Forum

Author   Comment   Page 5 of 7     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   7   Next
catiebee

Reply with quote  #61 
Lori, I hope things are going well as Luna continues to settle into your family and find her place. It's got to be an adjustment for you all, but what an exciting time!  Hoping too that her presence is helping to soothe your heart. 
Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #62 
Hi Catie, it was so nice of you to check in with us. Luna is growing every day and tomorrow she will be 12 weeks old. She is a spunky little girl and learns new things each day. She has forced me out of bed each morning, for 2 walks each day and she loves everyone she meets which opens up conversations with so many new people. I know she is what I needed and she has wriggled her way into my heart.

How are you doing? I hope you are able to find some peaceful moments now and again. Holidays can be tough so please take good care if yourself.

Reply with quote  #63 
Lrogergs424,

So glad to hear that Luna "has wriggled her way into your heart"  - this is what puppies do - we have no defense against their puppyhood antics.  Sorry, I did not catch your question in the prior comments/posts re: "how do you do it?"...….. well, I just "love" them, and at night I put mine in a crate, as I don't trust them.... I swear, they wait until I'm fast asleep, to get together and cause havoc in the house.  At the moment, Maya is fifteen months and Lea will be seven months in three days.  We do not let them play unsupervised - as Maya is seventy two pounds and Lea is just twenty three pounds. 

It sounds like Luna is keeping you busy... getting you out bed - well, forcing you - and then going on walks.  My neighborhood is not as safe to go on walks, but, we are lucky that our house was built in a two-and-one-half-lot - so, Maya and Lea have enough space to walk and play.  And, right now, they are both digging for treasure.  
All this is very good and healing to our hearts.
Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #64 
Hi Sil, it is good yo hear that this is an adjustment for everyone. I just wish i could relax a little with her. I am just constantly watching, worrying and trying to make sure I am training her properly. I think i sleep with one ear open. Today she goes to the vet for her 12 week. I am hoping that she gets a clean bill of health and my anxiety can ease up a bit. I have a few concerns and I hope it is all just normal puppy behavior.

Reply with quote  #65 
Lrogers424,

After our loss, all this is a huge adjustment for us.  And, I completely relate with "I sleep with one ear open".  I am paranoid about all.... if Maya is rubbing one of her eyes, if Lea is drinking too much water or not enough, if Lea is whimpering, If Lea is not whimpering, why?.  As I posted before, I rescued Lea and in less than two weeks she came down with parvo.  What an ordeal!.  Lea is well now and thriving..... they both are,.... but, I worry, pray, worry. 

I'm thinking that you and I, are both suffering from sleep "deprivation"....on weekends, when my hubby is off work.....I catch up on all my lost sleep.

Let us know how Luna's puppy check up went.  Wishing you a peaceful weekend with Luna.
Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #66 
Hi Sil, thank you for your posr. I feel like I traded anxieties....Daisy's loss, the whole adoption process now finally worries over Luna. I worry I will not be successful in training her properly, if she plays too roughly...will she be a terror as an adult? Will she out grow the crazies that she gets in the evening? she does not like to snuggle with us...has she bonded properly? She pees a lot, or did she really pee at all...please let her not have what Daisy died of. She pants a lot...is she too hot? And the big one, will I love her as much as I loved Daisy. She still feels like a bit of a stranger to me.

Vet check up went well and they assure me everything is fine. I am looking forward to starting puppy classes with her once she has all her shots. It will be good for both us us to get outcand socialize more.

Oh, while potty training remains a work in progress, she has learned SIT, DOWN and SHAKE 😊

Reply with quote  #67 
Oops!  Lori, I thought I had made it back here to thank you for your wonderful post on my thread and to respond to you here. That was my intent. I so appreciate your kindness and lovely words--truly precious. I'm also very tickled each time you share an update about Luna.

I'm sorry you've been feeling so anxious as you and she find your way together. It's been almost 12 years since I had a puppy, but they do calm down as time goes on. Both my girls I've had were endowed with mischievous personalities, though, so I'm not sure I could ever let my guard completely down. 

You've taught her three commands? That's awesome! 😃

Sheesh, I don't know what your home is like, but I've never heard of a puppy who at first didn't think that carpet was made to squat on. Even if they were just outside in the grass.

I picture normal puppies panting a lot because they are little maniacs for awhile. 

I wouldn't worry about the not snuggling--and in saying this, I'm not suggesting she won't ever be a snuggler. But my Marissa was extremely loving but not in fact much of a snuggler. She liked to come up and be loved and then she wanted to be independent--to lay in her crate or on her bed. Never would she lay beside me on the couch. It just was not her way. 

Love grows. You and Luna are still getting to know each other. 

By no means am I trying to share any pat answers, only the little snippets that are traipsing through my mind. So, if not useful, just toss my thoughts aside and know I am thinking of you and wishing you comfort for your grief and a good experience as you assume pack leader role for Miss Luna. I'll bet she is a fiesty little cutie patootie these days. 

You are so right that the holiday season is tough. I'm especially dreading the month of December. We all keep breathing our way through things and moving forward bit by bit. 

Hoping your week is starting well. Hugs to you....

Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #68 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrogers424
Hi Catie,

Thank for your wonderful post.  It calms my heart to know that these are stages that Luna and I will work through together and come out as dear friends and companions like you and Marissa were.  I did not get to share puppyhood with Daisy, but I always wondered what she would have been like as a little one.  Now is my chance with Luna to get to experience each stage with their own achievements and frustrations. Even in your own grief, you have done much to waylay my fears and your advice and stories of Marissa are so precious to me.

Luna caught me off guard this morning by dancing around the same way Daisy did when I was making her breakfast--kind of like a baby goat hopping from her front feet to the back.  I would always say to Daisy "Gee, I wish I was that excited about breakfast each morning!!" It was the exact same dancing move, hopping back and forth and my husband and I each held our breath watching Luna.  Then when I put her dish down, we would always make Daisy sit and wait until we gave her the signal.  I told Luna to sit this morning and I'll be darned if she did not sit and wait patiently to be given the signal to eat.  It was uncanny. Maybe all dogs do that, but for us it was special

We will keep pushing through day by day and I hope you will too.  In time, I hope your broken heart will begin to mend.  Time does soften the pain, putting round edges on the jagged grief until it is something that we can hold comfortably.

Luna sized.jpg 

Reply with quote  #69 
Look at that face!! ❤️❤️❤️🐶

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MAX42339/Resident.htm
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BAILE490/Resident.htm

LUCYLULU

Reply with quote  #70 

Oh Lori~

Thank you for your post on Lucy's thread. Been missing a lot on the RB forum b/c of work. But I have read your wonderful story of Daisy...and now all about Luna. Both girls are so beautiful! You have your hands full with your energy pup Luna. So great!

If at all possible, enjoy this time of questioning, comparing (to Daisy), wondering, worrying. You will be OK. For all of the days when that wave of sadness-- of missing Daisy 'rolls in'-- please try and talk to Daisy. I truly believe that she helped to orchestrate little Luna coming into your home. I well understand the angst & sadness when we try to adopt again-- whether a rescue or a puppy. Our hearts are hurting so much it may sometimes feel like we just won't be able to bring another furry one home. But you've made it through the hard part. Luna is right there with you guys & Daisy is too. Daisy knows how much you miss her & love her. And she knows how much love you have to give to Luna.

If you have time, please read Lee's RB thread, 'Grieving for Hannah'. He helped me to realize that I can and will always love Lucy & Samantha. But there's enough love...left over...enough love to give to another baby. MJ writing about her Bailey in 'Remembering the Good Times' was & still is a huge help because she inspired me the to try again & to bring Daisy Clover home. There are so many other, wonderful threads written by kind and understanding people. 

Please keep coming here not only because we all understand the pain & hollow feelings. But because your story of Daisy & Luna can help someone else. It was so nice to read about your girls & to see their photos. Each day is different. You may get a sign from Daisy that brings a smile. Or you may feel sad thinking of her as you look out your kitchen window. I truly understand. But Daisy's right there with you...helping you navigate Luna's puppy times :-)

Sending big hugs,
Kasey

PS: I agree with everything Catiebee wrote. I do wish I worked on the crate more. Daisy cried so much, I caved. It's now her 'toy box' :-)
All puppies are different but it sounds like you are doing very well.

catiebee

Reply with quote  #71 
Oh my! Just look at adorable Luna! I love this photo...

I do hope the anxiety will start melting away for you, Lori. I'm so glad you're getting to walk through puppyhood with your Luna and to experience how she is learning, growing and becoming woven into your family and your hearts, starting as a tiny woofer.  

That is uncanny, the way she did just the same breakfast dance. Wow! And that she is already responding beautifully to your having her wait till you give her the go-ahead, to eat. It sounds like you have a very smart, little girl who very much wants to please. A tender little heart wearing fur.

She is a very pretty little girl. 😉

I do believe what you wrote, that in time those hard edges become rounder.  I'm so grateful for this and thank you for that reminder.  Hope you have a gentle day today. 

Sil

Reply with quote  #72 
Lrogers424,

Oh, what a precious adorable fur baby - Luna.  Looking at the sweet face, brings anyone a huge happy smile.  Thank you for sharing Luna with us. 
Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #73 
Hi kasey,thank so much for pointing me towards "Hannah's" thread. It is important for everyone on this forum that there is life and love after loss. I felt like I was in a cycle of grief and finding a way out was hard. Even when we brought Luna home, I thought I had made a huge mistake. There still are moments when my anxiety takes over and I question my sanity. But honestly, there is not much time for grief; got to get up and take care of Luna. Keeping focused on getting through each day has literally gotten me through each day!

As for signs, this morning Luna did Daisy's little breakfast "dance"; hopping about and even sitting patiently waiting me to "invite" her to eat. It was amazing and took my breath away. I had not taught Luna that so it felt like Daisy was there with her.

Luna sleeps in Daisy's crate...it is nice to see it filled with life again (and it helps to potty train!!!). I hope Luna feels Daisy near her. I know I do.

Reply with quote  #74 
I'm so thankful getting Luna has been a game-changer for you, at least in the sense of now needing to focus on her needs.  

I thought of you at this phase of Luna's puppyhood when I ran across this card about helpful character qualities. I'm sure you have an abundance of both. I hope today is a gentle day.

skunk dog patience wisdom.gif 

Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #75 
Hi Catie,

I LOVED the card.  We've had a good few days, no accidents and I even got up to my sewing room to do some quilting while Luna happily enjoyed a new chew treat. I had stopped sewing all together after Daisy died as I used to pull up a chair next to me so she could still be right beside me when I used my machine.  I just could not face it without her there.  I am sure you know the feeling, but it was good to get back to it, even just for 30 minutes (that's how long the treat lasted!!!)

Patience is definitely key when she stops to put EVERYTHING in her mouth while on our walks (really, rocks???) and the wisdom to know this phase will be fleeting.

I hope you are well today and wish you a peaceful today, tomorrow and everyday!

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.