BorderCollieLover
Bob Rue passed away on Nov. 6, 2014. It's hard to believe that he's been gone for (5) years now. Who was Bob Rue? One of the biggest pet lovers that I've ever had the pleasure to have known. Bob absolutely loved his German Shepherd - Champ. They were meant to be together. It was a relationship that had Divine Intervention written all over it. Bob got Champ (as a puppy) in 1992 from a breeder in Allentown, NJ at The Windy Hills Kennel. I met Champ a few days later. He was a beautiful (Male) specimen with the typical black/grayish markings. German Shepherds tend to be very trainable and Champ was no exception. He learned all of the basic commands rapidly and proved to be a good walker.  Bob was so proud of his little baby Boy. Champ aged well through the years but did start to experience hip dysplasia when he turned (12). Throughout the next few years Champ's hips started to deteriorate. He had a hard time standing and used to sway to one side when walking. His affliction progressed to the point where he had to be lifted so he could stand. Bob hired a Vet Tech to help him move Champ from one position to another so the impending bed sores could be addressed. Bob's Vet recommended euthanasia. Bob asked my opinion, "Jim, what should I do?" I suggested to hold off on the euthanasia and see if, possibly, a natural solution might help. He agreed. Things like stem cell therapy, laser treatments, etc, were not in vogue back in 2007. Unfortunately, before Bob could seek a Naturopathic/Holistic  Vet's help - Champ passed away. He was (15). Bob was inconsolable. He called me (before he called his girlfriend) to tell me the bad news. I went over to his house and we wrapped Champ up in some blankets and took him over to Pet Meadows in Hamilton, NJ. Pet Meadows is a full service facility that offers burial, cremation and funeral viewing. Bob wanted to have a viewing for his beloved Champ. So, a few days later Bob, his girlfriend (Patty), me and  few others congregated at Pet Meadows to say goodbye to Champ. During the viewing Bob broke down several times and had to leave the room. It was pretty emotional. After a few years (about 2009) Bob made the decision to adopt another German Shepherd (Dutchess - Female). They were intertwined at the waist from Day #1. Dutchess died a few years later from a particularly aggressive form of Cancer (Sarcoma). What a sweetheart she was. Docile, highly intelligent and amenable to having another dog (Princess - small dog - willed to Bob when his Mother died) in the household. Undaunted by his prior losses, Bob did decide to let another German Shepherd into his heart. a few yers later (around 2012 or 2013). He adopted another dog (Cody). Bob was starting to have some of his own health problems at this point. He had gained a lot of weight, smoked (2) packs of cigarettes a day and refused to change his diet. We pleaded with him (me and Patty) to change his diet. He flat out refused. Several months later (this was 2014) Bob was in his back yard with Cody. He was talking to his next door neighbor (a police officer) - while puffing on a cigarette -  when all of a sudden Bob slumped to the ground. His neighbor hopped over the fence to administer CPR. Unfortunately he had probably died before he hit the ground. It was surmised that he had suffered a massive heart attack. Bob's dog was adopted by one his Cousins, so we knew he would have a good home. As I look back in retrospect, I can't help but think that the world had truly lost a wonderful person. Bob gave so selflessly to our Animal Counterparts. He loved his German Shepherds to the nth degree. Bob always liked to stop over my house to see Shelby (he came to see Shelby - not me). The world needs more people like him. He is missed.

Jim

Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Jim: Thank you for this lovely tribute to your friend, Bob Rue. You’re right: the world does need more people who love animals. I’m sorry for your loss. Hugs to you!
CK
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
CK:

Thanks so much for your thoughtful words. Bob loved his German Shepherds. The world really does need more people like him. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Sil
Jim,

Thank you for allowing us to know about your friend Bob and his great love for his German Shepherds and other fur babies.  The world does need more people like Bob.  But, please consider yourself one of "those people".  Even in your mourning for your sweet fur baby, you manage to post/write messages filled with so much compassion and empathy for other's pain.  Thank you.
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Sil:

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, my pain is still great as I mourn my little girl. She was such a stabilizing force in my life. I miss her dearly. Today marks (8) weeks since we were separated and the grief is still intense. I'm doing as many (positive) things as I can to help myself but it's still tough. I know that you understand. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0