GoneTooSoon
Well, it's been 3 years since my boy Hunter was taken from me, and it took me 4 days make this post. I still visit this site every week and I still grieve. Not as much as I did 3 years ago, but enough that I don't think I'll ever get over it.

I took him everywhere, but I was too lazy to take him to the vet regularly (at least in the early years that I had him) and when I finally did, it was too late. It was the hardest lesson I ever had to learn.

Now with this horrible weather, it has pretty much ruined - or delayed indefinitely - his outdoor memorial.

He is buried in the backyard near his favorite tree, and after 3 years I still haven't found the time to get him a proper headstone.

I wish I could go back in time and start over again.
Quote 0 0
TashasDad
GoneTooSoon,

I am very sorry for your loss of Hunter. I understand when our beloved dogs are taken quickly and unexpectedly from us.

My loss is 5 months for my dog Tasha. I expect to visit this site for years also. And I will be shocked if I do not still grieve for her for many years. 

I read your other posted topics where you shared much more about you and Hunter. You had an incredibly special bond and love with Hunter.  I try to remind myself of the wonderful times. Daily wonderful times. That Tasha and I enjoyed together. Most humans and their dogs do not get this close to each other --- you and Hunter, me and Tasha.

We were not able to bury her in our backyard as Hunter is. I wish we were able to. 

More than anything, I like you, wish I could go back in time and start over again. 

Tasha's Dad
Quote 1 0
LisaAndy
So sorry, I think feeling guilty is normal and part of the grieving. I mean I noticed my dog seemed off on Sunday but I didn't call the vet until Tuesday because Monday was so busy and crazy. I know the outcome would have been the same but I didn't think it was anything serious, but I hate myself for not taking him in right away! I don't think I'll ever forgive myself. I thought it was no big deal actually but now I know he was suffering. They hide their pain from us, which I have learned.
I am trying to get on with things because the constant grief is interfering with my life in a huge way and I'm gaining weight, I'm not sleeping, I'm cancelling things to do with people.  I don't really want to live like this but I think the grief puts you into this state and it's so hard to come out of it.

Good luck to you and I think soon you will be able to settle on a great headstone.

Hugs

Lisa
Quote 1 0
GoneTooSoon
Thanks to everyone for replying, I really appreciate anyone taking the time to read my posts and share their stories. I still think about him every day. It's a hard pill to swallow.
Quote 0 0
LuckyLouWho23
I'm sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing this. I wish that we could have buried our dogs in our yard. We have their ashes. My daughter wanted to keep both of them close to her. It's hard for me to look at their ashes and not cry.
Quote 0 0
AbbeyRoad52
I completely understand what you are feeling, because I'm sitting in bed at 2:20 in the morning crying for the same reason. I lost my cat Dusty last October, its almost been a year and I still think about her every day. I miss her so much. I still grieve quite often like you. Like you buried her in my backyard and i wish i hadnt because if i ever move she will be here. I do love the comfort knowing thay even though she is gone shes here in her yard that she loved. Every once in a while if I talk about her or someone mentions her later that I'll be just like this, wishing she were cuddled next to me. 
I'll be honest I dont think that pain part ever goes away, and I think part of us doesn't want it to out of fear we may forget our best friends, or by giving ourselves closure it means we are totally over it. I know I'll never be over losing my beautiful cat. She meant too much and was too big a part of my life. A piece of my heart went with her. ❤
Quote 0 0
AbbeyRoad52
I completely understand what you are feeling, because I'm sitting in bed at 2:20 in the morning crying for the same reason. I lost my cat Dusty last October, its almost been a year and I still think about her every day. I miss her so much. I still grieve quite often like you. Like you I buried her in my backyard and part of me wishes I hadnt because if I ever move she will still be here. I do however love the comfort now knowing that even though she is gone she's here in her yard that she loved. Every once in a while if I talk about her or someone mentions her later that I'll be just like this, wishing she were cuddled next to me. 
I'll be honest I dont think that pain part ever goes away, and I think part of us doesn't want it to out of fear we may forget our best friends, or by giving ourselves closure it means we are totally over it. I know I'll never be over losing my beautiful cat. She meant too much and was too big a part of my life. A piece of my heart went with her. ❤
Quote 0 0
GoneTooSoon
It's Hunter's 4 year anniversary and almost a year since I last posted here, but I never forget. Thanks to everyone for your support, prayers and kind words.

I have no idea how old Hunter would be if he were still alive, because he was well into adulthood when he came into my life. He never showed any signs of illness then one day he just slipped away.

Someday we will be together in a place where we never get sick and we never grow old.

Until then, Rest In Peace my best friend ever.

h045.jpg 
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
❣️
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0