smitamohanty
My Chloe was 14 years and 7 months old. I adopted her from animal shelter when she was 1.5 years old. My most loyal friend, and my companion for over 13 years now. She slowed down a bit, had some problems with her hind legs but she could walk with me for miles still although very slowly in the last couple of weeks. My vet said old age and arthritis. I thought old age. But I found out on May 2, 2020 that she had advanced stage lung cancer which did spread to her kidney and brain from the hospital where I took her that day. She passed away at 5:02 am on May 3, 2020. I brought her home from the hospital on May 2, 2020 at 5 pm. I fed her. She was breathing through mouth but settled down to heavy breathing through nose when I went to sleep at 1 am. I woke up at 5pm to check on her. She did wet her bed but was trying to get up. By the time I turned on the light she was standing on her legs on her own pretty quickly without my help although she could not lift her head the previous night.
I thought she wanted to go out since she was very particular about it. I said I will help you to go outside and picked her up by placing my hands under her front legs and lifting her up so her hind legs are on the ground. She started breathing through mouth again. When I placed her outside, she fell down to ground. I panicked and brought her inside again. She took two deep breath and passed away very quickly.

I regret for taking her outside. I keep thinking that I caused her death by my action. May be if I would have left her standing inside the house and talked to her, hugged her, given her water and food, may be she would have been here still. May be she would have stayed a bit longer. I was hurting to see her struggle to breathe but I was not prepared to lose her either. Did I cause her death by taking her outside? 
Please let me know.
Thank you,

Smita
Quote 0 0
Amararata
I'm so sorry for your loss Smita. I understand as I recently lost my dog as well and still in extreme pain about it. I'm wondering though how the advanced stage lung cancer was diagnosed? Dogs aren't smokers so I'm wondering how this could even occur- apologies as I'm rather curious about this and don't mean to be insensitive. Did the vet perform a CT or MRI? How did the vet know it spread to her kidney and brain?

I don't think you caused her death by taking her outside as she was already very close to passing away. I think you did your best under the circumstances and you were with her until the end. A holistic vet I've been talking to told me that when pets suddenly wet the bed or excrete feces where there usually don't, they're nearing the end of their life. I didn't realize it because an hour before my dog passed away, she lost control of her bowels and pooped on my bed whereas she would never have done that. I just pray that I will meet my dog again and that next time I'll be a better mommy for her and pay close attention to her health. 
Quote 0 0
smitamohanty
Dear Amararata,

Thank you very much for your kind reply. I sincerely appreciate it. Chloe was having issues with her hind legs and was doing poo while walking and not sitting down since January of 2020. My regular vet said old age. On Sunday, April 26, 2020, I gave her a bath around 4 pm when temperature was 81 oF.  But 10 minutes after her bath, Chloe has seizure and lay down on her side still with eyes still but opened. I was right by her. I kept calling her name but no response. I took all her favorite food and treats and tried to feed her but teeth were tight. I panicked so much that I just put the collar around her and tried to lift her with the lease. Miracle or what but she got up from completely still and unresponsive position to walking inside the home and sat and ate all the food I had. All were fine except she was tired and was panting always even when inside home resting. On Thursday, she went outside with me and could not get up after her poop. she sat on her poop. I had to life her up and then she started walking and we came back home right away. Rest of the day she didn't want to eat but did eat from my hand when I hold the food to her mouth. On Friday (May 1, 2020), she stopped eating completely and would not eat from my hand either. I took to my vet. He did blood work and told me that her kidney is not working from some elevated chemicals in her blood. He gave me prednisone (steroid) and asked me to buy from him the Dr. Hill's kidney care prescription food which I did. I forced feed Chloe that night. Chloe started breathing or rather wheezing Friday night scaring me to death. I took her to ER on Saturday morning to a very good Vet Hospital.
They did blood work again and they did X-ray of her chest. They found a big nodule in her lungs that had metastasized to other parts of her body from the X-ray. They said the kidney issue is from cancer and that her hind legs issue and not getting up after poop is from neurological issue from cancer in the brain. I agree with them completely. Chloe's issue was not kidney malfunction but cancer metastasis to kidney and brain. They would have done MRI to see her brain if we would have gone for chemotherapy but Chloe was not at that stage for chemotherapy. She was too old and her cancer was too advanced. Chloe has never been exposed to smoking. But she always likes to eat grass no matter how much does she eat at home. If we go on walk or I let her loose in my backyard or outside large green patches in my neighborhood, she eats grass. I think weed killer or other treatment to grass could be the cause. This is my guess. But my friend's little Yorkie also had very similar problem and died of cancer with difficult breathing. He always stayed home since my friend lived in the city and in an apartment. I have read that dogs get cancer more often than humans. Some dogs are genetically susceptible.  
Chloe otherwise lived a very healthy life and quite fit for her age. I never spent a penny on her health except the routine annual examination and shots. She walked couple of miles with me until a day before she passed away. Outward, she looked normal and fit. All her issues were inside her body that I could not see and didn't know until one day before her passing. If I had known her condition earlier, I would have rested her more and not take her for long walks. She was slow and was panting a lot when we walked but I thought that is because of old age.  I would have rather stayed home and spend time with her in a different way instead of putting pressure on her cancer infested lungs. I have all these regrets.
Best regards,
Smita
Quote 0 0