kdamCOfam07
  Our family just adopted Apollo from a rescue 5 months ago.  He had been a homeless pup, incredibly friendly and was a perfect fit for our family of 5 kids and one loving but bossy boxer.  We left to go camping Friday night in Moab UT.  Yesterday morning we were hiking with our dogs and they became separated from us.  Our older female Selene came plodding back to us and I saw Apollo running toward me in the distance.  He was still young, only about 1 - he got excited when he heard me calling and tried running directly toward me, instead of the way he got to where he was.  I saw his happy little face running toward me over the hills, then he disappeared behind the hilly terrain.  I figured he was just navigating his way back to me.  He never came back...we started searching around the area I had last seen him and my husband insisted we walk up through a canyon to see where else he could have come around.  As we were walking through the canyon  we came around the corner and we saw his lifeless little body - my poor baby- he got confused and slipped off a 100 ft cliff to his death.   I feel so guilty for not protecting him more and letting him off leash.
Everyone who met him, loved him - we were just getting started making happy memories together and my heart is ripped apart with him being taken away so suddenly.  
Quote 0 0
gizmomybaby
Omg how tragic am so so sorry for the loss of your baby Apollo . I feel like crying reading your post I realy dont know what to say apart from its a horrendous pain . My boys away 10 weeks and it still crushes me . Plz know am thinking of you all sending love & hugs . Remember you rescued your boy and gave him happiness before he went to rainbow bridge , am so so sorry ❤ . Annemarie
Quote 0 0
Twilight
That is so sad!  My heart aches for you and for your entire family.  Try not to blame yourself . . . it was an unexpected and  tragic accident.  You were allowing your two dogs to run free for a while, thinking that it was a safe place for them to enjoy themselves.  How could you have known?  I'm glad that you rescued Apollo, and gave him love and happiness for the short time that you had him.  
Quote 0 0
cakes488
I'm sorry you are feeling guilty and wish I knew some magic words to take away your pain.  But of course I know that when you feel responsible for an animals death  there is really nothing that anyone can say.   What a terrible and awful freak accident....Key word there is ACCIDENT.    If you didn't love you wouldn't feel any guilt - I want to thank you for giving Apollo the best 5 months of his life...and if you are feeling guilty..I promise you that Apollo would forgive you...go ahead and ask him.  xoxoxo
Quote 0 0
kdamCOfam07
Thank you everyone for your kind words - I know many of us have been through similar unexpected turns of life...this is a wonderful site, with wonderful supportive people.  These little fur critters take up such a big part of our hearts <3 <3 <3  We buried Apollo in our backyard today and planted a Apple Blossom tree in top of his grave....just sitting by the little tree, with Selene and my husband I was able to find a little bit of peace and comfort...
Quote 1 0
Ollies_Grieving_Mama
That is such a sweet way to remember him forever.
Ollie's Grieving Mama
Quote 0 0