BorderCollieLover
Puma on Couch Downsized Photo.jpg 

Picture of my 1st Border Collie - Puma. She was the consummate swimmer. I have a wonderful memory of her that I wanted to share. I took her to The Delaware Water Gap one hot, Summer day years ago for some swimming. There were about (50) people swimming in the waist-high water of the Delaware River. I figured that it would be okay for my girl. No sooner had I let her out of the car then she took a running leap and splashed into the water. She did her doggie paddle and really had a blast. She paddled over to each and every person (Yes, each person) for attention and affirmation that she was "the coolest dog" at The DWG that day. Everyone was petting her and telling me what a beautiful dog she was. This went on for about (2) hours. She had that boundless energy. One young kid yelled out to me, "Hey, doesn't your dog ever get tired?" I yelled back to him, "No, she never seems to." Finally after a few hours of non-stop swimming, my little girl had finally had enough. I went to dry her off with a towel when she finally stepped back onto land. She had other ideas, She started to shake and spray water all over me and several onlookers who had come to say goodbye to her. We were soaking wet all over again. It was very funny. On the way home, she curled up on the back seat of the car and fell fast asleep. She slept all the way home. It was a memorable day. One that I will always remember. Puma was an incredible BC. Although she's been gone for a while, she is forever in my thoughts. I loved her so much.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BoxerMomForever
She was a beauty. Thanks for sharing her story.
Linda *Mom to two boxer angels* Lily {White Girl} 6/22/09 - 10/14/19  ** Ginger {Flashy Fawn Girl} 6/4/97 - 5/28/09
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Jim, Puma is a beautiful girl. I can see the energy in her face!

That was a lovely story about what happened with her at the Delaware Water Gap. How nice to honour her with a memory to share for all of us, as well as your Sweet Shelby.

Misty hated water !! (lol)
But our friend, who accompanied us almost everywhere we went, was a Border Collie, and a swimmer. He plunged into anything wet and deep enough that he could find. He would keep swimming when lesser mortals would have dropped.

I thus, can imagine the untiring energy of your Puma swimming for 2 hours non stop, and charming everyone.
Thank you Jim. And bless your Soul too dear Puma !
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Thanks Linda. Yes, Puma certainly was a beauty. She had that boundless Border Collie energy level. She's in my thoughts and prayers each day. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

Yes, Puma was incredible. It's interesting to note that Puma and Shelby were very different in many ways. Puma loved to swim; Shelby didn't like the water at all (like your Misty). Puma wasn't much for frisbee catching (she hurt her back one time when playing frisbee); whereas Shelby was probably born with a frisbee in her mouth. Puma would try and herd other dogs with a textbook BC style approach; Shelby had a more direct approach: she would go up and get in the other dog's face and nip at them if they didn't yield to her demands. They were my little girls. Would like to hear more about Misty's Border Collie friend. Were they best buddies? 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
chilover
She's absolutely lovely Jim. She certainly looks like she likes her ball.

Angelina
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Angelina:

Thanks so much. Yes. Puma was a wonderful dog. I think about her each and every day. She was my little girl - now and forever.

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Old Dog Jet holding my hand.jpg  Misty &Jet little pic.jpg
Dear Jim, yes Misty and Jet were best buddies, and mates too for many years. Misty was "entire" for a long time, and Jet had been neutered, so I used to let them get on with it....haha... They were like an old married couple.
Jet was a true and faithful friend but quite nuts in a charming sort of way. Misty used to hen-peck him slightly, giving him the distinct impression she wore the trousers....and he always used to give in to her, grinning about it and not the slightest bit bothered.
She used to wrestle the frisbee off him, and hide it somewhere ! Or if he had a stick in his mouth, she would sidle up to him, and steal it off him! And go and hide that too.

Jet passed away 18 months after Misty.

Jet was not my own dog but lived at the farm nearby. He spent most of his days with us.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Mistysmama:

Thanks for posting the pics of Jet & Misty. I've never met a Border Collie yet that I didn't like. There's just something about the breed that is so appealing to me. One of their most endearing qualities is that they always seem to bond very deeply with their human person. They  interact very well with most people but always reserve their best for their human significant other. I remember you saying that Jet belonged to the farmer that lived nearby but was always sneaking over to hang out with Misty. That picture of Misty hanging out with Jet is priceless. What an incredible friendship they forged. 

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
Yes, Border Collies do bond very deeply with their human companion. I have another friend too, in Scotland Borders who had a true and loving Border Collie girl who passed many years ago. He will never forget her, and her love and loyalty. I do believe she was the truest most fine relationship he ever had in his life.

Jet loved his Mama, the farmer's wife. I think he enjoyed having an extended family too, and enfolded Misty and myself in his "pack".

He was very loyal to his people....just loved to go awol. especially when he was supposed to be working with the cows! He preferred playing frisbee to getting the cows in. The farmer used to laugh, and just let him go and run across the fields to us, and got a quad bike instead....lol!

Border Collies are wonderful dogs and friends for life.

Quote 0 0