Forum

Author   Comment  
lisarsmith

Reply with quote  #1 
First I would like to say sorry to Larry who I originally posted on his post. I am new to this site and was not sure how to use it. Second thank you to Gen for your kind words and advice.

My 6 year old Golden, Bunker, was just diagnosed with ALL Leukemia. Just 2 weeks ago he was a healthy fun loving friend. When he did not eat his food I knew something was up. ( He loves food.. any kind!!).  I figured he had maybe eaten something in the yard that made his tummy upset. I left for a business trip and when I returned I could tell he was not himself. Last Friday the day after I returned I took him to the vet.

We found out on Saturday about the cancer. Needless to say I am devastated. We lost our older Golden, max , not even a year ago. To find out my baby who is only 6 is not going to live much more than a couple of weeks is torture.  He is still young!

I have chosen not to do chemo , since I have heard that it will make them very ill and with this type of cancer will not really be effective. I want to make his last days as comfortable as possible . he is on Prednisone and is doing ok at this time.

Thank  you for letting me get it out. If anyone else has experience with ALL I would like to hear what I should expect in the next couple of weeks.
Lisa
Larry

Reply with quote  #2 
Lisa,Thank you for the kind words. I wish I could help you but I have no experience with the Leukemia. The vet put Hannah on Prednisone also for her Lymphoma it made her VERY thirsty and she urinated about every 30 minutes or so. It changed her some how,she was very hyper and would no longer sleep in bed with us after the first dosage. We were told we could get maybe up to six months if we were lucky but we only got three and I was glad to get that. Some days during this I thought the end was going to be that day and then the next thing you know she would be better for several days. I wish I could help. So very sorry you are going through this.
Larry
lisarsmith

Reply with quote  #3 
Thank you Larry.. and I am so very sorry for your loss. I was told that he may have good days and when the bad outweighs the good I would know it was time. I knew when it was time with my older dog. The day he stopped eating and would not get up at all. I find solace in that it was very peaceful and the vet came to my house so I would not have to take him in. Both of my babies did not like the doctor!!
I will take it day by day and enjoy every moment I have with him. I have been feeding him PAWS , little bits of steak  and lots of "cookies"! He is still enjoying that!!
I am thankful that my friend told me about this site. It is comforting to talk to others that have been through this and love their babies so much. I hope each day gets better for you as I know how hard it is. God Bless!
lisarsmith

Reply with quote  #4 
It is with such a heavy heart that we had to say goodbye to Bunker last night. We only found out he had luekemia a week ago and I feel so robbed. He went down so fast. His 6 years here were good but he had soooo much more to live.
I am devastated! coming home to an empty house has been horrible and I just can not bear the thought of him not being here.
My heart goes out to all who has lost a beloved one. This is the worse feeling ever.. I know that in time the grief will lessen but I also know that it never goes away. He is up there with my beloved Max and I know is happy.
lattejack

Reply with quote  #5 
I just lost my 7 year old Wiemaraner Latte on Sunday to Acute Leukemia which came out of nowhere.  Only 6 days before we were on a long walk having a wonderful day until she vomited that evening and stopped eating.  It took the Vet several days to diagnose, but once the labs came back the news was devastating.  By that time her liver functioning was failing and cancer had invaded her lungs.  We had no choice but to put her down.  How did this happen with no other signs until she was too ill?  We cannot make sense of what happened.  Please help us wrap our heads around this horrific loss and emptiness in our hearts 
lisarsmith

Reply with quote  #6 

LatteJack...

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Latte. It is such a terrible way to lose a pet. Bunkers also came out of nowhere and we were blindsided. 

I understand the sorrow you have especially since we, and I am sure you,  were not prepared at all for it. It would be so much more understandable had they been older and lived a full life. The fact that you were not ready for it makes it so much harder.  How can you  be when you lose them so fast? You can't even wrap your head around it.

It has been 2 months since we lost him and I still cry a lot! However it has gotten a little better with each day.  We went right out 2 weeks later and adopted a rescue dog and for me it was not the right time. He has helped us heal, however I feel that I was not finished grieving for Bunker.  Although I am not sure if any time is the right time. Only will you know when.

This site really helped me alot. Reading others posts and just getting my feelings out. After reading some of the other about cancer and going through chemo I am a peace that I never had to put him through that. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Larry

Reply with quote  #7 
lattejack,So sorry to hear about your loss.I wish I could make sense out of it myself. It was the same way with our Hannah(She would have been 6 today). We had taken her to the vet on a Sat. and she got a clean bill of health,one week later she had Lymphoma. Sometimes I just get mad as hell and want to know why is this evil disease is even here and why inflict it upon the most pure and loving creatures(Our pets). My only comfort in all this is that we gave her nothing but love all of her life and we got it back from her ten fold.It's been over 2 months and I badly miss her hugs and all the belly,belly. My wife says that she was an Angel sent down from heaven to check us out and it was time for her to go back and give her report. Sounds good to me.Just remember you are not alone, everyone here has lost an Angel in some way,just come on here and tell it like you feel it. It Helps.
And as stated above, you are also in my thoughts and prayers.
Larry
heartsick

Reply with quote  #8 
Dear Lattejack,
I am so very sorry for your loss.
If you come over to The Pet Loss Support Forum everyone there will be here for you. We all understand and we all are grieving our precious sweet babies.
Animals are very good at hiding illnesses. That is probably why you did not
discover it until it was so far along. We understand. I take my babies - even the puppies for check ups at least wice a year so if there ever may be anything we can catch it - of course I learned this the hard way. I lost the Love of my Life.
He was breathing normally and we curled up together to take a nap. Only I woke up from that nap. Was there something we could have found and treated if when he was twelve I began to take him every three months? I questioned myself until I thought I woud go crazy. On the other hand he had lost a bit of weight but they do that normally as they ae and he was nearly 14. I realized that making myself sick with the "what if's" was going to be no good for the puppies I have here. When you come and  post on the support forum you will see how many people will be here to support you.
We all care about you and we are all here for you.

Larry- I like the way your wif thinks about this. It somehow makes me feel some peace. Hannah is with Bear and they came here and they are still all right just in a different place reporting in as to how they were treated by us down here. That is such a lovely way to think of them. Thank you as that thought has brought me peace and I have deperately been seeking peace. Thank you and your wife.

Susan(heartsick)
ssg978

Reply with quote  #9 
Our sweet Remy, a Chihuahua-mix that we rescued at age 8 weeks, was diagnosed  with acute leukocystic leukemia last Monday, Aug. 20th. We started chemo right away as our vet said that this was so unusual for a puppy so young (less than 3 years old), chemo should work well.
Unfortunately, it quickly proved ineffectual and she past overnight, Monday-to-Tuesday. Our hearts are broken and tears flow so easily. Remy was our second love, for we had lost our beautiful "Goldie" over two years ago to lymphoma.
What have we done to our little friends? We have poisoned them with the same chemicals we have forced on ourselves. With the unquestioning love they give, only advanced age should lead them on their trip across the Rainbow Bridge. 
Thank you for providing a location to share our sorrows.
licdfjk

Reply with quote  #10 
Animals are very good at hiding illnesses. That is probably why you did not discover it until it was so far along. We understand. I take my babies - even the puppies for check ups at least wice a year so if there ever may be anything we can catch it - of course I learned this the hard way.

----------------------------------
WoW gold|Diablo 3 Gold

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.