MAC1948

My cockatiel, cute stuff scruff 07-26-23.JPG  Scruffy passed away at 3:30 a.m. on Sunday January 11th. I was with him when he died. He was perched over my heart as I held him. It was a heartbreaking experience. But at the same time truly amazing. At the moment of his death a wonderful feeling of love and peace filled the entire room. For a few minutes I felt nothing but peace. A sense that everything was ok. I felt no pain -- and he was finally free from his pain. I continued to sit in my recliner and hold him for quite awhile -- somehow I just couldn't let him go. I had his body cremated on Monday. When it was over I took him to my favorite lake and sat with him watching the water.  During that time I wrote the following tribute to him:

For 14 years my beautiful little cockatiel, Scruffy was the light of my life, and I thank God for having placed this beautiful, magnificent feathered being in my care. But in truth, he got me through the worst time of my life by helping me to keep an open heart in the face of enormous tragedy. So perhaps it was I who was in his care.

His entertainingly funny antics always brought a smile to my heart. His undying curious and mischievous nature kept me on my toes. His beautiful voice filled our home with music. I love the way he would never give up on his quest to obtain something he wanted. There was no convincing him he couldn’t have it. His determination was beyond anything I’ve ever experienced. And his courage – well all throughout his illness he displayed an intense desire for life by overcoming whatever challenges were placed in his path.

Although it feels as if my heart is broken, I will continue to bring my focus back to the wonderful gifts he gave me; unconditional love, the meaning of true courage, the importance of being light hearted, how to open to joy, the knowledge that there is strength in vulnerability and most of all, his sharing with me the beauty and peace that comes at the moment of death.

I picture him now soaring with angels and perhaps even entertaining them by bopping up and down while he whistles his favorite song, the theme from the “Odd Couple”.   Rest in Peace My Little One. And always keep those angels smiling.

Quote 1 0
Bellamum
I am so sorry that you had to say goodbye to your sweet little Scruffy.  He is a beautiful bird.
I know the heartbreak that you are describing....we never, ever want to say goodbye. 
Like you, after saying goodbye to me gorgeous Bella, I try to focus on the gifts that I received from her.  She changed me for the better and I will be forever grateful that I was chosen to be her Mum.  While nothing can take away the huge feelings of loss that we feel every single day, those positive thoughts can help us cope.  We were so privileged....and we know it!
Keep your memories of Scruffy in your heart.  They are yours to keep forever.  I hope they bring you lots of smiles.
I wish you peace and healing.
Karen
(Bella, Charli and Buddy's very lucky mum)

My gorgeous girl, Bella  26/07/2004 - 03/04/2014
"You were once by our side, but you will be forever in our hearts. Until we meet again baby girl."
Quote 1 0
MAC1948
Karen ...
Thank you for your response to my post.  I miss my little Scruffy more and more each day. Today is an especially difficult day for me. Can't seem to get motivated to do anything. I know it's only been less than a week since his passing -- but it sometimes feels like I will never be ok.  I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful Bella.  
MaryAnn
Quote 0 0
Sunnycat
So sorry to hear about the loss of your beautiful bird. I have a normal gray male cockatiel - I know what you mean about their funny antics. I can usually get my boy to "wave" when I make kissy noises. He's going to turn 13 soon and I'm apprehensive about him aging. I hope I still have a few more years with him.
Love never dies.
Quote 0 0
Barbiegirl804
I just lost my parakeet yesterday she wasn’t even 4 years old to egg binding, we did everything we could to save her. The pain of this is unbearable 
 Christina lang
Quote 0 0
chilover
MaryAnn

I am so very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved Scruffy. Your post broke my heart. He was a beautiful bird and you clearly shared a wonderful life with one another. our pets bring us such a great amount of heartfelt joy and if is absolutely heartbreaking when they have to leave this world. I believe Cockatiles to be very intelligent birds. Your tribute to your beloved Scruffy was beautiful & I totally agree when you said there is strength in vulnerability. You are in my thoughts.

Karen
I feel like my little Chihuahua 'Daisy' changed me for the better too like you said  your beloved Bella did you...Since I lost her I have been determined to donate to animal charities in her name, in particular wildlife ones. It makes me think they are her relatives and by donating she will be helping. It is definitely good for the soul to help these beautiful sick helpless creatures...

God bless
Daisy's mummy
Angelina.

Quote 0 0