Jallen507
Last night we lost our best friend, my best friend Franklin, 12 year old happy, loving Golden Retriever. I am at a pure loss for words as this was so unexpected. I much like all animal lovers, loved my dog more than life itself. For the past 12 years he’s brought me and my family so much joy and unconditional love, he completed a hole in my heart that now I feel like will never be replaced. This has been the hardest 12 hours of my life it seems impossible right now to ever get over this. We are mourning and it just seems so blurry right now, I hope and pray it will get better with time. He left with a piece of my heart that I don’t think I will ever replace. I love you Franklin, mommy loves you so much. Rest easy big man, until we meet again...
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Hi Jallen507,

I just wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. Franklin sounds like he was a great dog. It’s not easy to lose them, they’re our family and it can be very overwhelming. You’ve come to the right place, everyone here understands what you’re going through and feeling. Please feel free to express yourself and post as much as needed. Reading through other people’s experiences can help, it let’s us know we’re not alone with what we’re going through.

This is a difficult time to say the least, but I hope you’re able to find some comfort. Hang in there and take care.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0
Jallen507
Hi RileysMom, thank you so much for your kind words . I think as a pet Mom I always knew this day would come yet I never knew it would be so fast. We went in for a emergency visit last week because he could walk and he’s had knee problems almost his entire life. We attributed his unwillingness to walk to just really bad arthritis, and after an ER visit that’s what the vet told us most likely it was a flare up, put him on some anti inflammatory and sent us on his way. The last several days he’s dereriated quite a bit. For the first two days he was on the meds it seemed like he was getting better, things were a little brighter. Then two days ago it took a turn for the worst. Went back in to the vet and did ultrasound, bloodwork etc. to find out his white and red blood cel count was less than 12%. He had severe internal bleeding for what seems to be a ruptured tumor or cancer of some sort. He’s been in so much pain I just couldn’t stand to put him through that anymore, after talking to the vet the best decision was to put him to rest. I feel lost, I sometimes feel like I made the wrong decision and didn’t fight hard enough for my boy. I just can’t get past the way it all happened. He seemed perfectly healthy just a few weeks ago, and he truly wasn’t. I love him so much and just hope that I didn’t do him an injustice, I will never forgive myself.

Thanks for responding. This forum helps, it’s comforting knowing I’m not alone in this.
Quote 0 0
catiebee
I'm so sorry, Jallen. A sudden loss like your Franklin feels just devastating! I'm so sorry he became ill and declined so rapidly.

We all second guess ourselves when we have to put a beloved pet down. But it certainly sounds like you had no choice but to relieve his suffering. You relied on the expertise of your vet and they have a good sense of what can't be survived and of when it's time to let go, wretched as that is. It's the hardest decision, ever, and the most painful.  My heart hurts as I read your post, knowing how broken your heart is. I wish you comfort today, and for you to know you did all you could for your guy. All this is a terrible thing to have to go through. Be gentle with yourself, cry all you need to, write here, talk to friends. Whatever it takes to get through this sad time. It takes real time to recover. Thinking of you this morning.
Catie
-Missing Marissa deeply
Quote 0 0
RileysMom
Jallen507,

It’s so true how that seems to happen with dogs. One moment they seem fine, and the next, we’ve reached the desperate hour. It blows my mind how quickly that can happen. They really do keep keep quite a lot to themselves. Unfortunately, it usually means they’ve been dealing with something for quite some time, and it is only because they’ve reached that really bad point they finally let us know. I feel much the same with my girl, she put on a brave face and was just happy to be with her people. I didn’t know just how bad it was on the inside until it was too late.

With internal bleeding, and a ruptured tumor... Man... there is just not a lot of hope for recovery from that. I am so sorry. But, I don’t see how you could have done ANYTHING else. IF he had been able to recover from the internal bleeding, that ruptured tumor more than likely would have spread cancer cells all on his insides. The cancer would have gobbled him up and overtaken him from the inside out. I think you did the absolute best decision for him, as devastating as it was. For what it’s worth, I think you gave him the ultimate expression of love— that of letting go, sacrificing your own desire to keep on trying for him and letting him be at peace.

I am so truly sorry for you and Franklin. It’s a difficult and devastating thing to lose them like this. But I truly believe you did the best you could in the face of everything. My heart goes out to you. Hang in there and I hope some comfort finds you today.
Val
—Loving Riley, Rosy & Axl always 🐾

Quote 0 0