Forum

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 7      Prev   1   2   3   4   5   6   Next   »
catiebee

Reply with quote  #31 
Hi Lori,

Thank you so much for your kind words to me about my loss. I just read through your thread. And I'm so sorry for your loss of precious Daisy and especially to that rotten illness. Just so hard!  Then, to have the shelter be deceptive about Pixie, leading to not being able to get her, must have felt so disheartening.  My heart is warmed, knowing you're heading to another event tomorrow with hopes to find a very special girl. I dearly hope something wonderful is in the works for you and that very very soon you can hold an adorable furball in your arms again. You deserve new joy and a lovely, new relationship. Though I haven't added a new one to my home yet, I look forward to doing so and I'm tickled to read about you pursuing a new pet. May things go smooth as silk this time! 

Stasia

Reply with quote  #32 
When Sylvester was gone I would do anything not to come home b/c it was a dark, depressing place all of a sudden. I have no children, not married, so I was truly all alone. When I was home, I would sit in the dark, in the silence and just cry until I cried myself to sleep. I couldn't stand it. 

I started feeling like I needed another pet but like you, I felt guilty. I told people this and they said "why? You know you are not replacing Sylvester and you will still grieve him, but another pet might help." I also feared that if I took in another pet too soon, I wouldn't be able to give them what I needed if I was still grieving but I underestimated the "after" and it was just too much. I hadn't been alone in 20 years.

I adopted Hudson 2 weeks later. Best thing I ever did. Hudson is not Sylvester but she is Hudson and despite my initial doubts, I love her just as much as I loved Sylvester. She helped me through my grief. She made my home a home again...a place I wanted be b/c she was there now.

And, I suspect that Mr. Sylvester had a little something to do with bringing Hudson and I together b/c he didn't want me to be alone. 

I don't think we need to feel guilty. Why not love as many lives as we can in our own lifetimes? I think our pets would us to share the love they received with another animal who needs it.

Reply with quote  #33 
Thank you Stasia for your kind words and advice.  I appreciate you telling me about your experience with Sylvester and Hudson. I am so happy that you were able to find happiness again and Hudson is lucky to have found such a devoted Mom! I also felt completely lost after Daisy's death.  I am married with 3 kids who are all young adults and I remember my mother telling me weeks before my youngest graduated from high school that the kids might be moving on but I still had my baby, Daisy.  Just two weeks after the graduation we were stunned by Daisy illness and a day later I held my girl for the last time as she died in my arms.  My youngest is now off at college, my middle son is also back at college and my oldest just moved out last month.  It was like that beautifully chaotic home that was overflowing with life became so still and quiet.  Tomorrow I will take your words "Why not love as many lives as we can in our own lifetimes?" with me and hope that Daisy, like Sylvester, is guiding me in the right direction.

Reply with quote  #34 
Another failure.  The adoption event was definitely not for us.  Way too many people, competition over certain dogs and too overwhelming for us.  I felt like we were at a meat auction, and I'm a vegetarian! I did get a lead on a private adoption of a young puppy.  Hoping, as always, that this time it will work.

Reply with quote  #35 
Lrogers424,

I truly agree with Stasia, "Why Not Love As Many Lives As We Can in Our Own Lifetimes?." -  this is just beautiful.  I believe that Mr. Sylvester "had" a paw in this also.

Hoping with all my heart that you find a fur baby to love again. 
KathyT

Reply with quote  #36 
Your next puppy will come when the time is right. I lost my little Sassy on 8-8 18 and when we went to the shelter 2 weeks after, I felt overwhelmed and depressed. We adopted Calvin who is a loving gentle 70 lbs Mastiff mix. He is my son’s dog and although I love him I have not gotten close to him. I have been struggling with depression. Friday my sister brought a little puppy she got from one of her coworkers. She asked me to keep her for the night and if I wanted her. I fell in love with her immediately. She is only 2 months old and she is like having a baby. She is spunky and although I think of my Sassy everyday and I will always love my Sassy, this puppy has made me laugh and playing with her has brought joy at this much needed time. I know you will find your next puppy. Blessings
catiebee

Reply with quote  #37 
Ohhhh. Lori, I'm so sorry this event didn't work out! At least, not while you were there.  That's so disappointing. And it sounds like the atmosphere was realllllly unpleasant! Nobody wants to have to jockey for position and to try to compete for a new pet! Goodness!

It would be wonderful, if the lead you received takes you straight to your new pupper. But if that isn't "the one," I hope just the right door will open for you very soon. It will be exciting for the right baby to become available and I dearly hope it won't be long.

I want to thank you for the very warm, understanding and meaningful post you wrote to me today. Your words, your own experience, your kindness and the timing were a huge help as I read it, and I so appreciate your writing to me. Especially, knowing you are in the throes of your own difficult and painful journey. 

Hugs to you, and I will be eager to hear how things come about with your search!

Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #38 
Thank you all for your support. After further contact with a private owner looking to place an 8 week puppy, we have made plans to meet at my vet on Tuesday. We will have the little one checked out completely and we may proceed with this private adoption. A puppy was never on my radar. I know how much work they are, but after so many failed attempts with rescues organizationsfor older dogs, I am willing to try this avenue. Though not a professional breeder, the owner has both mom and dad who are healthy and she is even bringing them with her when we meet the puppy.

KathyT, thank you for sharing your recent experience. Maybe we will be in the same puppy boat together! Any advice would be appreciated as it has been a long time since I have raised a puppy. Some puppy antics around my quiet house would be great right about now!

Reply with quote  #39 
Hi Lori, I’m sorry the adoption attempts have been made so difficult. I believe your Daisy must have something really special in store for you. When you finally find “the one” you will know why the others fell through. I truly believe that in my heart.

https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MAX42339/Resident.htm
https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BAILE490/Resident.htm

catiebee

Reply with quote  #40 
I'm heartened for you, Lori, reading this latest news. All of this sounds promising and I love that she is bringing all three to meet you at the vet. This sounds like such a good approach. I dearly hope this sweet baby will be "the one."  Lots of work, indeed, with a pup, but oh, the bliss!
Rookiesmama

Reply with quote  #41 
Thinking of you Lori and hoping for a great outcome!!
Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #42 
Daisy sized.jpg
I realized I have never posted a photo of my Daisy.  She was just the cutest curly top and always looked like a puppy.  She loved to curl up with her little legs stretched out.  It always made me laugh and smile to see her like this! Today is the day we may meet our new little girl but I don't want to ever forget my sweet, sweet Daisy.  I love you always my beloved curly-girl!

Reply with quote  #43 
Oh, she is too very precious. Just adorable, Lori! Thank you so much for sharing her with us.  And her pose is priceless, too!

I dearly hope everything went very well when you met the new baby.

Sil

Reply with quote  #44 
Lrogers424,

Your Daisy is just adorable.  Daisy will stay secured in her new home - inside your heart forever.  Do not worry, you will never forget Daisy.  As she has left her "pawprints"  imprinted in your heart, and your heart will never stop loving her. This is what these fur babies do - they imprint their pawprints in our heart forever.

Do not despair, a puppy/doggie will find its "way" to your heart.  
Lrogers424

Reply with quote  #45 
Thank you all for your advice, kindness and support. It has meant a lot to me over the last few weeks and help me get through the closing of one chapter and the opening of another. Though Daisy's story is still always with me, yesterday we began another when we welcome to home our new baby, Luna. She is an eight-week-old shihtzu mix and very sweet. Not going to lie, last night was rough, but this morning she is sleeping contentedly on her back paws up in my lap. Starting at the beginning is both exciting frightening and Sleepless. Any potty training or sleeping through the night advice would be much appreciated!! :-)

Attached Images
jpeg 20181023_185338.jpg (2.88 MB, 15 views)
jpeg 20181023_172528.jpg (3.38 MB, 14 views)

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.