Mistysmama

It doesn't matter if you can write beautifully or not. Let's just bring our dear ones alive in our hearts and for others to "see" them again, by descriptions of their characters.

I'll start it off...

My Misty was an amazing  girl. She seemed to arrive on this Earth fully-trained ! No-one had EVER trained her before I rescued her. She'd been a street dog kind of living with drugs people. I think she trained herself!

She was incredibly obedient and no trouble at all to live with. She didn't race away too far if I let her off-leash. She'd chase off after something then before she lost sight of me, wheel round again and come back, grinning.

She was kind to me and full of love.

She was greedy too. Loved food. If I'd let her eat as much as she could have done, she would have been a walking blimp.

She took over the bed. Many a time I had to slide her back into position, so I had a place to put my legs. Many a time I woke up with my legs hanging out of bed.

She loved to meet other dogs and people, and made a friendly squeaking sound when she met any strange dogs, but always held her tail high, as if to signal she was an alpha. A very kind and gracious one, but an alpha female nevertheless. No dog took offense at that as she did it with a beautiful charm.

There are a million sweet  memories I could honour her with but I have to stop somewhere now, and let other folks talk about their loved ones.

Let's remember them at holiday time. And send out our love to them.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

Thank You for the beautiful tribute to your beloved Misty. You two were meant to be together. It was aligned in the stars. Destiny cast a beacon of light your way - and she was named Misty. I was not aware that Misty had been on the streets. I think it was her alpha mindset that helped her survive before you rescued her. A dog of lesser character (submissive and a follower) probably wouldn't have made it - especially if drug people were her constant companions. You let her into your liife and she blossomed into a wonderful partner, confidante and forever friend. It was  a relationship that had divine intervention written all over it. Hollywood could not have scripted it better. This was genuine, visceral love that permeated your very Soul. Misty stole your heart and never gave it back. She was a once in a lifetime dog. You two were inextricably linked and will be so in perpetuity.

I have a wonderful memory of my 1st Christmas with Shelby that I will be sharing with you real soon (before XMAS). 

Sending Warmest Regards and Hugs your way,

Jim

Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

My 1st Christmas with Shelby was 2002. She had just turned (1) year old a few months ago. A traditional XMAS with a tree, lights and stockings hung on the upstairs railing was not to be. This was going to be an unconventional celebration. I was all too familiar with that unbridled Border Collie energy and knew that I needed the proper outlet to burn off some that vivacity. It was then that I decided that we would take a ride to The Delaware Water Gap in northern New Jersey. We could take a hike on the Appalachian Trail that extended a few miles or so up to Sunfish Pond. It would be perfect. I had been to the DWG many times before when I had my other Border Collie (Puma). She used to swim in the Delaware River and entertain everyone with her antics. There was a light, steady rain as we navigated Rt. 206 in transit to North Jersey. I wasn't too concerned as the weather forecast had called for rain but with the chance of clearing as the day progressed. Unfortunately that light rain morphed into a hard, pelting downpour. That coupled with Wintry temps made the Appalachian Trail a veritable mudslide. It was just terrible. As I surveyed the situation from the parking area, I knew that a hike on the trail was not going to happen. I looked over at Shelby and she was surprisingly calm. I let her out of the car  so she could relieve herself and my girl was soaked immediately. I let back in and dried her off with a towel. It was time to head back home. On the way out of the rest stop parking area at DWG, I spotted a herd of deer that had crossed over onto the path entrance way. Shelby saw them too. She immediately put her front paws on the dashboard and let out a loud growl. Her canine incisors were being flashed too as a warning to the deer that they had invaded her comfort zone. I looked over at Shelby and thought to myself how much I loved this dog. She was in her element doing the Border Collie alpha, herding, domination factor of other species thing. I knew that I had the perfect dog for me. We headed back home (it was early afternoon then) and spent the rest of XMAS day playing in the back yard. Shelby didn't seem to mind the rain. She just wanted to play frisbee and hang out with me. When we finished her play session in the yard we were both soaked. Really wet. We went inside where I dried her (and me) off with towels. We ate a late lunch and settled in for some movie watching. It was a wonderful day in spite of the rain and cold. My 1st Christmas with Shelby was very much a huge success. I would not have traded it for anything in the world- even with the rain.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Thank you so much Jim, for sharing Shelby's first Christmas !

That sounds like the ideal day out for her. It's a pity the trail ended up so muddy so you couldn't walk. I have never seen the Appalachian Trail, but am fascinated with it and read up anything I can about it.
It would have been a wonderful Christmas hike.
But that didn't matter. Shelby didn't mind what you two ended up doing, so long as you were riding along together for an adventure.

She would have just LOVED to have jumped out and start herding those deer! Was that the first time she'd ever seen deer? If so, she might have wondered what all those animals were doing outside the car.

But nice to come home...play frisbee....get wet...some good food and a movie. What a happy Christmas.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Quote 0 0
Aelphaba
Jim

Amazingly enough my little chiuahuah Paul Martin loved to play frisbee too!! It was hilarious watching him try his hardest to make it all the way back to me with the frisbee. He would get tired and frustrated some times and he would drop it. Then bite it as hard as he could and growl in frustration. U couldnt even say the word around him without him going crazy. Such a cute little frisbee dog. I miss him so much. It hasn't even been two weeks yet. It will be this Tuesday. Thank u for your sweet story about ur girl. My boy was rescued also from drug and street people. It took him a long time like 3 years for him to stop having what I called episodes. I think they were flashbacks from being punished. He would have them if he had an accident or sometimes for no reason at all. Anyway I hope u have a great Xmas and thank u for the kind words u have written to me.
Quote 0 0
Aelphaba
Paul Martin resting on his turtle...his favorite stuffed animal.
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Dear Aelphaba,
Your little Chihuahua, Paul Martin has so much in common with both my Misty and Shelby! How interesting.

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a lovely fun little fella.

But it must have been funny to watch him playing frisbee, bless him.
I am sorry also that he had history on the streets. When my Misty came to me at first she seemed well balanced but was utterly obsessed with food (I am sure her feeding times were very very random, and often missed), and would cringe if anyone ever said the "F" word. She refused to bark also. If ever she did bark, when excited (usually in a frisbee game) she would cringe straight away.
Gradually I showed her it was okay to bark. She did it sparingly.  But she learned it was okay to be a dog again. But the F word was forever banned from our house, and has been since, in her honour.

They do carry the scars from such a hard life on the streets with people who partially do love them, but who can hardly provide a balanced life for themselves, never mind a dog, most of the time.

Blessings to little Paul Martin.

Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Aelphaba: 

Thanks for the great story on Paul Martin. Yes, it is amazing how our furry friends become attached - almost obsessed - with inanimate objects like frisbees. I can understand Paul Martin's frustration with his frisbee if things didn't go as planned. Shelby was so focused on her frisbee playing that if - God forbid - her beloved projectile would go behind bushes/shrubs, she would emerge a few minutes later, frisbee firmly entrenched in her mouth, with stickers (ouch) attached to her legs, blood dripping from her mouth and pine needles clinging to her hair. There was no way she was going to be denied. She played frisbee up until age (14). Best wishes to you for a peaceful Christmas season. 

Sending warmest regards & hugs your way,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
So funny about Shelby and her frisbee, Jim !
Typical Border Collie!
If Misty's frisbee got stuck up in a big tree, she could not understand why I didn't climb up and get it right that minute. She didn't even want to leave the tree.
If I could find a branch or long stick, I'd poke it down, otherwise we had to wait for the wind.
Then I'd have to go buy her another one the very next day!
Once we waited for 3 months for the wind to blow down a yellow fling-a-ring (frisbee with a hole in the middle)  which had got hooked on a tiny branch only about 1/4 inch thick!

Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Dear Aelphaba, I know you are going to be sad this Christmas without your little Paul Martin. But you are not alone. We are never far away.

And bless all these beautiful friends of ours, now in Spirit, and who love us always.

Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

I laughed when I read that Misty's frisbee used to get caught up in a tree. I can sit here and close my eyes and visualize the look on her face. It's a look that I know so well. Same for Shelby. I have a lot of trees and shrubs in my back yard and her frisbee was constantly getting stuck on branches, tree limbs and on top of shrubbery. Shelby would wait for me to either rescue it or try and free it herself, provided it was on a smaller shrub. So, I know the look very well. What a wonderful memory.

Warmest regards and hugs sent your way,

Jim 
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0