A Pet's Prayer 
If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then, you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
Only, stay with me to the end,
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time you will see,
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you,
Who decides this thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Smile, for we walked together,
for a little while

[image]
Quote 0 0
Po
So true. So beautiful. Yet so sad that all of us are feeling this terrible pain.

We all miss our babies so very much.
Quote 0 0
StephenD
Bret,

That poem is the absolute best thing I have read in the last 10 days. It speaks to the wonderful years that I spent with my dog Winnie as well as the difficult but necessary decision I made in the end. And while it was among the hardest things that I have ever done...I stayed with her in her final moments, held her, and talked to her...until her eyes could no longer see.

So many people have been talking about the guilt that they are feeling. This wonderful poem that you shared shows that it took considerable courage and selflessness for us to do what we did.

Thanks for posting the perfect thing at the perfect time. It made me shed a few more tears but it also warmed my heart a little.

Stephen
Quote 0 0
phalaris14
 I did not write this poem. I found it on this website right after my precious Lady died. It helps so much that it should be re-posted every couple of weeks. 
[image]
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Thank you Bret for this poem. You're right. It should be re-posted because it speaks the truth about our loving bonds & the choices we make for our best buds. Whether a week ago or a year ago...it is so hard when the decision has to be made. Then it's so much harder living-- even breathing without them. Hugs, Kasey
Quote 0 0
sarab
Thank you for posting this.  As hard as it was to read, it also warmed my heart.  I couldn't help but cry but that has been common since losing Teddy because of the deep love and bond I had with him.  I pray for your peace.
Quote 0 0