegas's Mom
John & Renee
Quote 0 0
camunki
oooh i know how you feel Jackie & Brian, Your Jim 4 weeks ago, is still new, and yes, right around the holidays doesn't help much either.
I too had to put Munki down, she was almost 14 y/o........i thought for sure i'd have her around for Xmas, and her birthday on Jan 6th...neither happened, she took a downward spiral in a matter of days, and the dreaded had to be done.

I am sure your Jim is wagging his tail at the Bridge, being your guardian angel, waiting for the day to be reunited.

You are not alone........

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0
nancynancy
Jackie and Brian,
I am so terribly sorry about your loss of your precious family member. There are no words, and 4 weeks into to it, it is still terribly painful. I lost my boy of 16 years last 1/29, and I still cry every night.
A family member is just that, a family member, no matter how old or young they were the loss is devastating.
Hopefully, he is happy and safe now, running and wagging his tail once again until the day you are all re-united. But for now, he has good loving friends surrounding him and to play with, my Zaki and my Aja.
Hang in there.
Nancy, Zaki, and Aja
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thank you for all your lovely replies, it so helps being on here with genuine dog lovers who completely understand what the loss of a beloved dog means.  Some well meaning friends seem to think you only need a couple of days to get over the loss, or just go out and get another one. Jim, just like your dogs was so much loved by us -for 17 years it was the three of us, now its just us 2, and its going to take an awfully long time to get used to this. I`m so glad I found this site - it really is a lifeline. Jackie. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Bahoomba
We're all in this together. I'm in the same boat - lost our 15-year-old best friend eight days ago, and nothing is the same. The sense of loss can be unbearable at times.

Just be as strong as you can, and remember all the good stuff. I bet you'd agree with me - the good things our dogs did for us were worth everything we did for them 10 times over.

Stay with it. And thanks for sharing your story with us.
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thanks Bahoomba, I so agree with you, our dogs did so much for us than we did for them, Jim was certainly our pride and joy, for one small dog he had a huge heart and I was so proud of him. So sorry for your loss too, when they leave us they take a piece of us with them. Jackie. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
There is nothing I can add to what has already been said here.  The loss is just unbearable and anyone who thinks you can get over this loss quickly has never had a "special" pet loss.  I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I too know that we will see our Molly again, but in the meantime, it hurts.  Know that you are among people who understand and sympathize with what you are going through.  Here you are free to express your feelings and know that someone understands.
janice
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Janice, this is what is great about this site, you can say how you feel knowing that everyone who reads it genuinely sympathises. A couple of times when speaking with well meaning friends and colleagues you can almost see them back off and try to change the conversation. Sometimes I feel like I`m just putting on a brave face for them, when inside I feel like crying. But with the help of my husband, close family and this forum, I will get there in time. xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
deereay33
Im so sorry you lost lovely Jimmy. Its been 3 weeks since i lost jonah. With my house covered in photos of him i keep expecting him to come back from my mums house. He spent 3 days a week there if i was at work. I have to believe hes still with me just like jimmy is still with you. What an incredible age of 17. X
Dee
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Thanks Dee, your house sounds like ours, photos of Jim everywhere and I talk to them all the time just as if he`s still here. I still come into the room and expect to see him sitting on his favourite place on the sofa, then of course reality hits home and that horrible feeling in the pit of your stomach surfaces. I do think his spirit is still here, making sure we`re okay, 4 weeks later and I still smell him here - only for a few seconds - but definately him. I like to think of him and all the dogs on here like your Jonah all running free just waiting to be reunited with us one day. Jackie xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
AnneL
I found some comfort in this poem. I lost my beloved dog two days ago to cancer, and I feel totally lost. He was my Whole life. My baby..

A Pet's Prayer
If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then, you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
Only, stay with me to the end,
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time you will see,
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you,
Who decides this thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Smile, for we walked together,
for a little while

Quote 0 0
Vandome
First I would like to say " What a beautiful Poem Annel " very touching.  To J.Taylor and Annel I am extremely sorry for your loss and my heart goes out to both of you.  I lost my Cosmo on June 4th of this year from Kidney Disease.  He was an 8 year old Llaso Apso Male.  He was my entire world.  It was just me and him and he was my first dog ever whom I rescued 4 and a half years ago.  Every day is hard but it does seem to get just a SPECK better as days go by.  I know my boy would want me to go on and rescue another from hardship and when I am mentally ready I certainly will.  The loss of our babies is very hard and I can certainly say that my Cosmo's loss was comparable to losing my Mom in 1996.

I miss my boy so much in the physical sense buy every day I carry him in my heart and will forever till we meet.

God Bless you all
Quote 0 0
AnneL
I just came home from work, and it is just unbearable without him here. I just dont know how to survive this. 
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
Vandome, I know what you mean when you sat that when you are ready you will consider another dog. We had Jim from 4 months old, he was a rescue boy, and when the time is right for us we will certainly rescue another. I don`t know when that will be though, not while we are grieving so much, and Jim was such a special boy - so loving and gentle - I wouldn`t like to think we`d always be comparing another dog to him. Annel, what a beautiful poem, it sums up exactly what I`d like Jim to be thinking of us, we did stay with him until the end, stroking his beautiful face and holding his paws. I so know what you mean though in your 2nd post, I still wonder how I`m going to cope without him, the house is so empty, our routines have had to change, but as Vandome says, it is getting a little bit better each day, as it will for you. The first week or so is just full of despair, like a huge hole in your insides, I still cry every day, but not that uncontrollable grief. Try to take each day, or even each hour at a time, I promise you Annel it will get better, and this forum is the right place for you to on - it helped me so much. Jackie xx
J Taylor
Quote 0 0