Helen

I think you all know by now that Tinkle is the love of my life. I have written quite a few things about her in my posts, and elsewhere on this website, but have never told this amazing story to anyone other than my sister.

About 10 months ago I was going through a really bad time with my diabetes. My sugar levels were way out of control - somedays registering as high as 22 (should be 5-7). I was always falling to sleep during the day and poor Tinkle would wait patiently for me to wake up. One day, I awoke to her standing on my lap and literally throwing her paws into my chest. I was very groggy and felt as though I had been sleeping for hours, but the clock told me that I had been out of it for about an hour or so. It took me some time to rally and inside my mouth was hot and dry. I firmly believe that I had experienced a diabetic attack of some kind and she had realised that she needed to bring me around pronto. She had to work very hard as she was only around 6kg (approx 13lbs) and I'm not a small person by any means. Without being melodramatic, I think it's pretty safe to say that I may not be here today if it had not been for my darling baby girl.

Tinkle's Mummy

Tinkle's photo is in the avatar

Please visit Tinkle at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TINKL001/resident.htm

For all the joy you've given me,
For the glory days gone by,
My best and final gift, my baby,
I give you wings to fly.
Quote 0 0
heartsick

Helen,

How lucky and blessed you are in having Tinkle in your life.

The LOVE and soul bond between you is obvious.

I am glad she was there for you and still is as Tinkle LOVES you as you LOVE Tinkle.

AND LOVE NEVER DIES.

Love,

Susan

Quote 0 0
Jimbo106
That is an awesome story! Tinkle knew she had a great Mom and wasn't going to let you go. A heart-warming story I needed to hear tonight.

Jim
Quote 0 0
dj

Helen, how awesome that you got to share your life with this extraordinary dog. It is an amazing story of love. Thank you for sharing it and reminding me of the great capacity our animals have to love us.

Quote 0 0
Helen

Thank you for your lovely comments about Tinkle and myself. She was a very special little puppy who lived for me. She had a huge personality and was very energetic and loving. The only time she ever showed any disapproval of me was when I left her with daddy while I went to Melbourne to visit my daughter. I was away for three weeks and when I came home Tinkle gave me the 'cold shoulder' because I had left her behind. When I walked in the door she wagged her tail but did not make the usual fuss, then simply jumped up on the bed to lie with her daddy. I was pretty disappointed as I had looked so forward to a special reunion with heaps of hugs and puppy kisses. Instead all I got was one of her 'pinged off' looks as she turned her back on me. About 30 minutes later she forgave me and we had the reunion I was looking forward to.

She was a funny little thing - a creature of habit who loved routine and learned very quickly. I suspect my laid back attitude got on her nerves sometimes. Still we loved each other and life without her is so hard. She worried about me and if I sneezed I had to say "bless me" before she would go about what she was doing otherwise she would jump up on my lap and sniff my face or just stare at me until she knew I was okay. She would check Ray over everyday, too, when he came home off the farm just to make sure the pineapples hadn't scratched his arms or legs. If she saw an injury she would want to tend it so we nicknamed her 'Nurse Tinkle'.

We miss her terribly and it is only now that I can begin to write about the good times and the funny things she did. Even as I write tears stream down my face. I can't talk about her in that way yet as I dissolve into tears too easily. Still the happy memories are starting to come and I am grateful for that much. Somehow thinking about the good times makes me miss her even more - if that's possible. God bless you all, Helen.

Tinkle's Mummy

Please visit Tinkle at:

I give you wings to fly.
Quote 0 0
Helen

I was giving my husband a haircut with the electric clippers today out in our garden near Tinkle's grave, when we both started talking about Tinkle in a way that we have not been able to ever since we lost her 4 months ago. We had a little chuckle at how she would run and hide thinking she might be next to get her hair clipped. We talked about the time she ran away in a thunderstorm and how we desperately searched for her in the pouring rain but didn't find her until the next morning. I was out of mind with worry and grief. And when we did eventually find her she had to be bathed three times before we could get all the mud out of her long coat. She ate more heartily that day than she had ever done before, or after, and slept so soundly that night that we were scared to touch her in the morning in case she had passed away while we were sleeping. Funny to talk about this now - but terrible back then. We talked about how fussy she was with her food and how many chicken legs we ate so that she could have the cartlige - her favourite food. We talked about how she loved to run like the wind and how, after her shower, she would tear around the garden - her hair flying in the wind with her ears pressed firmly against her head as she ran. Nothing could catch her. Other dogs tried and failed. Her favourite game was to run towards me and at the last second change course and run past me leaving me wondering where she had disappeared to. If she could have laughed she would have been in fits playing this trick on her mummy. She was a happy little soul.

The big breakthrough for today is that we talked about our baby and for the first time joy was mixed with the usual sadness. My eyes were damp but I did not break down. In a way I feel guilty that I can talk about her without tears. I just hope she doesn't think her mummy doesn't love her anymore. We miss her terribly and always will.

Tinkle's Mummy

Please visit Tinkle at:

I give you wings to fly.
Quote 0 0
julieandfurbabies
My eyes are all wet..... :-(
After reading your touching story...Tinkle was and still is one special girl. What a beauty she was xx

Love Julie x
Quote 0 0
Helen

Thanks Julie. You are so kind xx

Tinkle's Mummy

Please visit Tinkle at:

I give you wings to fly.
Quote 0 0
GingersMommie
Wow!  What an amazing story about the diabetic attack!  It brings chills to think she was such a very smart little girl.  She was not going to let her Mommie go!
I laughted over the funny little things that Tinkle did. What a character! Ginger did some of those same things.   I know you had so much fun with her and she had fun with you.  A wonderful precious little soul she is.  (I will not say "was".  She still "is".)   How blessed she is, as well, to have such a wonderful Mommie who loves her the way you do.
I know that feeling when you can finally talk about her without breaking down.  I've only experienced it a few brief times, but it does feel good to enjoy the sweet memories.  May you have more and more of those times.
Hugs.
Joyce
Quote 0 0
heartsick

Helen you don't have to cry to prove that you LOVE Tinkle. She know and we know. I laugh over some of the things Bear did now too. I will miss him everyday of my life but when Bear was here he laughed with me when we played hide and seek and so when I think about it I chuckle to myself now. It ia perfectly all right to laugh. I am glad that you and your husband were able to laugh together about happy memories. Tinkle is probably laughing with you.

My Love to You.

Susan

Quote 0 0
WRUTH03

Animals do such funny things and it is these things we look back on when we lose them.  I think back to one cold winters day some years back.  I went down to my pony's field to feed him.  Zorrick was at his gate and crowded around the gate was a group of some twenty people.  As I got closer I could here them talking and I realised they were all American.  They were taking photographs and Zorrick was performing for them as he did love an audience.  I was wearing a bobble hat that my mum had knitted for me.  Zorrick came to the gate and while I was lifting his bucket of food over the gate Zorrick grabbed my hat off my head and proceeded to trot around waving the hat from his mouth.  Needless to say the group of tourists were laughing at his performance and snapping photos.  One of them said to me he couldn't wait to tell the folks back home about him.  As you can tell Zorrick had a real sense of humour and loved to show off for people.  It is these things I think about now he is gone.  It is for these reasons I will never forget him.  He was one in a billion as far as I am concerned. 

Quote 0 0
Helen

What a comical horse dear Zorrick was. I wish I had known him. He will be entertaining all the babies at Rainbow Bridge with his tricks. Tinkle will be laughing at his antics that's for sure.

You're right Susan she would have been laughing along with us as we talked about the funny things she did throughout her life.

Yes, Joyce, she was a real character and she had a mischevious sense of humour. She was tiny with a huge personality, like your baby Ginger, and she lived for me. Now I'm living for her and telling her story to you all.

Today I have a sad memory that I need to share and it happened on the day Tinkle died. After I arrived home from the vets, about two hours after she had passed, I picked up her bed to cuddle it and concealed under her precious little pillow was an assortment of halfeaten and uneaten treats from what must have been a collection from up to two days earlier. The poor little mite had hidden her inability to eat, even her treats, from me so that I wouldn't worry about her. For the last days of her life, she had seen me cry from worry and desperation when her meals had gone uneaten or had been merely nibbled at. Finding these treats broke my heart and I cried uncontrollably. I had given her these treats so I could give her the meds she needed to survive. Thinking she had eaten her treats I administered her pills - at least one was not supposed to be given on an empty stomach. I am crying now thinking how they must have upset her poor little stomach and added to her already severe discomfort. But I didn't know ... how do I get past this? I loved her so much and would have done anything to spare her any further hurt.

Tinkle's Mummy

Please visit Tinkle at:

I give you wings to fly.
Quote 0 0
heartsick

Helen look how much she LOVES you too. She LOVES you so very much that she hid all of this from you so YOU would not be upset. She loves you dearly as you love her. She wanted you not to know what she was doing so you would not cry.

They are so smart that way. And your baby girl LOVES you very much!!

My Love to You My Friend,

Susan

Quote 0 0
Helen

Yesterday as I was driving home from town (we live on a 500 acre property in the Australian countryside) I saw a couple of kangaroos hopping across the field and I immediately thought of Tinkle and how she loved to chase kangaroos across the golf course near our holiday cabin at Baffle Creek. Tinkle never considered that the kangaroos she loved to chase were huge compared to herself and, if they felt like it, could knock her out with one swish of their powerful tails. She was totally fascinated by anything that hopped.

Grasshoppers were another of her favourite play things. She didn't bite them or anything naughty like that, she simply loved to pounce at them to make them hop. I remember planting a variety of double petunias in my garden at one time, and the sticky nature of the plants attracted hundreds of tiny grasshoppers. It was so funny watching her pouncing away in the garden with these little grasshoppers jumping every which way as they skillfully escaped her tiny pouncing paws. To her the object of the game was to make them hop - not to kill them.

If I close my eyes I can still see her pouncing in my garden and running like the wind after the kangaroos.

I wonder if there are any kangaroos or grasshoppers at Rainbow Bridge. If so, I bet the poor things haven't had a minutes peace since my baby girl arrived.

God bless you all, Helen (Tinkle's Mummy). 

Tinkle's Mummy

Please visit Tinkle at:

I give you wings to fly.
Quote 0 0
dj
Helen, Tinkle sure did love you! I'm sorry for your discovery of the treats and food, but he obviously did not want to make you upset. How special that is!

I smiled when I read about the kangaroos and grasshoppers :) What a character. I'm smiling too, because both you and your husband have reached another stage in your grief beyond the initial one. That is so great...you both have much more joy to share with each other about Tinkle in the coming months and years. So wonderful...

Can't wait to hear more stories in the future. I'm thinking of you both, and do please enjoy the fact that funny stories are bubbling up about him that you were unable to share until now. We are also the lucky recipients of this 'new' stage of grief, odd as it sounds, by getting to hear the special moments of Tinkle's life. I really do understand about the lack of tears and the guilt...I'm going through that too, and I know it feels like a betrayal to Tinkle, but it's not. There are just different seasons of grief, but the love bever dies. I'm sure Tinkle knows that too.

Please take care of yourself, Helen. You have been such a help to all of us on this forum that seeing you progress in your pain is especially gratifying.

Quote 0 0