Forum

Author   Comment  
OZ1953

Reply with quote  #1 

We had two beautiful boxer boys that were half brothers.  One was brindle, the other was fawn.  Their personalities were opposites.  Rexx the brindle chose me, the Fawn, Otto chose my hubby as his best buddy.  We had them in our lives for about 9 or so years.  We took care of their health issues as they came up and always gave them good preventative care.  One day in Nov, it was a friday, we notice that Rexx had some swollen lymph nodes in his neck.  Saturday the vet was closed. We fed him soft food, thinking he had a dental abcess or something similar.  Monday morning my hubby took him to the vet while I was working.  I remember the call like it was yesterday.  No, it was not a dental infection. He had swollen  lymph nodes in other areas.  Most likely it was lymphoma.  A biopsy was done and that afternoon we received the sad news.  It was at a stage where nothing could be done.  We knew we would have to lay him to rest at some point.  later that week, the lymph nodes grew tremendously large.  He became week.  It all happened so fast.  My hubby called me at work, I needed to come home and say goodbye. It was time.  I was devestated.  But at least we still had Otto to cuddle with at night and enjoy playing with. He had been my husbands companion for years but he intuitively knew how much I needed him now.  On Dec 18, I came home from work, my husband told me to sit down.  He had something to tell me. He was very sensitive.  I knew something was up. He said to me "otto is dead". I was in shock.  We both cried. He then told me that he had Otto  outside. His health was good, he was very energetic.  He was outside while my husband was getting the mail.  He noticed that Otto was acting unusual, he was sitting in the snow. Boxers hate the cold and would never sit iin the snow.  He got up and started walking toward my husband and collapsed. He was barely alive when he got the dog into the car and rushed to the Vet's office, just 2 miles away.  He rushed in for help, when he returned, Otto looked at him and took his last breath.  He died in my husband's arms. Unbelievably we lost two dogs in 6 weeks.  I never in a million years could have imagined that happening.  Otto passed away from Boxer cardiomyopathy, something we never knew he had.  I never got to say good bye.  . . . . . .  My husband and I are still in such pain.  He does not want another dog.  I need one.  The is just the way it is. 

kathic

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry for your loss.  I know how much it hurts.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  I, too, lost my precious Newby to DCM (dilated cardiomyophathy).  He never had any symptoms until the day he looked up at me and just collapsed.  Like you, I was and still am in utter shock.  My baby was just 5 1/2 years old and had just had his yearly physcial and everything was fine.  My vet said that sometimes it just happens and they show no symptoms until they just collapse.  He also said it is common in boxers, dobermans, great danes and other deep chested breeds.  That sure does not make it any better to hear, but does make you aware of this dreaded disease.  I know that our babies are well and happy at the bridge and look in on us from time to time.  Take care and please know that you are not alone in your grief. 
Susie_Squillions

Reply with quote  #3 
Oh, OZ ~

What unbearable heartache!  I am so sorry to hear about these two tragic losses, so close together.  I can't imagine how bruised and torn your hearts must be.

Give your husband time to come to the point of knowing that he needs doggy love too.  He witnessed both deaths, and it must add another dimension to his sorrow.  I know that not being there adds its own dimension for you, but those two things are worlds apart.  When the time is right, Otto and Rexx will whisper in your husband's ear and send you the dog(s) who need you most.  Our Bridge angels have a way of doing that.  Whether we think we're prepared or not, they know when the time is right and we follow their leads.. 

I have lost kitties to both lymphoma and cardiomyopathy.  They are insidious diseases.  Lymphoma grows so quickly, and just as we're adjusting to the fact that it's there, it takes our best friends. 

In our case with the cardiomyopathy, we were fortunate that Bingo had an episode that wasn't fatal, so we were given a chance to treat him.  We had 5 bonus years.  I have never heard of a cat or dog surviving that diagnosis for so long, and neither had our vet at the time.  Bing was diagnosed in 1988, when treatment was in its infancy, and his recovery for those 5 years was astonishing.  I wish you could have had that warning and the chance to have kept Otto with you for a while longer.  I can tell you that it took him quickly and relatively painlessly, and I hope that as the shock of your double losses begins to fade, you will find comfort in knowing that you did everything you could have done for both of your beautiful boys.  Boxers are such kind, loving, and silly dogs.  I can only imagine how empty your home must feel right now.

Rexx and Otto are your special angels now, together forever, running free and young at the Rainbow Bridge.  I know that Bingo, Buddy, and all of my Bridge Kids are pestering them for doggy back rides among the heavens.

You, your husband, and your two angels are in my thoughts and prayers.

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.