MissingScooty
Well it took 20 months to get to the point of cracking my heart to let a dog in again. Here is Philbert (he came with the name Phil). We also call him that, and Philster. We looked at lots of rescues online...none interested me. There are so so many rescue organizations out there, it got overwhelming for me at times. We had at least one bad, crazy experience in person, which I won't recount here. Where we got Philbert is a wonderful organization that has been around for many years. Philbert was found as a stray, several states away from where I live. He was brought to the shelter I adopted him from to save him from being ...well..you know :(  He is likely beagle mix, and approximately a year to 18 months old. His right ear has and old tear in it...nearly ripped in half. Likely a dog fight from being a stray??? 

Here he is, his first night home with us...such a happy happy dog. We spent two visits with him at the shelter, taking him for walks, before deciding he seemed a good fit for us. IMG_2758(1).jpg 
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
MissingScooty
For anyone considering adopting again, please take your time. It does bring up the loss feelings again. I was surprised by this. However, much time has passed so it is getting a little easier for me, every day with this dog. Don't give up hope...the pain DOES lessen. I doubted it ever would. It was so so intense, for a long long time. I really did think it would kill me. But it did not, and I made it through. You will too.

We got Philbert on a Friday, and took him for walks around the lake Saturday and Sunday. My husband also took him Monday and Tuesday. It's a one-mile walk. Plus his other shorter walks before and after work. Other than "marking" a wall the first night he came in, there have been no "bathroom" accidents yet. The organization sent him home with eye and ear meds, as he is nearing the end (hopefully) of an ear infection, and eye that somehow got scratched and infected (shelter vet thinks he banged it against kennel). I know from my past at working at a vet, "floppy" or "folded down" ears have a tendency to get ear infections, so I need to learn how to clean out his ears regularly. Here he is with me at the lake...looking off at ducks nearby. IMG_2766.jpg 
Missing and loving Scooter Forever
- Melissa
Quote 0 0
CK1991
MissingScooty, Thanks for your post! I’ve been considering getting another dog or maybe 2 and it has been quite a while for me but you’re right it takes time. Thank you for the encouragement and good luck to you with your new dog. Seems he hasn’t had the easiest life so it’s very good to see him in a happy home now. Lovely photo! Bravo to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
catiebee
Oh, lookie there!! Hi, Philbert!! Welcome home, into Melissa and Craig's arms and hearts!

He is a handsome boy. 

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience first. But I'm so glad you persevered and found the one. I hope as you get to know him and bond with him, that he will bring you much joy, laughter and companionship. 

I hope his eys and ear heal quickly and that he'll continue to do well with pottying outside. It sounds like he's doing great!  He must love those lakeside walks and getting to see the ducks. He looks highly interested in them in the photo!

I hope you enjoy the stuffings out of him, Melissa!  I'm so very glad for your news!

Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0